- Treatment Centers

Treatment Centers

This discussion forum is for sharing personal experiences in or with Treatment Centers

Treatment Centers

Postby Step 12 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:50 pm

This discussion forum has been started for those who would like their personal experiences in or with Treatment Centers. And, for questions regarding Treatment Centers
Step 12
Site Admin

Re: Treatment Centers

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:01 pm

Can everyone access this topic okay?
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby SereneJH4life » Tue May 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Not sure if Im posting in the correct place..but here goes.....

I myself, have never been to a treament center...however, I have been asked to speak at a rehab in two weeks. It is not part of my home group commitment but my sponsor and I think it will be good. Can someone tell me what I can expect? Have any of you ever shared at a treatment center before?
Thanks
-jen
SereneJH4life

Postby Toast » Tue May 22, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi Jen,

Like you i was never in a treatment centre but i went once with a friend who had been when he was asked back to share his experience, strenght and hope.

To be honest my first thoughts were anger! They'd had it so easy coming off the booze in their cozy environment and my wife and kids were living on a knife edge with this sober timebomb stalking a sick home that had alcoholism hanging from the drapes. For my families sake i wished i had gone into treatment but the way my family was back then maybe they'd have seen the light and moved out when i was away? If i hadn't made them as sick as me they had every right too.

Anyway that was over a decade ago now and all is well here.

When it was over i came out full of gratitude, some where really sick and i was so relieved i had moved on from that. Also my friend spoke with some of his counsellors about people is his group who came out but never survived. Brought it all home to me just how serious this illness is.

You'll received great benefit and insight from going. Go for it!

God Bless
Last edited by Toast on Wed May 23, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Toast

Postby Dallas » Tue May 22, 2012 3:49 pm

I've shared and spoken in many Treatment Centers, and I, too, have never been a resident of one.

I love it! I'd have to say that sharing in Treatment Centers, Rehabs, and Psych Hospitals has been one of the most important and valuable things that I've done for myself in recovery!

When I was newly sober, some old-timers took me under their wings, and got me to going to the treatment centers & hospitals with them, and taking me on 12 Step calls w/ them. They told me, that it was the AA's who did this stuff -- were the one's who stayed sober and also became very happy w/ their sobriety and their lives -- while sober.

They were right on!

If your experience is like mine -- you'll discover, that in your efforts to go there, to be helpful to them -- the experience ends up helping you -- more than it does them. However, I've also been blessed, to have the experience, of seeing some of those who were in the treatment centers -- show up at meetings I was at, and they shared w/ them, that they believed that something I shared really helped them. And, that feels REALLY good, to hear that something I did -- actually helped someone else!

Most likely, the person you're going in to the TC with, will give you some guidelines, and what their rules are, in regards to sharing and what you can do and not do -- while in there w/ the clients. You can always check w/ them ahead of time, on the guidelines, because they will vary from facility to facility.

Expect to have a great time!
Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Wed May 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi,

As i said I’d never been in a treatment centre and fortunately I’d never been in prison either so i couldn't understand why my 1st sponsor was so keen on me going into them to share my experience, strength and hope?

Then it happened, one sunny evening we waited in line outside alongside the rest of the prison visitors waiting to be signed in. In front of me were 2 cute little girls all dressed up with there pretty summer dresses and holding balloons they'd just got from McDonalds. Compared to the rest of us in the line they looked so out of place? Then one little girl turned round to face me and full of excitement she said ' I’m going to see my Daddy!' Right then my heart sank; it struck me that but for the grace of God that could have been my kids!

When we finally got into the prison and onto the wing where the AA meeting was I completely forgot why I was there! All I could think off was those 2 little girls and how happy they were to be going into a place like that.

That’s the night I found the true meaning of humility, gratitude and also felt the touch of Gods good grace deep in my heart. It was then I realised how lucky I was to be in AA and sober.

Even after 17 years I’ve never forgot that night and think it was a very wise move by my 1st sponsor taking me up there.

So today I’ll just stay grateful and do all I can to stop some other kids parent ending up in a place like that, even if it’s only for the kid’s sake it will be well worth it.

May god bless you lucky people!
Toast

Postby Dallas » Wed May 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Yep. I'm following you like a shadow, today, John! :-)

This afternoon, while I was relaxing my back, I flipped on the TV (I rarely watch tv)
and it was one of those Discovery type shows on "N.D.E.'s -- Near Death Experiences."

I've had a few of those so it got my attention.

Then, I started thinking back to the last one I had -- when I got hit by lightening.

I don't remember hearing a voice saying to me "you've got to go back".
I only remember hearing my own voice -- as I was floating in the air,
looking down on my shaking body -- and I was saying
"God -- If I'm leaving now -- please send someone soon to finish the stuff that I still have left to do. There are some people that are having a difficult time taking care of themselves -- and they're depending on me."

My realization was: All the stuff that I remember that I still had to do -- is done.
Ut-ho! :-)

So, I was trying to remember if there was something left on my Life's "To-Get Finished List."

I so relate with -- looking at innocent & blameless children, and young families
and getting some goose-bumps, while thinking and praying that
"God, please feel free to use me in any way possible -- if I can make a difference in the outcomes of their lives."
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby john boy » Thu May 24, 2012 10:14 am

I was fortunate enough to have spent my first 49 days of sobriety in a rehab. The best rehab in the entire universe, I can say that as a result of my sobriety today, correct? :wink: If one remains sober mustn't it be the "best"? :D I must add the obsession to drink had been removed by my loving God. However, I had reached a point where I was virtually unable to care for myself thus the rehab.
It was a non- profit, county and charity funded operation. No nonsense with guidance, direction, structure and discipline. They had a virtual zero tolerance policy for those who failed to display a willingness to go to any length. Many would say" they are too strict here!" Hmmm imagine that. They gave me a foundation for the structure and discipline I needed and found upon my return to Alcoholics Anonymous. I am forever grateful to them.

Have a great day in sobriety everyone!
john boy

Postby SereneJH4life » Thu May 24, 2012 11:18 am

@toast- Thank you, and that story about the 2 girls got me all choked up. I hope that their lives are good now. (I worry about way to much)... :cry: my sponsor mentioned that this visit would be good for me as well. My nephew died in August from Herion. I struggle with the toughts of "if only I had started working this program sooner, I could have helped him" instead I will help another addict in rehab....... :cry:

@Dallas- thank you for sharing how you pray to make in differences in the lives of those innocently subjected to the lifestyles of addiction.

@johnboy- thank you for sharing

Im going to share on June 1st....will let you all know how it went.....
SereneJH4life

Postby Dallas » Thu May 24, 2012 1:42 pm

I'm waiting to hear about it!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Next

Return to Treatment Centers for Alcoholism and Addiction