- SOBRIETY CHECK IN

SOBRIETY CHECK IN

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby dimples12562 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:33 pm

Mornin Triple D (lite) :wink:
dimples12562

Postby Jebtion12345 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:38 am

"Father feels he has struck something better than gold. ... He may not see at once he has barely scratched a limitless lode that will pay dividends only if he mines for it the rest of his life and insists on giving away the entire product."
p.129

This passage is filled with such excitement and zeal for recovery, unity and service.

I can assure everyone it took me along time to see sobriety and the program as gold!!

But when the dividends start coming in due to the mining, wow!!!!!

I heard at a meeting the other night "you get your marbles back and 5 years, and at ten you learn how to use them."

I think that is kind of the same as above. I have been trying to make sense of that statement and put a positive spin on it for a few days then I remembered this part of the chapter.

Have a great day!
Jebtion12345

Postby Dallas » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:06 pm

Thanks for the quote Joseph!!!! It's one of my favorites.

Dallas, alcoholic, checking in!

Happy Tuesday to everyone! I think I'm headed out for Chinese food so I can get a fortune cookie! :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Advertising removed from site

Postby Dallas » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:02 am

Good morning gang! Happy Tuesday!

You'll notice some changes on the site.

1. I've removed the advertising on the site.

2. What this means for you:

a. The small amount of revenue that was generated by the advertising covered a small portion of what it costs to operate the site. (Which has never covered the full cost of operating it for a month. Once in a while -- it did produce more than the cost to operate it and when it did produce more, the money was given to Central Offices to buy literature and Big Books for people that couldn't afford to buy one).

A lot of stuff goes on in the backend to keep the site up.
The backend stuff often requires hiring people to do things to keep the site up. Which means -- I've had to hire professionals who know what they are doing -- to fix stuff and to do stuff. I'll no longer be able to afford to pay for their services. So -- that has been cut.

Other service contracts with companies to help keep the site secure so that it doesn't get hacked and spammed to death -- have had to be cut.

b. As a result -- I may have to cut back on some of the services and features of the site -- like the forum here. I can probably leave the forum up and operating for a while -- but, if we have problems that I can't get fixed -- it will have to be shut off.

3. It sounds easy to "Carry our message to those that suffer" and we try to do it for fun and for free.

However, when it goes beyond "one alcoholic talking to another alcoholic" -- it takes money to do it. Operating this site is no different than having a place to meet (which means rent has to be paid) or, operating a Central Office (rent & services have to be paid to keep the doors open and the lights on).

4. Alkies are notorious for complaining about things -- but, not supporting the things they complain about.

Years ago -- we tried "voluntary donations" to help keep the site "self-supporting." I think, if I remember correctly, over a year went by and we might have received $10 total through donations -- and, part of that, as I remember, was from someone who was drunk and made a donation.

So... That's what's going on here today!

Yep. I'm still sober. Happy, joyous and free. And, I will continue to keep doing the things that have kept me sober -- "trying to help another alcoholic."

Highest regards and best wishes for all!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Camel » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:16 pm

Just rolled into Daytona for Bike Week. Lookin' forward to attending the Meeting at the ALANO Club over on 17th. I'm in Deltona, if there are any "rum hounds", around. I'm very, very grateful to be Sober today.

Hub
Camel

Postby Dallas » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:22 pm

That sounds fun!

Have a great weekend Hub!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:54 pm

Just checking in.
Happy Sober Saturday!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Camel » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:21 am

I know I had some horrific hangovers everyday of the week, but I remember the Sundays more. As Kris K said in a song, "There's something about a Sunday.............." I'm in Daytona, on a Sunday morning, thinking about how grateful I am to be sober and not have that awful sickness hanging all over me. I pray for all the suffering and recovering Alcoholics in the world this morning, of which I am the chief. Thank God for Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob Smith, and all the drunks that carried this thing forward, that I might live.

Hub
Camel

Postby Dallas » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:30 am

Good morning Hub!

For many years "Sunday Morning Coming Down" was my life's theme song. I was sure that the song had been written for me. After I got sober, and even now, when I hear that song, I can't hold back the tears of gratitude that I feel.

Another Kris song that gets to me the same way, is when I hear "Why me Lord?"

I think I understand -- what your feeling.

My first time to Daytona, I was about 90 days sober. I was on a road-trip making amends and trying to figure out, for me "What is God, as I understand God?" I knew that there was a real God, or I wouldn't have been sober -- but, I just didn't know anything about God, other than God was helping me.

Wishing you a wonderful and safe trip!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: Sobriety Check in

Postby dimples12562 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:41 am

Good morning gang!!!

HUB!! I'm jello!!! Wish I were out there gettin my 8) knees in breeze!! But I am so very Blessed to be here sober and able to read AND relate to the ESH you're givin out!! Thank you!

Triple D (lite) :cry: so sad to hear about the cut backs but completely understand! Keep us posted, I'm sure that you will!!

I had a whirlwind 4 days off. Took off Friday to cook for #1 daughters baby Shower that I hosted (with the help of my Mom and a #1 cousin) on Saturday. It was an outstanding event!! So many friends & family, so much laughter!! I am BLESSED that I wasn't lookin for an escape outta there (that would have been my plan while I was using, IF I showed up at all). Had a Bull Roast with some friends on Sunday and that was also a blast! Saw a lot of old friends and noticed quite a few over indulging :roll: One couple got home and ended up in a terrible fight due to the drink... :? Thank God thats NOT me today!! It was me many many many times. My busy weekend kept me away from my usual meetings but I kept my head in the BB and was in daily (as usual) contact with my sponsor.

Back at it tonight! Looking forward to my Monday night Step meeting, especially since we are starting on Step 1 :D

Hub is out there ridin, Dallas is got his head all in the IT end of this site and I'm runnin around doin so many family things I don't know if I'm comin or goin!! NOPE, we sure arent a glum lot! Out there livin life on lifes terms!! This is GOOD stuff!!!!!
xoxoxo
~P
dimples12562

PreviousNext

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober