- Introductions this forum is All About You!

Introductions this forum is All About You!

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Postby marg61 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:51 pm

It hits at different times. Folks often think I'm 10 years younger. (hair dye helps, ha) I work out, irreguarly meditate, do yoga. My sponsor is 69. She's 8 years sober. There are gals that say they started drinking after the kids left home. I had a bad year last year and that's when I took to the booze.

Btw, half German, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Finnish. So toast, our relatives were neighbors.....
marg61

I'm new to all of this and I could do with some advice!

Postby JAD » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:54 am

Hello, my name is Jo (female) and after 10 years of drinking without a break I somehow made it over to my first AA meeting on Wednesday. I was not sober and wouldn't have had the guts to go if I was. On Thursday I told myself that I wasn't going to drink again and that I would join as many meetings as possible. About an hour later I had changed my mind and told myself that I would quit for the time being. I have in fact managed 2 days without a drink, yesterday morning I screamed at my 17 old son and told him he was ruining my life (all he had done was oversleep for school). I am too afraid to go to a second meeting that starts in approx. 2 hours. Can anybody relate to that?
JAD

Postby Toast » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:11 am

Hi Jad, welcome aboard.

Yep i can relate to screaming at the kids in my early days. For me it happened when i was trying to do my morning reading and the whole family were trying to get ready for work/school whatever.

I used to yell' i wished you'd all shut up, i'm trying to get some f***ing serenity here!'

Way to go! :lol: :lol:
Toast

Postby Dallas » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Welcome to the site Jo
Yes. I definitely relate and identify w/ you.

When I was newly sober -- to be sober was the hardest thing I ever did.

I yelled, screamed, kicked, hit, purposely drove my truck into someone elses car, drove on a sidewalk trying to run someone over and ripped handfuls of hair out of my head -- in between meetings. :lol:

I was a pretty sick and angry puppy. And, I could go on and on with that list above. But, I'll save the space.

If I remember correctly -- for me, it took me almost six months sober to to start getting out of that stage.

Being sober would have probably killed me or landed me in prison. Yep. It was that bad.

Here's what I didn't know: The purpose of "taking" the 12 Steps -- is to get us over that. I didn't know -- that I could take the 12 Steps right away. I was listening to people tell me "don't go too fast with the steps." They didn't know what they were talking about. And, I nearly died -- from being sober.

I was way beyond "drinking for pleasure" -- I drank to survive. I drank so that I could live inside of me -- and the world -- at the same time. I drank to cope. I drank so that I wouldn't yell and scream at people. I was a much nicer person -- after a few drinks. But, I couldn't stop at a few. And, if I didn't pass out soon enough -- I'd start to get angry drunk.

There is a solution. It's the 12 Steps.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Something else I did that helped: I went to those close to me and tried to explain that I had become sick while drinking -- and that I was trying to stop drinking. And, that I had been told that I would probably have some severe mood swings and do things that weren't appropriate in the beginning -- and that it was going to take me a while to get better -- and that I would greatly appreciate, if they could have patience with me until I got better. Most, not all, were understanding.

Some, those that were not understanding, thought that if I simply stopped drinking -- I would get better immediately. Which, typically, is NOT the case.

Hardly any of us were going out to celebrate and have a drink "because we were feeling so good and in such a good mood!" :lol:

We felt bad, we were uncomfortable -- so we'd drink to become comfortable and to not feel bad.

In sobriety -- it takes time -- to learn what to do sober -- to make us comfortable while sober -- so that we don't need a drink to become comfortable.

And, we have to change on the inside. Again -- this is "why" the 12 Steps. They change us on the inside.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby dimples12562 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:51 pm

Hey Jo Welcome to the site! I can relate to what you are going through!! Faced with this huge challenge we do lash out atthose close to us, even our kids :( I have done it many times. The good thing is that we can, with a reasonably clear mind (no alcohol) can say we are sorry. You're human! I do hope that you made that meeting! Please let me know. I also sent you a private email, lets chat!
~Paula
dimples12562

Postby Dallas » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:56 pm

Welcome to the site, Frank!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby dimples12562 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Hey there Frank!! Welcome to the site!!
~Paula
dimples12562

Re: Introductions this forum is All About You!

Postby Vitor84 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:13 am

Hi, I'm an alcoholic, I'm using the name Vitor84.

I don't want to use my first name because it is unique and would jeopordize my anonimity. I use my real first name in my local meeting because I can see who sees me when I am there.

I relapsed this summer after 9 years. I am so grateful to be back, to have my dignity back, to feel like I am doing the right thing for my life and my family.

I am just taking it one day at a time. I find that I have more frequent desperate prayers to my higher power to save me from taking a drink and to show me the way.

I need a sponsor. But I'm too chicken shxt to ask anybody.

Oh, I originally got sober from a sight like this, in 2001. I went on for the first time on a Sunday night and went to my first meeting on Monday night.

Thanks.
Vitor84

Re: Introductions this forum is All About You!

Postby Toast » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi Vitor84,

Welcome aboard, keep doing what your doing, going to meetings and praying.

P25 of our Big Book tells us ' there is no return through human aid' and how true that is.

God Bless
Toast

PreviousNext

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery