- A belief which practically every alcoholic has...

A belief which practically every alcoholic has...

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

A belief which practically every alcoholic has...

Postby Dallas » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:57 pm

"Then he fell victim to a belief which practically every alcoholic has — that his long period of sobriety and self-discipline had qualified him to drink as other men." ~pg 32, Big Book

"Commencing to drink after a period of sobriety, we are in a short time as bad as ever. If we are planning to stop drinking, there must be no reservation of any kind, -- nor any lurking notion that someday we will be immune to alcohol." ~pg 41, Big Book

You don't believe it? Just ask us! Most of us have experienced this.

I'm grateful -- that so far, yet... 25 yrs ago was the last time it happened to me! However -- this day is not over yet. And, today -- is the most important day of my sobriety.

Recovery IS Possible! We can recover. And, we DO recover! But, we are NOT cured!

If I don't keep sobriety as my #1 priority in life -- I'll lose it. I don't have to be hungry, angry, lonely or tired -- I can be well fed, peaceful, feeling like I have many friends, and be celebrating the good life! My last drink was on Nov. 14th., 1986. And, all I've got to do is let up on doing the actions -- that keep me sober -- and, I'll be drinking again.

Do I think about drinking? No.
Am I fighting it? No.
Am I afraid I'll drink again? No.

However -- I try to not let one minute consciously go by that I don't remind myself that -- I'm an alcoholic! I've seen what happens to those -- that forget.

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sunlight » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:35 pm

Would this be "forgetting" the first step?

I have a friend in AA, and when he calls me, the first thing he says is, "You're an alcoholic."
I always thank him for keeping it front and center.

If you call me, I'm going to tell you the same thing! :lol: :lol:
sunlight

Postby ~Jools~ » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:23 pm

No matter how hard it has been this last month, I have not thought of taking a drink.

I cry, stomp my feet, etc., but no drinking.
~Jools~

Postby Pebbles » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:22 am

Thanks everyone for your experience, strength, and hope! :)
Pebbles

Postby Toast » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:18 am

Cant agree enough with Keith.

Was caught up doing nothing but BB groups for a while, treated it like some sacred text, ' Death to Unbelievers!' and all that. I still believe most of whats in it is God given but i felt i was becoming an automated response machine, hit me with a problem and i'll quote a passage from the BB to fix YOU! :lol:

This was me really forgetting where i came from, when i came in i couldn't even read a book for over 2 years. And if i tried to read a novel with more than two characters in it i'd have to flick the pages back and forth to remind myself who was who? :?

Today i think recovery is as individual as your thumb print, what works for one wont work for another and i've no right to insist others do it ' My Way' (no wonder that song is the drunks national anthem?) As long as they keep coming back and dont drink between meetings God will get to them far quicker than i can take them to God. :wink:
Toast

Postby Toast » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:49 am

In AA the most important thing i've learned is to let people be people, we're all different but all trying to climb the same mountain. just some of us are taking different routes! :lol:
Toast

Postby Dallas » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:35 am

True. And, sometimes, sharing with them what didn't work -- doesn't seem to do much good. I guess each alcoholic must discover for himself and herself "what doesn't work" before they're willing to try what will work.

My problem, my first time around was -- I had spent so much time on what wasn't going to work and not enough time on what was going to work -- that I ended up back out there drinking before I was finished with my explorations and research. :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby norohs » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:55 am

Thanks for the topic.

I was speaking with a young man last night. He has found some understanding of the inner workings of the mind through some Carnegie (?sp) literature, much like I've found in Peter Sheppard's work.

I cautioned him that those works were to 'empower' the mind to change for the better, much like AA, BUT that unlike AA, they feel 'all' problems can be resolved. They were likely to make the person believe that they could once again regain control and power over alcohol... and this would be a huge mistake.

I shared my beliefs that if he was an alcoholic like I am, and felt that somehow he could once again enjoy alcohol with his 'new-found' knowledge of the inner workings of his mind, he WILL eventually find a new bottom.

I can empathize with where he's at. He doesn't know for sure that he's an alcoholic. Oh, he has good reason for being in AA and has all the traits of being an alcoholic, but he's struggling to come to terms with it, i.e. the First Step. Even for me, with a bottom floored with bedrock, I still had to look deeply inside my self and at least consider I was an alcoholic. I came to believe I was, but my first step was a willingness to honestly look at my past record of drinking. That was a big hurdle for me; and so it is with him.

Thanks for the quotes in the original post. He'll be at a meeting Monday that I chair. I think I've found my topic. :)
norohs

Postby Dallas » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:30 pm

There are a lot of really good tools outside of AA. However, like you, I think it's best if we get solid in our 12 Steps recovery before exploring with some of them. They didn't write their books with specific warning labels of "this part should not be tried by an alcoholic -- but if you do try it, here's what you need to keep in mind." :wink:

I thing part of the combination that opens the lock on sobriety for an alcoholic is explained on pg 30 of the Big Book. THEY must become convinced -- and THEY MUST convince their innermost self -- that THEY are really an alcoholic. We can help them -- but, we can't convince them. They must convince themselves. The more we try to convince them -- we may risk driving them further away from the solution. They'll think we're preaching, or lecturing, or trying to tell them to do something -- and if they think this -- they will do everything in their power -- to do just the opposite of what we suggest. :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:42 am

For me the trouble with all those books written by the self help guru's is they tell us we can be anything we want to be when in reality many of us are not 'equiped' to be anything we want to be.

Its a bit like the booze, it too told me i could be anything i wanted to be. When drinking i suffered from ' big shotism'. I'd sit in low brow bars talking big deals smoking big cigars and flashing money i didnt have around the bar like it was going out of fashion. The reality was the ass was ripped out my pants, i stank and my employer and my long suffering with and kids at home hadn't a clue where i was for the last few days. But in my sick mind i was a poweful person with the world at my finger tips. If only everyone thought like me everything would be OK wouldn't it?

No it wouldn't. And basically that's what was wrong, it was MY thinking. I'd bought into the materialists dream, and it was just a dream, it was all about what the world could give ME not what i could do for my fellow man. Selfish and self centred to the core.

The singer James Taylor describes it wonderfully well. In a magazine interview i read he said booze changed him from a mild mannered Clark Kent into Superman. After the first drink he'd run to the nearest phone booth, change into his Superman costume then fly off into the sky having all these wonderful adventures eventually saving the world then coming home to a fanfare of plaudits from the grateful masses. The reality was when he eventually came too covered in his own filth he realised he'd never even left the phone booth?

Now that i can relate too! :lol:
Toast

Next

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober