- Step 3

Step 3

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby dimples12562 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:00 am

Third Step Prayer

God, I offer myself to Thee!!
To build with me and do with me as Thou Wilt!

Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy Will!
Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of Life!

May I do Thy Will ALWAYS!!
dimples12562

Postby Dallas » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:50 am

Some would point out... "Did you notice that there is no 'Amen' after the 3rd Step prayer"?

Yep. It's true! And, they say there is a reason for it, too.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby dimples12562 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:02 am

I always say AMEN but now I have to ask you why is there none? Do tell!
dimples12562

Postby Dallas » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:52 pm

They say... The 3rd Step prayer is started as the beginning of the process of going from Step 3 through 7, including the prayers in the 4th Step. Once that work has been completed, then it ends w/ the Amen in the 7th Step Prayer.

I can see their logic. Immediately after the 3rd Step prayer, it says "Next, we LAUNCHED into a course of vigorous action..." (Into Step 4, Step 5, Step 6, Step 7).

Historically, what the AA's were doing in the beginning was taking the Steps all at once. The term "Sponsor" was "the person" who had witnessed the new member taking Steps 3 through 7, and the sponsor could then "vouch" for the newcomer that they "had made their surrender." At that point -- the newcomer could attend a meeting... But, not before then. ~That's how they were doing it in Akron, before they wrote the book, and before Bill had numbered the Steps. After the book was published -- they continued to do it this way in Akron.

Typically, back then -- ALL 12 Steps were done in one afternoon. There are two stories that's still in the 4th Edition -- that were in the First Edition, that demonstrate this practice. The first one is "AA #3", Bill D.'s story and "The Man Who Sold Himself Short" (Earl T.'s story). Earl was sponsored by Dr. Bob. He showed up at Dr. Bob's house on a Wednesday, (Dr. Bob's day off), and Dr. Bob, took him through the Steps. Then, two weeks later... Dr. Bob suggested that Earl, go ahead and return to Chicago... and start AA in Chicago. Earl had only been sober about 1 month -- when he left for Chicago, got to Chicago, and as the only sober AA in Chicago, began looking for alcoholics to help get them sober and start AA there.

That sure blows a lot of holes in a common thing we sometimes hear in meetings, that says "Don't make any major decisions for a year!" :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby dimples12562 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:03 pm

VERY TRUE!! It blows me away when I learn stuff like this!! Just think how they must have felt...Look at poor Earl with the weight of AA's (ChiTown)success on his shoulders (I'm sure he didn't see it that way lol) and only 30 days!!! OMG At the same time I can't help but feel these guys were on FIRE with the desire to show this new way of life to others!! (kinda how I feel when I get to share a little with a new comer)
Thanks Triple D (lite) xox :wink:
~P
dimples12562

Postby Dallas » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:49 pm

It took him over 2 yrs at working hard at it in Chicago, before he got it started. So, about every two months, he would travel back to Akron for some Fellowship w/ Dr. Bob & the others to re-charge. :lol:

That's another reason that I don't buy the excuse "well, I stopped going to meetings and I drank." :lol:

ALL newcomers outside of Akron, Cleveland, NY "had no meetings to attend!" Because there was NO AA outside of those cities , no central offices, no hotlines, no Intergroups, no H&I, no District, no Sponsors!

They simply read something in a magazine or a newspaper -- (or someone read it for them), they wrote a letter to NY, sent them $3.50 to send them a book -- they read the book, tried to follow the instructions in the book, and then tried to find another alkie that wanted to get sober. Then, helped them, and AA would be started in another area.

This is probably why we have such a wide variety of how AA is practiced in different areas. The one's that just read the book had never had the Akron experience, or the Cleveland experience, or the NY experience. They were all trying to wing it the best that they could.

One of the main reasons that the BB was written was: so that there wouldn't be too much variation. And, it's why Bill took the 6 Steps and broken them down into 12 Steps, to explain it better to "those that would only have the book" -- "leaving them no wiggle room" and encouraging them to be thorough w/ the Steps. :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: Step 3

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:00 pm

Can you access this one?
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jebtion12345 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:00 pm

yep, sure can
Jebtion12345

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:42 pm

I hope it's fixed then. Let me know if you have other problems. The only way I'll know is -- if you members let me know. Kind of like "why I need to stay involved in AA" aye? :)
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:38 pm

Dang that's the daily drill isn't it 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) .

I seem to have been naturally born lazy and self centred. However the one act that I have found in the past years is the morning prayer and meditation techniques some of which came to me outside of AA after I was about 10 months sober and had finished the bulk of my amends list.

Today If I leave home without it someone will generally get harmed. Usually me :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Ranman99

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Steps