- A whole new life

A whole new life

Alcoholics and Addicts sharing their personal recovery story with us to help others who want to recover.

A whole new life

Postby alimac03 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:54 am

My name is Ali and I'm an alcoholic. My last "drunk" resulted in my admittance to hospital with acute pancreatitis, alcoholic hepatitis and liver damage. The Doctor told me that the damage I had done to myself was so extreme that I might not recover and that "People really do die of alcoholism!" I was frightened, scared and remorseful.....but unwilling to admit I was one of "Those alcoholics!"

Like many addicts, alcohol was not my only problem. For years I had battled with Bulimia/Anorexia and Cocaine Addiction, also leading to the detriment of my health. Did I want to die? Did I really want to push that self destruct button one my time!

When I recovered from my physical illness I went to my first A.A meeting. The people there were kind, warm and welcoming. They told me that if I was willing to admit I was an alcoholic, that I COULD recover and my life would be infinitely better.

That was 6 months ago and my life has NEVER BEEN BETTER.
I have a sponsor, I'm proactively working my way through the Steps and my obsession to drink has completely gone!

It's not all been easy. At first I questioned EVERYTHING and fought with the program and the Big Book. But one day the realization came to me; why fight something which is quite clearly going to make me a better person?!

I'm now living my life in a whole new perspective, One day at a time and with Hope Faith and Courage.

Thank You!
:o
alimac03

Postby Toast » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:20 am

Welcome Ali, great share.

Your enthusiasm for recovery has rubbed off on me, thanks :lol:
Toast

Return to Addiction Recovery Stories