Discussions related to 12 Step Sponsors, 12 Step Sponsoring, Working with others using the 12 Steps, for AA's, NA's, Al-Anons, Nar-Anons, OA, and others using the 12 Steps.

Postby sunlight » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:27 pm

A boy was walking along the beach, picking up starfish that had been washed ashore, and throwing them back into the ocean.

A man came up to the boy and asked what he was doing.

The boy said, "I'm throwing starfish back into the ocean. They will die if they stay out of the water."

The man remarked, "But there are hundreds of starfish! What possible difference does it make?"

The boy smiled, looked at the starfish in his hand, and flung it into the ocean.

He replied, "It makes a difference to THIS one." :wink:

Postby MichalF » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:46 am

They say- Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire

Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:42 pm

And, around here, we say "who ever saves another's life -- saves their own!" :lol:

It was so different for me when I learned that: I get by giving rather than taking. And, whatever I take -- gets taken from me. :wink:

Postby joelo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:03 pm

After Hurricane Katrina down here in South Louisiana, our Catholic Diocese started a program called "Project Starfish" which used this philosophy in its purest sense. There were SO many people displaced that we simply could not help every single person find a place to live or to help him/her get home, but we did what we could for each person. I was asked to create a logo for it (i'm a graphic artist by trade) and to this day it remains one of my most cherished designs.

This story really hits at the heart of what AA is about.

Then, and only then

Postby Then, and only then » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:27 pm

It is a beautiful thing, AA. So thankful to be a part, a drunk like me... My chalice overruns.

Return to “12 Step Sponsors Forum”