- ICYPAA

ICYPAA

Discussion related to the 12 Traditions

ICYPAA

Postby cue » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:11 pm

I know ICYPAA is quite common in the states. We just had our first EURYPAA convention here in Ireland and it there has been a lot of controversy over it. A lot of people are confused about how it fits in with AA traditions.
My understanding is that they are "special interest" groups and as such they are not recognised by the conscience of Ireland so they are treated as an outside issue.
It would be great to hear people's experiences on this.
cue

Postby Dallas » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:47 pm

The only info that I have to share is: The Grapevine provides a link to them and have featured stories about them. I didn't notice a link on the AAWS website.

Here is the link info offered by the Gravevine:
http://www.aagrapevine.org/feature/511

You might also find additional info in some of the past issues of the "Box 459" publication on the AAWS website. However, I'm not sure about this.

ICYPAA had it's start as an effort to reach young alcoholics and to introduce them to AA.

Special Interest? Yes. I do believe that it is.

At the same time, it can be said that:
Open-meetings, Closed-meetings, Literature meetings, Discussion Meetings, Young People's meetings, Gay & Lesbian meetings, are "Special Interest." However, most Intergroups, Central Offices, and the GSO printed directories and websites -- include contact information for them.

Would it be considered "An outside enterprise"? By some, I guess it could be, and by some it might not. I don't know if there is an such a thing as an "official connection" of them, to AA. So, I really don't feel qualified to offer a specific opinion.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:51 pm

The reason that I mention the Grapevine is: The Grapevine, which is an "outside enterprise" -- is considered to be "The Official Newsletter of Alcoholics Anonymous." So -- if there is a controversy about it, I guess that controversy should also include the Grapevine -- and, those that support the Grapevine.

Do they support the Grapevine, in Ireland? If they do -- then, perhaps, if it is there opinion that ICYPAA would go against the Traditions, or 12 Concepts -- then, they should also take issue with the Grapevine.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby cue » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Thanks Dallas.
I'm not really qualified either as I have no experience of ICYPAA apart from ending up at one of their dances at a world convention. It was a long day and I'm not a night person so I was only passing through. They sure seemed enthusiastic though and I love that.
I do have concerns about their relationship with AA though. The chief one is the question about whether they are AA or not? The public question it, the members question it and there is no clarity around it. This is hardly a unified clear message.
I'm not sure about whether the Irish service structure supports the Grapevine. Probably not directly. We have our own newsletter here - The Road Back, but I take your point.
My understanding of the Grapevine and AAWS is that they are directly responsible to the fellowship through the delegates, just like GSO. So even though they have to be incorporated and operate as outside enterprises they still serve the groups through the AA structure.
I could be wrong though :?
The reason I ask is because a lot of members are asking the same question here and I'm just trying to get some clarity on it.
cue

Postby Dallas » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:22 pm

I'm sure that whatever the decision is by the Collective Group Conscience of Ireland AA is -- will be the right decision, and that's the decision I would support.
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to 12 Traditions Discussion