- Gratitude

Gratitude

Alcoholics and Addicts sharing their personal recovery story with us to help others who want to recover.

Gratitude

Postby ginagc55 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:42 pm

In my recovery, I have met some of the strongest, sincere, caring, loving, tolerant people. I have learned the meaning of compassion, empathy, altruism, mindfulness, and a lot of other positive words and emotions. I am learning who I am, what I am here for, and how love really feels, and the power of forgiveness. I have learned about spirituality, Jesus, Buddha, the Torah, the Bible, the Koran, and "The Golden Rule". There are days when I am confused and I have learned that my ego wants me to stay away from the "now". I have learned how to pace my steps and know that if I have to go back a few, its okay, the mistakes are my lessons. I have learned how humility is the best state to be in, it is my friend. I have learned to forgive myself and move forward, it is not all about me, it is all about love.

Brothers and sisters of God, Love, AA and Bill W. I can say that today these are the gifts that my addiction has brought to me. I love my addiction because it has brought me into the light of life and love. I have often heard that if you do not love something, it will continue to show up until you do. I love my addiction today, it is one of the most powerful lessons I have learned and a true ally.

Peace

Gina L
[/url][/list]
ginagc55

Postby Toast » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:05 pm

Superb Gina, thanks for sharing that :lol:
Toast

Postby Dallas » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:39 pm

Welcome to the forum. And, thanks , for sharing!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Then, and only then » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:37 am

There is this old timer in one of the rooms I go to. He said we have a choice. We can stay disappointed at the darkness, or we can choose to appreciate and enjoy the tiny flickering candle light. When I grow up, I want to be just like him.

But today, I bitch, morn and cry about this malady I am given. This is truly the final blow. The book says pain is the admission ticket to our new life. I agree. AA gave me many many new beautiful things I never had.

Maybe the last lie of the booze is that Alcoholism is curse. Somehow I am on the other side today. Yet, I bitch. Thank you for sharing.
Then, and only then

Postby ginagc55 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:31 am

Then, and only then wrote:There is this old timer in one of the rooms I go to. He said we have a choice. We can stay disappointed at the darkness, or we can choose to appreciate and enjoy the tiny flickering candle light. When I grow up, I want to be just like him.

But today, I bitch, morn and cry about this malady I am given. This is truly the final blow. The book says pain is the admission ticket to our new life. I agree. AA gave me many many new beautiful things I never had.

Maybe the last lie of the booze is that Alcoholism is curse. Somehow I am on the other side today. Yet, I bitch. Thank you for sharing.

Does it ever get easier? Time is on our side and acceptance is the key to God's will for us. They say if you don't love something, person, place, or thing it will keep showing up in our lifes. We must embrace our character defects and don't have to use them any more as a solution to our problems. The Big Book tells us; we are not cured of alcohlism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition. We must stay in the present to manifest God's will for us. So don't look back because you are not going that way anymore.
ginagc55

Re: Gratitude

Postby chollis » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:23 pm

I think if we think better about ourselves and keep our spirits high then we can be successful at recovering. I have found other things to think about and do to not drink or feel the need to drink. I hang out with friends, play video games, fish, hunt, etc just some little things. I do have to say that there are some people are very caring and responsive to what others have to say in AA meetings and it a great place to meet people like "us." I don't want to live in the darkness anymore I have made the first step by moving on and not drinking.
chollis

Postby Dallas » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:51 am

I'm with you on this Cholis! Thank you for sharing. AA prepares me for a wonderful life inside and outside of AA. ;-) It's important to spend time making accomplishments. My sponsor always said to me "If you want to raise your self-esteem and feelings of self-worth, then do highly-esteem-able things and worthy things. That will make you feel good about you, and it will be honest.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi,

Full of gratitude tonight.

Had 7 here for dinner tonight, my sons wife, he's away on a training course, their 2 kids and my daughters 2 plus my wife and i.

Only my wife had the misfortune to see me at my worst the rest think i'm the court jester who keeps the kids entertained all night with jokes and tricks. Spent 2 hours under a bed with a flashlight.

Nothing on Gods earth beats a house full of kids laughter!

Thanks to each and every one of you for making that happen.
Toast

Postby Dallas » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:17 am

Thanks for sharing. That sounds fun!
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Addiction Recovery Stories