- 12 Traditions for Relationships

12 Traditions for Relationships

A discussion of topics related to relationships in recovery and treatment

12 Traditions for Relationships

Postby MichaelH » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:50 pm

Was at a meeting recently and we read from a text titled something like "Twelve Traditions of Relationships in Recovery." It may have been from the Houston Intergroup? Does anybody know this text and perhaps have a pointer to a PDF? Thanks in advance.
MichaelH

Postby Dallas » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:41 pm

Hello MichaelH! Welcome to the site!!!

I think I have what you're referring to -- I've just got to remember where I've got it and dig it out. As soon as I do find it - I'll either post it or send you a PM with a link to it.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: 12 Traditions for Relationships

Postby WyndWoman » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:52 pm

MichaelH wrote:Was at a meeting recently and we read from a text titled something like "Twelve Traditions of Relationships in Recovery." It may have been from the Houston Intergroup? Does anybody know this text and perhaps have a pointer to a PDF? Thanks in advance.

a Google search will bring it up, and it's EXCELLENT relationship advice for ALL your relationships, not just romantic ones!
WyndWoman

Postby Fallon » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:31 am

1. Our common welfare should come first. A healthy relationship depends on unity.

2. For our group purpose there is but one ultimate Authority. A loving God. Each of us is under that authority, neither of us governs

3. The basic requirement for our relationship is a mutual desire to make it work

4. Each of us should be autonomous and respect the others autonomy except in matters affecting our common welfare or the welfare of our family

5. Our relationship's primary purpose is one of love, our friendship with each other.

6. We ought never independently endorse finance or lend commitment to any outside enterprise lest we become diverted from our primary purpose.

7. As individuals we strive to be fully self supporting emotionally spiritually & physically. As a group we vow to support each other

8. Our relationship should remain forever nonprofessional with each other; however, we are free to seek the assistance of special workers

9. Our relationship ought never to become organized under sole authority

10. We as a couple will always respect the other person's opinion on outside issues and if necessary agree to disagree without controversy

11. We will strive to always address each other in a loving and respectful way both personally and in public

12. Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of our relationship ever reminding us to place Spiritual Principles before our personalities, emotions or circumstances
Fallon

Postby dimples12562 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:54 pm

These are great!!
dimples12562

Postby Dallas » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:40 pm

I like the part about being Anonymous in the relationship. :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby dimples12562 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:44 pm

yeah...#4 & #12 are a bit confusing to me but all & all I like this stuff
dimples12562

Postby Dallas » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:45 am

I have a complaint w/ #7. It's just not clear enough that she's supposed to support us w/ her money. Yes, we can be fully self supporting emotionally spiritually & physically -- but, she still needs to pay the bills. LOL.

Sound familiar? LOL.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby celebres07 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:39 pm

Yeah that's cool.

But just when I got to No 2 about having a loving G-d or HP, well, that leaves out my second marriage. He was clean and dry but never worked the steps and certainly did not believe in G-d

However, when i got sick --i mean, when I had a few health problems, he was right there, comforting and supporting. He also supported me in life and career.

He denies that he believes in a HP but does believe there is a mysterious force that guides us and intervenes in our lives.

so when I was recovering recently from a very serious illness, he actually prayed over me when i asked him to.
I asked him who he was praying to and he said, whoever you believe in.
that was so sweet.
still we just could not live together. it is hard or impossible to live with somebody who doesn't work the steps an does not go to meetings.
celebres07

Postby Dallas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks for sharing! And, welcome to the forum!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Next

Return to Relationships in Recovery