- Step 12 - Hospital Service

Step 12 - Hospital Service

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Step 12 - Hospital Service

Postby norohs » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:53 pm

About 2 years before getting sober, I was in the hospital for complications of alcoholism. I was at a bottom and ready for a change, but I didn't. A Chaplin came to see me, much like he did for anyone who was in the hospital. He didn't understand me when I was telling him that my life was out of control. Looking back, I'm shocked he didn't have anything more then a prayer to offer me.

How very nice it would have been to have someone from AA come to visit me.

Anyway, I'm finding out that our group doesn't have any working relationships with local hospitals or doctors. They do plenty of treatment center work (which I'm active in), but not the kind of work that would have helped me.

Does anyone have any suggestions in building a working relationship with hospitals, doctors or Chaplins? I've been told that maybe due to HIPAA laws, getting someone into the hospitals is harder if not near impossible now a days.

I'm just starting this, so any thoughts, no matter how elementary, would be appreciated.

My first thought would be to contact the hospital's Chaplin, explain what happened to me and see what he has to say.

Thanks,

Gary
--
norohs

Postby Pebbles » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:05 pm

Very good topic!! I'm also interested in this.....after all, working with another alcoholic is what it's all about, isn't it?? :) I will definately keep this post on the top of my list!
Now, I'm patiently waiting..... :)
Pebbles

Postby Toast » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:51 am

The meeting i attended last night was held in the dayroom of my local hospital. There's an AA meeting there 3 times a week in the room right next to the Psychiatric ward were people like us often end up. :?

It is customary for the group secretary to find out if anyone in this ward wants to attend the AA meeting next door. Many of those that do attend are often people who used to come to AA but for some reason thought they could do better staying sober on their own. :(

And therein lies the lesson for me. Every week i see people, some who had many years of continuous soberiety, come back to the meetings via this same psychiatric ward. We had 3 visitors from the ward last night, some new to AA some not so and one very, very not so. All 3 looked very sick and in need of more help that medicine could provide. :)

Made me more grateful for what i've got today. Reminded me i'll never have this sober thing cracked. I'm only here today through the grace of God and left to my own resources i could still destroy myself, slowly but surely one day at a time. 8)

My buddy jokes that attending AA is like being part of the mafia, try and turn your back on us and your a dead man! :lol:
Toast

Postby norohs » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:40 am

I spoke to a local hospital yesterday in the volunteer department. They said that they were not aware of AA being in the hospital at all. They said that if the patient manager decides that someone needs help with alcoholism, they would be referred to a treatment center.

They are going to make some calls for me and get back to me today, so they say.

More to come. I'll share what I find out.
norohs

Postby norohs » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:12 am

Also spoke to our Inter Group and they were not aware of any working relationships with hospitals per sae, though from time-to-time they call on the 12th step volunteers they have listed if a hospital or the family contacts AA. It was made to sound as though it was a rarity at best.
norohs

Postby Toast » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:33 pm

Some good news then, hope it goes well for all concerned.

Here every intergroup has a ' Health Liason Officer' who's job it is to build relationships with hospitals and doctors. This person is usually 1st port of call when a patient ASK'S for some help.

Be well :lol:
Toast

Postby cue » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:06 pm

We have a hospital committe here in our locality. They have a good relationship with the psychiatric ward as a lot of our members would have been in there at some stage both before and after they went to AA so they know the nurses.
The committee inform us whenever there is someone in there who would like a visit. It is pretty informal. Most times the patients who are in AA just want to know that they are not alone and are still part of the fellowship. The nurses often let the patients go downtown for a meeting.
They also find out if there is anyone in the regular hospital who would like a member to visit them
cue

Postby norohs » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Good information Cue.

Still chasing this one...
norohs

Postby norohs » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:13 pm

The hospital got back to me today.

They are interested in sitting down with us and defining how we could be of service. It won't be 100% as I had envisioned it, but 95% will be acceptable and close enough.

They do have some 'hoops' to jump through, but nothing unreasonable. Everyone who volunteers (AA or not) will have to jump through the same hoops. They are:

* Criminal background check - no violent convictions.
* Immunization records - if none, a blood test is taken to find deficiencies.
* Tested for TB
* Orientation in Patient Etiquette
* Be added to an Approved List before service work can begin

(no terms of Length Of Sobriety have been discussed, but it may come into play)

They CAN NOT (understandably) request our visiting patience, but if the patient requests help for alcoholism, someone from the approved list will be called and we would be expected to visit them in short order. What we can and can't say will be covered in the orientation and a sit-down meeting the AA people and the board before this all starts.

All in all, is seems to be a reasonable attempt on the hospital's part to include the AA Option for their patients.

Now, to see if I'm alone or if other members can find an interest in this kind of service work. We'll see on that. :?
norohs

Return to 12 Steps