- I'm sober and I want to drink

I'm sober and I want to drink

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

I'm sober and I want to drink

Postby donna » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:30 pm

I have been sober since 9-23-82 and I find myself wanting a drink. Haven't been to a meeting in a very long time. Help!
donna

Postby norohs » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:03 pm

Talk to another alcoholic, preferably your sponsor.

Go to a meeting.

Pray for relief. Confess to your higher power your shortcomings, ask to be relieved of self, ask for the willingness to do His will, etc..

Help someone no matter how small it seems.

If you find you can't or won't do all of these things, readdress the 12 Step program.

What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 85

I'm praying for you Donna. 8)
norohs

Postby cue » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:37 pm

Great to hear from you Donna! It must have been hard to admit that. You have helped me greatly tonight.
Please stay.
Get to a meeting. Get back doing the things you did when you first came in. Keep in touch.
cue

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:05 pm

Welcome to the forum Donna. I understand. I've been there, too. I think at some times -- we've all been there.

As Cue mentioned -- the hardest thing about getting through it is to admit it -- and since you've done that, you've done the hardest part of it!

It you think about what it's like now -- and magnify that times 1,000 -- that's what it would be like if you do drink. So, first and foremost, go to ANY LENGTHS -- TO NOT TAKE THE FIRST ONE -- and, with a little help, you will get through this, without losing everything you've got now.

If you've been away for so long that you don't know anyone to call, you can call one of us. I'll give you my number if it will help. Or, call a local Central Office, or Hotline number, if there is one near you. And, even better, if there is a meeting near by -- go to it!

When I've been in the same situation, what I did to get through it was: I called on the old phone numbers that I had for AA friends that I hadn't seen in a while. I started out just like a newcomer again -- without drinking first.

Sometimes, we can think of "What would I say to a new person to do, if they were experiencing the same thing?" And, then, do, ourselves, what we would tell someone else to do.

Hang in there and we'll walk with you through it.

I doubt if there is a need to suggest to pray -- I'm sure you've probably been doing much of that already! Now, just back up the prayer with actions and you'll get through it.

Here for you,

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

want to drink

Postby donna » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:16 pm

Thanks so much for the support. It's good to know people are still there. I drove around for a couple of hours driving by old aa meetings i use to go to thinking someone would be there. Walked through the mall and made it home sober. I am going to get to a meeting. I am just as close to a drink as i ever have been. This is what happens when you think you can do it on your own.
donna

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:25 pm

I sent you a private message w/ my number. Use it if you'd like.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:06 am

Just checking to see how you're doing. I hope that all went well.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sunlight » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:34 am

Hi Donna,

We don't want you to drink!

We want you to come back to the fellowship of alcoholics and share your experience of how you really wanted to drink, but you took action and didn't do it.

We need you! Your experience is valuable to us.

Thank you for sharing with us. Don't leave us.

Love,
sunlight
sunlight

Postby gunner48 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:04 am

Hi Donna
Dallas hit it on the head. Praying works if you follow them with action. I just moved back to Texarkana and got in touch with a old AA friend. She hadn't been to a meeting in years. Had been home `taking care of a very sick husband. He passed in March and I got her back inside the rooms of AA. It was if she had never missed a meeting. The folks welcomed her and said how much they missed her smiling face. Offered her help where she needed it. I just bet your AA friends will give you the hugs, smiles and laughter you need. Best of luck to you. Men of faith have courage. When the loins chase the wilderbeast they only seek out the ones on the outside to eat. Rejoin the herd. Get into the middle and your friends will help protect you.
Peace and Love
Gunner
gunner48

Postby Camel » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:10 am

Donna,

Hope you've been to a meeting by now. I've tried meetings and no meetings. Meetings is better for me. If I don't hear that repetition of what it was like, what happened, and what it's like now, my alcoholic mind forgets just how bad it was. Bad things happen when I forget what I am, and what I'm supposed to do about it. Hope you come back and enjoy the Good Life!

Hub
Camel

Next

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery