- Will the past ever change in sobriety?

Will the past ever change in sobriety?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby Dallas » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:11 pm

Hugs to you, too. Thanks for sharing. :wink:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:55 pm

Hi Serenity,

As has been said our past will one day turn into our greatest asset. And for me if all the bad stuff hadn't happened i wouldn't be living the priceless stuff that's going on today all around me. All thanks to staying away from booze one day at a time.

At my 1st meeting they told me i'd have a life beyond my wildest dreams, back then that was not having to drink and getting the 1st full nights sleep i'd had in years. But now i know what they really meant, the longer i'm sober and the more i keep stepping out my most recent comfort zone into yet another new way of living i get even more opportunities for growth.

For me staying sober is as much an ' unlearning' process and a ' learning' one. I had to 'unlearn' all my old ways of thinking and reacting.

Even if i'd never drank or come to AA i still wouldnt have manage to make the life i have today. And for that i'm truely grateful :lol: :lol:
Toast

Postby Serenity Seeker » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:45 am

Thanks Dallas and Toast as always!!! :)

I am making today a me day and clean house day. Although I am so tempted to go to a meeting. I have attended 8 meetings since Sunday and attended a Club meeting to get involved with social events. I am so tired.

I did not get the 1st or 2nd job of interviews I have went to. I have another one tomorrow. I actually truly believe that my higher power wants me to concentrate on my sobriety... and I am so thankful to him for that. I trust I will get the job he believes should be the healthy job for me. So, until then I will keep interviewing and leave it in his hands.

hugs to you both.
Serenity Seeker

Postby Toast » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi serenity,

The key is to keep turning up for the job interviews and something good will eventually happen for you. And i also had to learn from every interview where i went wrong or sometimes it really just wasnt the job for me. Like you say the man upstairs has a plan for us and now sober no one can escape their destiny. :D

I came in unemployed and unemployable almost 18 yrs back and it took me about 8 months to stop shaking enough to write out an application form for a job never mind actually do the work. But since i got a foot in the door its been onwards and upwards ever since. Due to company buy outs and stuff over the years i been made redundant twice and it turned out to be the some of the best things that ever happened to me because it made me brush up resume and go get even better job's than the one's i lost. 8)

I remember once feeling sad when i had to hand in my company car, it was a mid-range Renault. A week later i walked into a new job and they gave me the keys to a Mercedes! Yes god was doing for me what i couldn't do for myself! :lol:

Love,light,laughter :lol:
Toast

Postby Dallas » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:31 pm

Yes. Sobriety MUST come first... or else... we won't even be able to show up for job interviews. :wink:

I understand how easy it is -- during tough times, especially when we're new, but also when we've been sober for a long time, too... to let "things" that really are important -- get ahead of what we MUST do to maintain and grow in our sobriety. Sometimes, it seems so important as: "Do I breath or do I stay sober?" :lol: And, we might have to answer with... "Well, I've held my breath before..." :lol:

Best wishes on the interviews! And, most definitely the BEST of the BEST wishes at keeping sobriety first.

I used to drive w/ a sign on my dashboard, when I was new and times were tough... it was: "First Things First!" I swear... that little motto saved my life and my sobriety a gazillion times! :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Serenity Seeker » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:02 pm

Dallas wrote:Yes. Sobriety MUST come first... or else... we won't even be able to show up for job interviews. :wink:

I understand how easy it is -- during tough times, especially when we're new, but also when we've been sober for a long time, too... to let "things" that really are important -- get ahead of what we MUST do to maintain and grow in our sobriety. Sometimes, it seems so important as: "Do I breath or do I stay sober?" :lol: And, we might have to answer with... "Well, I've held my breath before..." :lol:

Best wishes on the interviews! And, most definitely the BEST of the BEST wishes at keeping sobriety first.

I used to drive w/ a sign on my dashboard, when I was new and times were tough... it was: "First Things First!" I swear... that little motto saved my life and my sobriety a gazillion times! :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement and reminder of First Things First. Did a noon meeting and of course an 12 Step strength and hope study. Thanks, interview is with a Chiropractor for a receptionist position, at Panera Bread. That will be unique to experience. Taking God with me! :)

Serenity Seeker
Serenity Seeker

Postby Dallas » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:32 pm

I feel sure that you will do well! Best wishes!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Serenity Seeker » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:21 am

Dallas wrote:I feel sure that you will do well! Best wishes!

I did not get the job. It was not a good match for me neither the employer. It did go well though. Thank goodness I can know in my heart the job that God wants for me and is supposed to happen will, in his time. Not mine just because I need it. What a relief to not have to be "negative" over this and think my life is over... and want to drink because of some self-pity excuse to.

Have a good day. Clean house day... "literally" and womens meeting.

Hugs to all.
Serenity Seeker

Postby Toast » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:44 am

Your time will come serenity,just keep doing what your doing and you'l get there! :lol:
Toast

Postby Serenity Seeker » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Toast wrote:Your time will come serenity,just keep doing what your doing and you'l get there! :lol:

Thanks Toast. I will have you in my prayers tonight.

Hugs to you.
Serenity Seeker

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery