- Introduction for LindaM

Introduction for LindaM

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Introduction for LindaM

Postby LindaM » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:37 pm

Hi My name is LindaM and I and I am an alcoholic.

:P I am glad to be here and to be sober. Thank you for offering this site to me.

Briefly,

I live in North Texas. I have been sober almost one month. I am married, have one son who's 16 years old. I am 52 years old and this is my first attempt to stop drinking. My higher power, who I choose to call Jesus Christ, have released me from the cravings of alcohol, and has taught me that I can't do anything unless he's in charge.

I have a great church, which I returned to my faith only 2 years ago. I have friends both in the program and not. My sisters live on opposite sides of the country, and I told both of them this weekend that I was in the program - they have given me their full support. I thank God throughout the day for his blessings to have brought me to this point and for showing me that by turning everything over to Him I can stop living the insane life that I lived for more than 50 years!

LindaM
LindaM

Re: Introduction for LindaM

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:36 pm

Welcome to the forum Linda! Nice to have you w/ us and thank you for introducing yourself! We love it when people share. :)

When I was 21 yrs old -- I had an experience like you mentioned.
I had been a practicing alcoholic and drug addict since I was 13.
I had a "born-again" experience at 21, and experienced the "Jesus set me free" totally and completely experience.

I was doing really well. I had tons of faith & belief, and I was doing everything I could find in the Bible to do and to not do the other stuff.

I went to work at a Rescue Mission in Los Angeles as an Assistant Directory.

I loved it! I had tons of drunks and addicts around me. I led daily bible classes and even preached a bit. :D

I was staying totally sober!

Then, one day, my boss, the Director called me into his office and offered me a glass of Jack Daniels.

I immediately recoiled and wouldn't even touch it. He asked me "What's wrong, do you have a drinking problem?" I said "No. But, I used to. Besides, isn't our bodies the Temple, and we shouldn't put that stuff in them?"

My Boss (a reverend) said: "Well. I used to be an alcoholic. I was in AA 25 yrs and didn't drink. Then, when I got saved -- Jesus set me free and I became 'a new creature in Christ' and quoted a scripture to me out of the book of Corinthians. (I knew the verse by heart).

I still didn't drink right away -- it was a couple of months later, when I was out on the streets of LA ministering. And, it got real hot. I got thirsty. And, the thought came to mind: "A half-glass of beer should would taste good right now!" So, later that day and into the night -- I bought & drank a half of a beer. Figured no big deal.

A day or two later: "God doesn't seem to mind me having a little beer. Besides, in some countries -- they drink it like water!" (I had always drank it like water -- before my spiritual experience. :lol: )

Then, I bought a quart -- because it was cheaper than 2 cans. (Good stewardship of God's money).

That night -- I drank the half-quart. I don't know what happened after that. Four hours later -- a team of about 20 SWAT officers were on top of me, took me out of a deep-sleep in my bed and carted me off to jail. I spent the next six years away from the mission -- because I was in prison. LOL.

What did I learn out of that? The One Step that isn't in the Bible is: "The first Step" and only half of "the 12th Step" is in the Bible. I didn't know what it meant to be "alcoholic." I didn't know -- that even though I had been born again and the obsession removed -- that if I had so much as a sip -- it wouldn't be long that something horrible would happen.

About 5 yrs after I got out of prison -- and was messed up again. I was drinking heavy. And, I had another real close call w/ the SWAT team. LOL. That's when I got my butt into AA (even though I failed the first time)... and I have never been to jail again. :-) Now: 25 yrs sober and I hope I don't forget that "I'm a REAL alcoholic" no matter what God does to me or for me and even if it said I could drink in the bible -- I wouldn't want to risk it. :-)

Sorry. I wrote more than you. I guess I needed to hear this and God sent you my way! Thank you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby dimples12562 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:44 am

Welcome aboard LindaM!!! Glad to have you here!!
~Paula
dimples12562

Postby anz0002 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:46 am

Hello all.
anz0002

Postby Dallas » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:00 pm

Welcome to the forum Anz! sorry i'm late welcoming you. I couldn't get online yesterday.
Best wishes for you!

btw: Don't be spamming & posting no advertisement links here and you can keep coming back. :-)

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi Linda, welcome on board.

I was one of those who ran to meetings because i was scared witless i'd drink again.

Now i gladly go to meetings because i just love being sober!

Take care :D
Toast

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery