- The Elevator is Broken, Take The Steps

The Elevator is Broken, Take The Steps

Experiences along the way that bring us closer to our Higher Power

The Elevator is Broken, Take The Steps

Postby JR » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:55 am

I excercise 5 days a week most weeks. I work on the top floor of a 20 story building and try to take the stairs at least a couple of times each day. Last night I worked a late shift and when I came into work this morning at 0' dark thirty there was a bright red welcome sign on the door:

THE ELEVATOR IS BROKEN, TAKE THE STEPS

I hadn't even had a cup of coffee yet but I had to chuckle because I used to know a guy that would say those exact words after every time he spoke. So, first thing this morning I was thankful that I was physically prepared to hike the 20 flights. One guy called in sick at the bottom of the stairs and just went home rather than make the effort. Others were trying to cough up that pesky piece of lung and ranting and raving.

I hiked up without a problem and while I hiked I thought about the AA steps and how we practice the principles of the steps every day for just in case things don't go our way, or we get a resentment or the creek rises and the sun don't shine. We practice them because we know it will keep us spiritually fit for that occasion when the elevator is broken.

Laugh Each Day,

Jr
JR

Thank you

Postby 918gma » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 am

Never thought about that way, but I'm glad you pointed it out. I always look for the elevator. The easier softer way. Boy do I get made when it doesn't work too.
918gma

Return to Sobriety and Moments of Clarity