- Hey...I hit my 1st meeting yesterday, need help

Hey...I hit my 1st meeting yesterday, need help

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Hey...I hit my 1st meeting yesterday, need help

Postby ToddT » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:19 pm

I came to yesterday completely clueless, broken and hopeless. Nothing in my miserable life makes any sense, but I summoned up a little bit of whatever and made the 7pm meeting at the church on Lako. I collected this coin and frankly don't remember a g.d. thing-other than feeling alive. I scrammed outta the meeting as soon as it was over, sat in my car and bawled like a baby...
Too scared to reach out and too scared not to. Hopefully, someone can dig this...cuz I am so beyond broken.
ToddT

Postby butch » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:42 pm

Welcome Todd;
today you did two right things. you went to a meeting, and you came to this forum. if you can, i would suggest that you go to another meeting, listen and visit with some one you think you relate too. if you ask some one at the meeting for help, i know you will receive the help you need. (asking for help is the hardest thing in the world to do) i will ask God to guide you in this your time of hurt and need. keep coming back.

butch
butch

Postby Dallas » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:52 pm

Hey Todd. I understand. Been there and done that too -- more than a few times. Welcome to the initiation. :wink: I remember the days of having to have a couple of drinks to make it inside the meeting -- and then, going out to my car in the middle of the meeting for a hold-over drink to try to get through the rest of the meeting... Most often, something would happen and I couldn't figure out how to get back into the meeting so I'd just sit there and drink. Sounds like you've got it a bit more together than I did! Good to hear from you and welcome to the site!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Roger J » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:48 am

My name is Roger and I am an alcoholic.

Hey Todd, hang in there. I can relate to what you are saying.

On Saturday, October 29, I went to my first meeting in over 15 years after starting to drink again. I was shaking so bad my wife had to drive me. I could hardly hold a cup of coffee without spilling it. My concentration was so bad I hardly remeber a thing anyone said.

I went to many meetings for two straight days just to stay alive and to not drink. At the second meeting on Saturday they gave me a 24 hur chip. I had not earned it since I had not been sober for 24 hours. Nevertheless, I held on to that chip and used it for the next 10 days to grasp everytime I thought of taking a drink. I rubbed it so much both in and out of meetings that it is a wonder that the "24" wasn't rubbed off. After about 10 days the shaking was less and I felt a little better.

I am still going to as many meetings as I can. They make me feel better and they keep me from drinking. I have met so many people who walk up to me and give me their name and phone number to call any time I need support. The groups are keeping me alive and sober.

You know that 24 hour chip, someone came into to their first meeting the other night and the house was out of 24 hour chips. After the meeting I gave my 24 hour chip to another woman in the program I know and she gave that chip to the woman who was new to the program. I asked her to tell the newcomer to use that chip the way I did and it will help her get through the day to get to another meeting.

Todd, all I can do is relate what is helping me - sharing my experience, strangth, and the hope - as little or as much as it may be with 2 weeks of being sober. I am getting my experience, strength and hope from the people at the meetings I attend. I want what those people in those meetings have. My conclusion is that I have to keep going back or I will not find what they have. I would encourage you to keep going back. It really does get better. I can testify to that.

Roger J. - an alcoholic who is becoming greatful, slowly but surely
Roger J

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober