- First day, cannot sleep and filled with anxiety

First day, cannot sleep and filled with anxiety

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

First day, cannot sleep and filled with anxiety

Postby Roger J » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:51 am

I am in my first 24 hours of sobriety. My anxiety is so high I could only sleep for 3.5 hours and I have been up sitting here for over 2 hours. I went to 5 meetings in a row yesterday and need one right now to get out of my head. I just have to get by a few more hours until the first Sundaay meeting time. I am trying to make it. I know that drinking would calm me down, but I have to try to keep going. Is anyone out there right now? I could use your help. Thanks for "listening."
Roger J

Postby butch » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:19 am

hang in there Roger, sometimes it is one minute at a time. have a visit with your Higher Power and ask Him to help, He will, if asked. use the phone and call a friend in the program. good luck, my prayers are with you today!
butch
butch

Postby Dallas » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:48 am

I understand, Roger. The first few days can be really tough. While it's true that a drink would calm you down for about three minutes -- you'd have to go through through the pain all over again -- and then some, plus lose what you've already gained in the process of detoxing your body and your head.

If you hang in there and not drink you'll be glad that you did! For some people it's over in a couple of days, for some a couple of weeks, and can be longer.

Now, is a great time to be looking at Step 1. Your experience shows "why" we are powerless over staying sober -- on our own -- and that we could not manage to stay sober. And, it's a good time to consider Step 2: There must be something out there helping the alkies that you see that are staying sober -- because many of them went through what you're currently going through -- and they didn't drink.

For me, a lot of my anxiety was: I didn't know how to live without a drink. I had to have a drink to wake up, to go to sleep, to go to work, to go on a date, and whatever I did. And, my head kept saying "how do you do this w/out a drink? I can't do it!" We CAN do it. But, it takes us some time to get there.

Best wishes for you and remember, we're all out here hoping for you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Roger J » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:58 am

My name is Roger and I am an alcoholic.

Thank you all. I made it through the night. I am still dangerously in my own head, but meetings are available now and I will spend the day going from one meeting to the next to stay out of my head. It just is not a safe place to be, in so many ways. Again, thank you.
Roger J

Postby Dallas » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:15 am

That's what I did when I got sober Roger. I went to meeting after meeting after meeting. And, I'd let them know in the meeting that I was having a hard time -- and they'd go w/ me and hang out in coffee shops in between meetings. Let them know you're having a hard time and ask if someone would like to go hang out and drink coffee after the meeting and I'm sure you'll find some who will want to. It worked for me -- and still does!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby cue » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:15 am

I remember when I came in first I used to walk down the fields far away from everyone, or drive off somewhere remote, and just scream :twisted: . It helped. The head stuff is scary and there was no way I wanted to keep a lid on that. It was like a pressure cooker. The approach I took was to let my hp have a good look at what was going on there. My job was just to let him in, and share about how weird the whole thing was and how it affected me. Hang in there.
cue

Postby Roger J » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:51 pm

Thanks. I have been in meetings all day and have two more. I now have the local hotline if things get out of control during the night after all the meetings are over. I had a couple of points of clarity from two of the meetings today. I stilll keep crawling back into my head about the impact of the upcoming legal problems and losing the people with whom I hang out. Good thing for the hotline.
Roger J

Postby Dallas » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:00 pm

I understand on that one, too. The legal problems I was facing. However, one day at a time -- things began to work themselves out much better than I could have even imagined that they would. And, I owed a lot of money to a lot of people. Most of the people became willing to work things out with me. The problems that I thought were going to be the worst turned out to be the one's that worked out the best. Most of the problems were in my head. When I'd see a mouse turd in my life -- I'd end up turning it into a mountain and start thinking I needed a poll vault to jump over it! :lol:

That was all nearly 25 yrs ago. And, I remember ALL of it just like it was last night. I don't want to forget what it was like when I was going through the same kinds of things that are hammering you. Or, I might get some ideas that are not too smart! Heck, I couldn't survive having to start all over again with being newly sober again!

It does get better. I've seen it for myself and for thousands of others that I have personally met over the years. None of us could have made it on our own. But, we had each other to help, and nearly each one of us eventually discovered that there really was a God, that was helping us and doing for us -- what we could not do for ourselves.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Camel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:57 am

Roger 3,

I hope you are here. We all know how you feel. We understand. Each minute you don't drimk, you are getting stronger. I don't know your physical condition, but if you can, eat something sweet when you get anxious, or have the craving for alcohol. Don't drink, no matter what. It ain't easy, but it IS simple. Anything of any value has a price to it. Keep talking to us. Keep coming back. I'm praying for you. We all are.

Hub
Camel

Postby Roger J » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:00 am

More meetings are helping the anxiety some. I also have a sponsor. We are attending some meetings together and having a few minutes to chat afterward. Talking with my sponsor helps a lot as well. I also talked to a normal person yesterday who is going to help me with my legal issues, and that relieved some of the anxiety. Now, I have to face some customers, but I will wait just a few more days so that I am thinking a bit clearer. Between the drink itself and then its impact on my personal life, it may be simple but it is not easy, which always has been my perferred path. Thanks for your thoughts and I will keep plugging away. Sleeping and eating are still difficult, but each meeting seems to add to my resolve to survive, which was almost non-existant until late yesterday afternoon. Thanks again.
Roger J

Next

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober