- Being Sober is Great

Being Sober is Great

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby Doc Floyd » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:28 pm

My problem with being sober is now that I have to face all the things that I was trying to hide from, as well as being ashamed of a lot of things I did and said while in a drunken stupor, most of which I can't recall.

After that last night of what I now consider to be another life, I hope I never see another drop of booze. I am lucky to still have my freedom, and the people I care about, still in my life.

I physically feel so much better, my blood pressure seems to be getting to where it should be (still taking the meds for it, but maybe soon I can leave those behind as well). Not so sure about my mental state, and that all haunts me when I have free time on my hands.

It is very nice to not have to worry about making a beer run, or a trip to the liquor store. Plus there isn't a mess to clean up every morning like there used to be.
Doc Floyd

Postby Dallas » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:40 pm

I understand. :lol: Thanks for sharing!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:57 pm

This soberiety keeps getting better.

That was me 18 yrs sober yesterday and thanks to AA that's another 18 yrs i've been on the planet. 8)

It was my best thinking that got me in here so i'm just going keep keeping a look out for brainwaves and great idea's. That's the stuff that almost killed me! :D

At my 1st meeting an elderly lady told me i'd have ' a life beyond my wildest dreams' . As i was suffering from a bad dose of the shakes I replied 'my dreams are wild enough thank you, it's some of sanity i could be doing with!' :lol:

Love,light,laughter! :lol:
Toast

Postby Dallas » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:29 pm

Thanks for sharing, Toast. My experience has been the same. And, an oldtimer told me the same as the lady told you. Her husband, a fellow AA, used to say "It keeps getting better and better and better and better!" :lol:
That's where I got that -- that I continue to pass on.

The miracle for me was when I took the 12 Steps -- using the Big Book. TOOK them and NOT just read them. We can read a book about swimming without getting wet -- and we can read the Big Book about taking the Steps, without taking them -- and without having the Spiritual Awakening that takes place as the result to taking them!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Doc Floyd » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:19 pm

I have yet to try out the AA meeting thing, but I'm thinking perhaps I should as I only have a little over a week under my belt being sober.

Having a pretty hard time dealing with what all went on those last few hours of not being sober, though a family member recorded it.
Doc Floyd

Being Sober is Great

Postby DakotaTX » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:20 am

Thank you so much for this topic! I truly need it today. I have been in & out of 12-step programs and the rooms since 1997. I had a good seven year run of sobriety, then relapsed, sober, relapsed ... until I admitted myself to an in-patient program in November. I have been sober since 14 Nov 2011, am now back home, have a great sponsor, go to five meetings a week, read AA and inspirational materials daily, journal, communicate with my higher power, and now participate in two on-line groups.

I often hear how life gets better and better in sobriety, but am struggling with seeing that in my daily life yet. Except for the 'watching the bottle level' and planning my life around drinking. Don't miss those aspects of my former life at all.

I know, I am a 'newbie', but remember, as an alcoholic I want immediate gratification. :roll:

Thank you for letting me share my feelings. One thing I have learned, and am practicing for the first time, is that the more I share my feelings with the right people, the more open I can be to life's experiences and guidance from my higher power.
DakotaTX

Postby Dallas » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:32 pm

Thank you for sharing. And, welcome to the forum!

"I am my own -- greatest critic." A little voice (sometimes not so little) that says things like:

"Why is it taking you so long?"
"Why isn't this working?"

and several other things, too! :lol:

For me, the voices seem to center around the idea of "perfection." This morning, I was wondering "who's voice is that? and, where did it come from -- that says to me that anything, anyone, or myself -- has to do or be perfect -- and to do or be perfect right now?"

I'm sure that after being around the rooms, you've watched newcomers make a tremendous change for the better in their lives -- yet, they don't see it.

The Big Book writes about this -- indicating that it must be common for us -- to be making progress rapidly -- and everyone else notices it, except us! :lol: I know that this has been true for me.

One of the things that used to drive me right back to the bottle were those danged voices!

I believe that the quality of our total life experience is a direct result of the stories that we tell ourselves. So, if those voices are talking to me and I'm listening to them -- it won't be long, and I'll be screwed. :lol:

Since I couldn't stop the voices that I didn't want to hear -- I started telling myself stories of things that I did want to hear -- things that were good and healthy and inspired me, and I'd turn up the volume on the good stuff. And, I began to get some good results.

Another thing I recognized is: I spend too much time thinking about myself. Imagine that! :lol:

So, I had to find a way to think about other things rather than to think about myself.

The best way that I found to do it was:

1. Try to find other people that I can help or that I can be doing something for them. For me, it works best when I am doing it anonymously and not letting them know that I am the one that's doing it. That keeps my mind busy, doing good things for others, it keeps my mind off of me, and my life automatically gets better as a result of it.

2. I get or make my own meeting commitments. Example: to make it a point to show up early at a meeting and help set it up. And, then to greet each person that comes in with a smile, something nice to say about them, a welcome, and a handshake.

3. I'll go to an Emergency Room, and drink some coffee and just watch people. Or, I'll go somewhere like Salvation Army, or a Rescue Mission -- and observe homeless people, or severely handicapped homeless people. And, I'll try to think of something small and do-able, that I might be able to do for them. That seems to give me a new outlook with something else to compare my life with -- since I can't seem to stop comparing, anyway!

When I do stuff like that -- suddenly there is a new voice in my head that says "You must not be such a bad guy after all!" And, I feel better. And, I begin to notice how some things have been changing in me -- and in my life. :lol:

I appreciate your sharing because now, as I look over what I've shared -- a 1001 ideas are running through my head of what I can do today that will continue to make my life better, cause me to feel better and to be a little more productive today -- than I was yesterday. And, that's what I call progress. :wink:
Dallas
Site Admin

Perfectionism, self-centeredness and impatience

Postby DakotaTX » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Dallas,

Thank you for the heartfelt, honest response to my venting. I hope others read your response and get much needed nudges in the right direction, just as I have!

Clarissa
alcoholic
dos 14 Nov 2011
DakotaTX

Postby Dallas » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:48 pm

Clarissa, I got sober on November 14th., too! I can say from experience, that it's a good day to get sober! :lol:

DOS: 11/14/1986. (and NO drinks or drugs in between days) It does work! :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sparklek » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:52 am

Welcome Clarissa! This is an awesome program and I hope you find freedom from the bondage of self here.

I am glad I came across this topic. I am grateful for being sober because I actually get to learn something now! I really had no idea why I behaved the way I did!

As I live sober and stay willing to continue to take personal inventory, I am really finding out so much about me-my ideas were really backwards. I have a lot to unlearn and it is NOT easy for me but, I am NOT alone!

I feel so blessed to have this opportunity to grow up.

P.S. Thanks for the list of ways to get out of self Dallas. It really helps me!
sparklek

PreviousNext

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober