- Whats Your Best Day Sober?

Whats Your Best Day Sober?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Whats Your Best Day Sober?

Postby Toast » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi,

Had enough of my own 'morbid reflections' lately, thought i'd lighten the tone. After all is that not what God brought us all together for? :lol:

My best day sober by far was not long after i came in to stay almost 18 years ago. It was at my sons school sports day, he'd be an innocent 11 year old at the time and was just about as sick as me due to the effects of my alcoholism. It was the school marathon where all the young boys his age had to run around these huge playing fields i dont know how many times. Anyway he ran his heart out and came in fourth, just out of the prizes but boy did he give it all he had. And thats all i could ever ask for. :D

Since then i've had many great time sober, became a muture student and won a place at a prestigious college i put the roof on when i worked on the tools. Once there i gained some notable qualifications that got me jobs a guy like me could only dream about plus i've travelled the world and seen some breath taking sights, everything from cruising down the Panama Canal to visiting the tombs in Egypt's Valley of Kings. Also seen my 2 kids married off and the birth of 4 grandkids. But nothing, just nothing has ever come close to the heart warming feelings i had on that day. :lol:

And if it can happen for a sick guy like me who was led by the hand into AA, unemployed and unemployable and didnt know if it was New Year or New York? :wink:

And they say the best is yet to come, so dont give up before the miracle happens! 8)

Love,light and laughter! :lol:
Toast

Postby PaleMale » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi, Toast,

I just joined this forum. And TODAY is the best day of my sobriety!
PaleMale

Postby Dallas » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:02 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:49 am

Welcome aboard PaleMale. 8)

Hope soberiety does for you whats its done for millions of other who honestly wanted to get well. And more importantly to stay well! :lol:
Toast

Postby butch » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:08 am

My best day sober is today! My HP has done for me that which i could not do for myself, one day at a time.
butch

Postby Toast » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:53 pm

Good point Butch,

When you think on it it has to be today because thats another one i would never have seen if it were not for the guidance of my HP. If it was left up to me i'd be dead. 8)

I remember once telling an old lady in AA i'd rather put my neck on the railway tracks that do steps 4 & 5, because i knew it would eventually lead to steps 8 & 9. She politely told me i could do that if i wanted but i S.O.B like me wouldnt die because god has work for me to do on this earth and he wont let me go until its done. :shock:

Not one of the most uplifting conversations i've had in AA but by far one of the most important! :lol:
Toast

best day sober.

Postby crod-miracles » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:26 pm

hi all!

i'm new to this site and decided to join so i can have another tool to help keep me on track with sobriety.

at this point i've been sober for 114 days. thus far, i can honestly say that my best day sober is when i broke down and cried in the church parking lot a few weeks ago. this happened after a morning meet, while i was talking to some members.

i was just overwhelmed. something just came over me that was too much to contain. i was feeling so guilty for hurting the ones who love me and have been through this with me.

the reason why i say this is my best day sober, to this date, is because i realized that this if for real. my disease is real. me being a part of the program is real. the desire to stop drinking is real. i 'felt' for the first time in a long time.

something has to be working, and i am so greatful to God for nudging me to AA. i'm greatful for having the recovering alcoholics who are helping me along in this race with no finish line.

thanks for reading everyone! God Bless & Peace!

crod-miracles. :wink:
crod-miracles

Postby Dallas » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Welcome to the site CM. And, thanks for sharing!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:40 pm

Welcome CM, found what you said very moving.

Then again i suppose thats how we get sober, having the courage to share about what's really going on in our hearts.

Wishing you all the best in your search for soberiety. :lol:
Toast

Postby jzarvey » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:52 am

My best day sober was yesterday (Thursday). My 6 year old son is a Lego fanatic. At times our house looks like a Lego museum with all the stuff he has made on display.

My 11 year old daughter's room is the only bedroom in the house that has a functioning lock and my 2 year old son locked it, but didn't shut the door. My daughter had left her room and for whatever reason shut her door (Wednesday evening.) Chaos breaks out in the house at bedtime because my daughter can not get into her bedroom. My wife sends my daughter to tell me what happened and I calmly grab a couple tools and get my daughter's bedroom door open. I didn't cuss or nothing like I would have in my drinking days.

Thursday after dinner, my 6 year old son can't wait for me to get done cleaning up after dinner. When I finally get done he presents me with a "ribbon" and a trophy made from Legos for opening my daughter's door! It was such a small thing but it felt so good and he was so proud to have made it. I put them on the mantle above the fireplace and I'm not going to be in a hurry for him to put them away.

Jim H.
jzarvey

Next

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery