- Emotional Inebriety -- masquerading as depression?

Emotional Inebriety -- masquerading as depression?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby Toast » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:00 pm

Some great posts guys, liked the 'excited misery' and the 'ER' analogies.

Keep it up! :lol:
Toast

More on Emotional Inebriety

Postby johnp62 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:37 am

Hi Toast,

Thanks for the compliment on the topic! :D The mental tug of war as my mind and body continues to adjust to sobriety is indeed difficulty. But, life is difficult sometimes and that's the way it goes.

The process of recovery, and I know process is used over and over again, (because it is a process! :shock: ) is ongoing; adventuresome at times and definitely frustrating at times. :x :roll:

By the way, I like the book recommendations given on this discussion (see previous posts on pages 1 and 2). I checked them out on Amazon. In addition, I'd definitely recommend "Codependent No More" and "Beyond Codependency" by Melody Beattie. Each book has concise, and very readable, well-written chapters dealing with alcoholism in mental recovery, i.e. emotional inebriety.

I know, yes, The Big Book! however it's always a good idea to read some of the great books out there about recovery. Of course, you could never read them all, but that's why we can recommend the "better" ones, and also, we always have reviews by readers on Amazon and other sites!

Anyhow, :idea: before I forget; I know we alcoholics have "drinking dreams" ocassionally. I had one recently. How about you, dear reader? It's always, I mean always, a relief to wake up knowing it wasn't in fact reality! But hey, at least I caught a buzz for free! :lol: No, but really, I sometimes find that the day after a drinking dream I have to be extra vigilant. It can mean those stinkin' thinkin' thoughts of a slip are trying extra hard to slip through. Any feelings on this topic? :?:

I must keep practicing awareness and keep in the moment one day at a time. ODAAT :!: Live in the Now, Just for Today, Let Go and Let God.

John
johnp62

Postby Dallas » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:56 am

Drinking dreams is a different topic than the topic here. You might want to either look for an existing topic already started for it, or... Just start a new one. :wink:

Since our primary solution here on this website and in our forum is found in the Big Book, of Alcoholics Anonymous -- we normally stick to this book for our discussions. Yes, there are hundreds of books out there that deal w/ the topic of the problem and the topic of the solution -- we like to stay focused on the "the Path" of our own book. And, there are thousands of reasons for this. :wink:

Here are a few examples, which are also related to this topic of Emotional Inebriety and Emotional Sobriety:

1. The Big Book, states in it's Forward -- that this book is a "basic text" book. That it has clear-cut and precise "instructions" that we can use to recover from Alcohol-ism.

A textbook, typically starts out with simple building blocks of learning simple things (as in a math textbook: basic addition, subtraction, division) before moving on to more complicated topics such as Algebra or Calculus.

Later on, in this same book that we discover that by USING the solutions and instructions in the Big Book, we can be restored to sanity and experience "Emotional Sobriety."

Yet... how many sober alcoholics are ACTUALLY reading the entire Big Book, from the front cover -- all the way through?

And, of those who do and have read it all the way through -- how many have actually done "the Lab work" explained in the book? Followed the instructions -- to the letter -- with the best of their efforts? (My guess, would be -- not very many at all. Or, else, "Emotional Sobriety" would probably be a mute topic for discussion!) :lol:

2. When we're lost and trying to find our way -- the surest way to stay lost is: to try many different paths. When we do that, we get REALLY confused and REALLY LOST... and never do reach the destination that we originally wanted to reach. One path will have us going West, the other East, the other North, the other South -- and pretty soon, we MAY discover that we've been traveling in circles -- much like a dog does when he/she chases it's tail. There is A LOT of energy and activity going on -- but, it never gets anywhere other than where it started. :lol:

My final example... YES, I really will stick to having a final one! :lol:

3. How many sober alcoholics, in recovery -- will wake up this morning, confused, agitated, restless, irritable, discontented, dis-satisfied -- with a mood swing and in an emotional kilter?

a. How many will even be able to describe what's going on w/ them (like have a label for their experience and feelings, other than to say something like 'something feels out of place' or 'it feels like something is wrong -- but I'm not sure what it is!')?

b. And, how many of them -- will know specifically and precisely, what pages they can turn to in the Big Book -- that will answer their questions, and give them clear-cut, precise instructions on what to do to correct it?

I can imagine... that some will go to a meeting and "think" they heard what they needed, because they "felt better" afterwards -- but, in a little while later... or the next morning... the same thing, with NO real solution or change.

Or, they may be in their local bookstore -- searching the hundreds of books on "self-help" -- buy some new books, (if they have the money) and those books -- will end up on a shelf, or under the bed... gathering dust, right next to their Big Book! :lol:

Or... they will be searching the web, with their PC, Mac, or Smartphone, googling to try and find out "what's wrong w/ me?" And, some article might suggest "this or that is what is wrong" and might propose "this is the pill you need to take for it!" Or... "this is the type therapist you need to see for it!" :lol:

When... IF they had stayed on "our PATH" and used "our BOOK" they could have been WORKING the solution rather than searching for it. :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby DiggerinVA » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:00 pm

Dallas what you just said is so true. Many times meetings are painful to me for the very reasons you just mentioned. Mostly because I know it is totally unnecessary. I am so lucky to have begun my sobriety with the Big Book vs the other routes.
DiggerinVA

Postby johnp62 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi Dallas,

Thanks for the excellent reply. It looks like "A.A. meeting topics" would be the correct heading for this post as I've heard this topic brought up there a number of times.

Some A.A. members were very concerned about drinking dreams, but they were assured by some old-timers that the dreams are completely normal because one with alcoholism has just about permanently etched some drinking experiences in their memories and subconscious, or what have you, so no need to be alarmed.

(Anyway to transfer my post to that forum?)

John :)
johnp62

Postby MKL » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:38 pm

I'm new to this forum but not AA. I'm a BB worker thru and thru, been sober since 1987. I have had alot of ups and downs the last 24 years but God thru the steps has kept me centered regardless of if i'm feeling depressed or too happy. I have had people close to me die in sobriety and i almost died from a massice stroke when i was 8 years sober. Every day i fight health issues, bad back, diabetes, etc... but God always help me cope with it. Sometimes my life has sucked in sobriety and sometimes i've been on top of the world, and i wouldn't have it any other way. I like the ups and downs because the downs help me appreciate the up plus every time i God gets me thru a down-depressed period in sobriety, my faith gets stronger. I am not new to depression, i'v fought it my whole life and attempted suicide 4x before i sobered up and haven't attempted it since i sobered up. I don't take antidepressants tho before i sobered up i did, havent taken them in over 25 years. Sometimes i still go thro cycles of depression but God always gets me thru it!
MKL

Postby Dallas » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:56 pm

Welcome to the forum! I appreciate your sharing!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi MKL, welcome aboard.

Been on and off anti-depressants for the last 10 years of my 18 yrs continual soberiety. I'm not one of those that think the programme can fix everything. It always comes on me after i've got over a hurlde not before. After i shared my 5th step with my sponsor i fell down a deep black hole for a month or so, man that was hell on earth, i thought 'this cant be happening to me now?' Didnt know it then but it was a bad bout of depression.

In my former life i'd have medicated on booze to get over something like that.

Good today doing what i should be doing but i wouldnt hesitate to go see my doc if it came back as bad as it did before.

Just been told my employment contract may finish in April, depends on budgets and all the usual crap. But i'm not depressed about it i'm a tad angry at all the lazy S.O.B's i work with who's jobs are safe. Couldnt kiss ass drunk and i still cant do it sober, when oh when will i learn! :lol:

Be well! :lol:
Toast

Postby Dallas » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:44 pm

Thanks for sharing that Toast.
I appreciate you.

The Meds subject is one that causes great confusion amongst newcomers and oldcomers alike. They often torment themselves trying to sort out "what's the right way?" Well -- I think like most things in life, even w/ sobriety itself -- there is MORE than ONE WAY.... that all leads to the same place -- happy, joyous and free -- and not destroying our lives and the lives of those around us.

I think it's a good idea to check w/ doctors on stuff like this. I avoid doctors myself because too many people die under a doctors care. But, then again -- lot's of people die because they didn't get a doctors care. :lol:

Bill was real clear in his writing -- that he thought it was not a good idea, for us to think that AA has a monopoly on sobriety, lest we get so rigid that we end up cutting our feet off because our shoes don't fit. (my interpretation on that one). :lol:

My take on life is: Are we sober? Are we happy, joyous and free while sober? If the answer is YES ... then, obviously, something we're doing MUST be right. And, if the answer is NO... maybe, we're still doing something right -- but just need some adjustments in some of the other things that we're doing.

Great sharing guys! Thanks for helping me to stay happy while sober, today! I appreciate you.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:04 pm

That reminds me about the alcoholic who put up a swing in his back yard so his kids could out and play and he'd get peace to sit and drink. Soon as he opened a bottle one of his kids came in crying saying the swing was too low and his feet kept hitting the ground. So the alcoholic went outside and cut the kids feet off then went back inside to finish getting drunk! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Toast

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery