- Whats Your Best Day Sober?

Whats Your Best Day Sober?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby Toast » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:32 am

Superb! :lol:

I love it when guys still have their kids around to enjoy them growing up. Thats one thing we can all do together! :lol:
Toast

Postby Dallas » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:39 am

My best day sober is always the day that I'm still sober -- especially then the day is "today!". :lol: I no longer try to compare if one day was better than another considering my circumstances. I've seen days that I considered my worst day sober that actually turned out to be one of my best days -- and I've had some best days, that after I reflected on it -- turned out to be my worst day.

When I go to bed at night -- I tell myself that if my eyes open in the morning -- I'm going to do all that I can to make it one of my best days ever. When I wake up, I tell myself that I'm going to do all that I can to make it one of my best days ever. Then, I try to do a little better today than I did yesterday.

I do love to hear the sharing, like above, where someone still has their kids or their spouse, or their family -- after they get sober. And, how their changed reactions and responses were. It's GOOD for me to hear those sharings -- because it gives me something to hope for and to grow towards. Sometimes, I can actually say "I understand!" because I relate and have been blessed to have a similar experience.

Ditto on thanks for all your sharing above! I appreciate you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:13 pm

I guess if i never had a bad day now and again i wouldnt know a good day if it slapped me in the face! :lol:
Toast

Postby Then, and only then » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:58 pm

It was after 8 o'clock meeting ended, head home, about 10:30 pm on weekday, on the freeway. I was a year and half sober at that time. This thought came on the exit before where I got off. This thought of I might die sober if I keep doing what I have been doing. The feeling was so grand that it felt like a dam had broken. My eyes got watery. A drunk like me... What a grace...

Until that night, I did not think this AA jazz would work for me. I thought I would play this tune for a couple of years at max, and inevitably, I would anchor my sorry ass in the bottle. The gratitude I felt was so thick and dense. I remember.

Now the thought has molded into conviction and faith. My outlook reaches new level. I am going to be ok somehow. I dream a new. I now have some good and heartwarming memories. My past is not all resentments any more. Hope is the most beautiful thing.
Then, and only then

Postby Toast » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:10 am

Superb post!

My turning point in AA came when i fell asleep in a meeting. Up until then fear of going back to the hell i came from had kept me listening intently to everything that was said. Then the penny dropped, if i wanted to live at all there was no going back. And the words of one old timer who said every week that 'its not sore sitting here' finally hit home. :shock:

Then any doubts i had about my new way of life finally left me, i knew i was home, AA was where i belonged. And i felt so comfortable about it i leaned back, put my head against the wall and fell into a deep reassuring slumber. I was around 20 months sober at that time and hadn't slept as well as that for the last 5 years. And that was me until i was rudely awoken by the group saying the Serenity Prayer at the end of the meeting! :lol:

I never heard a word that was said all night but i left that meeting a changed man :D

Love,light, life! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Toast

Postby Jameyabc » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:46 am

That's not a good thing that you fell asleep in the meeting and you have missed all those important talks that you must have to listen but no problem sleeping is also necessary. 8) :lol:
Jameyabc

Postby Toast » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:18 pm

He he!

I still do it today but now i just say i was working Step 11, practicing my meditation! :wink:
Toast

Re: Whats Your Best Day Sober?

Postby Frananne » Sat May 05, 2012 9:10 pm

Dear toast,
Be careful not to drool or fall out of the chair!
Fran
Frananne

Postby Toast » Mon May 07, 2012 5:29 am

Hey Frananne, at 51 yrs old i dont think i'm at the drooling stage yet?

And if you've never heard an AA speaker thats puts you to sleep then your obviously not doing enough meeting!

Be well
Toast

Postby chollis » Wed May 09, 2012 8:55 pm

I do enjoy reading peoples sober day. It brings me to the day I started this. I really didn't think it was going to work but it has in a little way. I have been able to go fishing and hanging out with friends. It used to be hanging out with friends and drinking but now it is more of hanging out and less drinking. I am young and still have my life ahead of me. I guess this is a good start.
chollis

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery