- Yeah, but. But, not butt. It happens when least expected.

Yeah, but. But, not butt. It happens when least expected.

Expect the unexpected... or discovered the unsuspected?

Yeah, but. But, not butt. It happens when least expected.

Postby Dallas » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:06 pm

Well, I hope that all of you here in the USA survived Tax Day!

For me, it was a real crunch with a huge bite in the butt! Butt? But? Butt! (Where have I heard that before?)

Could we use that for a meeting topic?

Yeah, but. But, not butt.

But.

A simple three letter word that we hear so often – that can take on so many different meanings.

Example: Yeah, but... for the grace of God. Or, “Yeah, but... my case is different.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:00 pm

"Yeah, but" is probably the most famous introduction to an excuse or--if you want to add 4 syllables--rationalization for not doing what I know I'm supposed to do.

Here are some examples from the AA Big Book to rehabilitate the word 'but' from an excuse to a word that leads us to positive action

'We thought we could find an easier, softer way, but we could not.'

'There may be a valid reason for postponement [for righting wrongs]in some cases. But we don't delay if it can be avoided'

'But we must be careful not to drift into worry, remorse or morbid reflection, for that would diminish our usefulness to otheres."

"But obviously you cannot transmit something you haven't got"

"But why shouldn't we laugh? We have recovered and have been given the power to help others"
Tim

Postby Dallas » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:48 pm

Very nice! :wink: Thank you, Tim!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:27 pm

Like this topic.

One word i go to any lenghts not to use is ' should'. He should, they should, i should, my boss should, the group should and so on and so on. :roll:

If i do say it it means things are not going my way, which is usually a good thing, and i want everyone to change direction and see what they're doing isn't what i want, which is also a very good thing! :lol:
Toast

Postby Dallas » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:18 pm

It's a word that I wish I could eliminate from my vocabulary -- for sure!

When I use it -- I'm mostly unaware and unconscious that I'm using it -- knowing all the trouble that it brings to me.

Thanks for the reminder!

I've found, that for me, it's those little things -- even a single word -- that can be like a splinter that produces a growing infection.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:18 pm

It gets worse.

Here's another one that get's me going, the word is ' issues'. Everyone seems to have issues these days?

My boss called my buddy to a meeting to discuss his 'time keeping issues'. He's alway's late, his snooze button goes ten rounds with Joe Frazer every morning :D

A project our department was working on was late due to 'procedural issues.' Meaning no one had a clue what they were meant to be doing? :?

A female colleague claims she's up all night due to her husband having ' nasal issues'. The guy snores like a train! :lol:

I've got a feeling there will be more? :P

Love,light, laughter :D
Toast

Postby Dallas » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:03 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ME, TOO!

When I hear someone using the word "issues" it takes everything I've got to not blurt out "IS SHOES? -- HIS SHOES OR HER SHOES?" :lol:

And, when I hear them using that word, or if I'm reading it -- my automatic thought is "Are you trying to impress yourself or someone else -- that you know more about what you think you know something about?" :lol:

I guess my reaction is just deeply programmed into me. :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: Yeah, but. But, not butt. It happens when least expecte

Postby chollis » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:30 pm

These sayings are all true. One that I like to use instead of issues is opportunities. I also have noticed that some people also use the word "umm" a lot. Opportunities to me is a more professonal way of saying issue or problem. I picked this up from a friend who was talking about work and she was telling us about opportunites that she has at work. I also find that when some people are nervous when they are talking they keep saying "umm" when they least expect it.
chollis

Return to Expect The Unexpected in Sobriety