- I was having trouble taking the NEXT right action...

I was having trouble taking the NEXT right action...

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby Dallas » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:35 am

Sounds like it to me. :wink:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby angel143 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Kimmie Sue

It sounds like you are doing exactly what you need to do. Trust me, I understand the taking on more than you need to at the time. Wanting to look ahead to where you want to be and be there NOW!!! Immediate gratification....

In my experience a couple years ago, it was the need for immediate gratification that got me into this "mess". Drinking was my immediate gratification. I was never able to see that sometimes, moving 1 piece of paper from my inbox into my outbox was all I needed to do that day. (and sometimes all I could handle). Now, 2.5 years later, I am to handle more...but there are days when I do throw up my hands and say "nope, cant do anymore....this is my limit." The only one that will judge us (that matters) for setting limits, is ourselves. We have to have limits. And we have to take a step back and breathe.

If its worth doing, its worth doing it happy!!!

Call your sponsor, read, and yes, there will be times when you are rude, this is understandable...but keep coming back, and I PROMISE you it DOES get easier, and it WILL all get clearer. One step at a time.

Heather
angel143

Thanks everyone for sharing

Postby Serenity Seeker » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:21 pm

angel143 wrote:Kimmie Sue

It sounds like you are doing exactly what you need to do. Trust me, I understand the taking on more than you need to at the time. Wanting to look ahead to where you want to be and be there NOW!!! Immediate gratification....

In my experience a couple years ago, it was the need for immediate gratification that got me into this "mess". Drinking was my immediate gratification. I was never able to see that sometimes, moving 1 piece of paper from my inbox into my outbox was all I needed to do that day. (and sometimes all I could handle). Now, 2.5 years later, I am to handle more...but there are days when I do throw up my hands and say "nope, cant do anymore....this is my limit." The only one that will judge us (that matters) for setting limits, is ourselves. We have to have limits. And we have to take a step back and breathe.

If its worth doing, its worth doing it happy!!!

Call your sponsor, read, and yes, there will be times when you are rude, this is understandable...but keep coming back, and I PROMISE you it DOES get easier, and it WILL all get clearer. One step at a time.

Heather

Heather,

Thank you so much. I guess I was pondering too much in my head with the Now action. It truly is simple isn't it? Even though I try my best in my old ways to confuse the living daylights out of so much as living in the moment. I have heard my sponsor say so many times, we need to learn to live in the moment. I am practicing this a little more each day. Example: School, finances, kids: Instead of thinking I have to do something about it all NOW, just to do what I can at this very moment about it and give the rest to God. (immediate gratification) Thank you for that reminder... I have not heard that in a while. And it helped me to realize that is my expectations in old ways, wanting immediate gratification.

I am so happy that I do not have to pick up a drink or any mind-altering substance to solve my problems anymore. I have no more excuses to destroy my life. My heart aches with desire and hope to actually continue to work these steps, to love myself and find true serenity through God.

Thanks Heather.
Serenity Seeker

Previous

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery