- Step 3

Step 3

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby Serenity Seeker » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:32 am

So funny how we are discussing this in this week. And probably about atleast 3 meetings I have been to have been on this area. Many sharing about Jesus... religous beliefs, and so on. Even though I am a person of so called regligion, I do get discouraged for the newcomer, freshly in the rooms who may have never been to AA. Scared it would run them off... the whole God concept. When really in we agnositcs it simply explains on page 46:

Let us make hast to reassure you. We found that as soon as we were able to lay aside predudice and express even a willingness to believe in a "Power greater than ourselves, we commenced to get results, even though it was impossible for any of us to fully define or comprrehend that Power, which is God.

Much to our relief, we discovered we did not need to consider another's conception of God. Our own conception, however inadequate, was sufficent to make the approach and to effect a contact with him. As soon as we admitted the possible existence of a Creative Intelligence, a Spirit of the Universe underlying the totality of things, we began to be possessed of a new sense of power and direction, provided we took other simple steps. We found that God does not make too hard terms with those who seek Him. To us, the Realm of Spirit is braod, roomy, all inclusive, never exclusive or firbidding to those who earnestly seek. It is open, we believe, to all men.

I had shared my thoughts on this about the newcomer and another person ended that if God scares them too much out of the room then go back out and let alcohol scare you back in. Which is good.

I realize what you are sharing and am completely open to it. This is how I grow and learn so one day, I can help another just as you and the program as a whole helps me stay sober today. They key is I think of what you shared Dallas, about there are more steps required. For me, it helped to hear you explain the Decision, the white flag as you called it. I only make a decision one time to turn my will over to the care; and also as I learned from you originally care and direction of God as I understand him. That helped me. Not just my care of him but my direction in life. Don't know why but it helped to learn and hear that. I continue to practice daily turning this life of mine over to him who presides over me, I truly understand now what the books says about a new employer. It is such a comfort today. But new in the rooms, no matter how much we want it, I was to messed up in the head and words like mine would completely turn me back to a drink. Because this program is meant for us to find a Power greater than ourselves and not meant only for the religous conception of God.

So, no offense at all. Just grateful to be learning in everyway. Respecting the rooms, tradidtions and of course my HP.

Merry Christmas Eve to you all. I pray you have a blessed day. Spending today with immediate positive family, and a meeting. Tomorrow spending the whole day dedicated to helping others, with my God-given family... the family I truly belong to.

Serenity Seeker
Serenity Seeker

Postby Dallas » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:36 pm

Merry Christmas!

This is one of my favorite lines in the Big Book: "impossible for any of us to fully define or comprrehend that Power, which is God."

I relate as I understand that line. Who am I, that I can even define God? Or, comprehend Him? I would be like an ant looking at a John Deere tractor. :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Serenity Seeker » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:26 pm

Dallas wrote:Merry Christmas!

This is one of my favorite lines in the Big Book: "impossible for any of us to fully define or comprrehend that Power, which is God."

I relate as I understand that line. Who am I, that I can even define God? Or, comprehend Him? I would be like an ant looking at a John Deere tractor. :lol:

I enjoy that also, brings me down to my right size. My Higher Power is so much bigger than me... no way I can define or describe him. I am just happy to know he is with me today and that is all that matters, when I am with him I will not pick up the next drink when he is included in my day not only in mind but soul.

Merry Christmas to you Dallas. I hope you were blessed with a great day. We had Christmas at our local Club. It was awsome. My sponsor wrote a play called 12 Days Sober. I was in the chorus. It was a nice play, we then had an Ala-non speaker and an AA speaker. My kids were with me, my husband and my AA God given family. I am so grateful.

Have a good evening.
Serenity Seeker

Postby Dallas » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:53 pm

Thank you! And I did have a great day, too. I spent part of the day at an alco-thon at a local club.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby dimples12562 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:56 am

I'm on Step Three now. After being Sober 4+ years...I almost let my lack of emotional sobriety take me back out 12/1711...I reached out for help and AA reached back :) so now I'm am working the steps with a sponsor and I have a new attitude!!

What I am learning and what I am getting from Step 3 is that YES all I am required to do is make a decision!! BUT if I am not fully aware that this is a process that MUST be repeated (by me) daily then I will find myself in trouble again...

~P
dimples12562

Postby sparklek » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:47 am

Each day I start my day asking for God's will and direction. I may not always do that perfectly in the day, but I have found that as I practice, it gets better. For example, I use to do things off instinct. Act first, think later. Now I can slow down and ask for God's guidance more and more.

I am slowly becoming less dependent on people and becoming more God dependent. I think Step 3 has only been a challenge because I can never do it to the crazy perfection my mind tells me I need to.

Steps 6, 7, 8, and 9 are showing me how ill-effective these character defects (such as perfectionism) are. The more I can work on them, the better I can work Step 3.

Congraduations on the new sponsor! I know the Steps have saved my life. Though I had a sponsor, read the book, went to many meetings and went through the Steps, it took me 3 years to see many things in myself, my alcoholism and in the Steps. I guess I am a slow learner!
sparklek

Postby dimples12562 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:28 am

lol I know a little bit about bein a slow learner :? Sometimes quickly....sometimes slowly!!! I do thank God that I have the ability today to see that slowly is ok as long as I keep trudging forward.
~P
dimples12562

Postby Toast » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:24 am

Whenever i see the slogan ' Your No Longer Alone' i think about Step 3.

By the time we get here most of us have taken on board the meaning of Step 2, came to believe in a power greater than ourselves, this can be the collective experience of an AA group. And got a sponsor who is someone to hold the lamp while we dig. So now we have the greatest back up force in the world urging us on and with all that experience rooting for us to get well its finally time for us to take that leap of faith into the unknown! :lol:

( i've maybe said this on here before, i think maybe the old grey matter is going?) :lol:
Toast

Postby Dallas » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:07 pm

It wasn't until after I got to Step 12, that the full significance of my decision in Step 3, was understood by me. Then, each time I took someone else through the Steps, using the BB, as we took the Steps, I began to comprehend even more.

I think this is why -- during the early forming and foundation of what we know as AA, today -- the Pioneers took the Steps during their first two weeks of sobriety. Some, even sooner -- but most were hospitalized first, to "dry out and come out of the fog." Then, they IMMEDIATELY launched into "taking the Steps" -- and began practicing the Steps -- by taking other alcoholics through the Steps.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:11 pm

In my first 2 years of soberiety i couldn't even tie my boot laces never mind go through the12 steps. 8)
Toast

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Steps