- Drug Addicts in AA

Drug Addicts in AA

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Tradition 3

Postby Jay Pees » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:49 pm

“The only requirement for A .A. member¬ship is a desire to stop drinking.â€
Jay Pees

Postby Then, and only then » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:39 am

There were times I thought, what is the big deal. What about love and tolerance? Then, I realized this is nit the issue of tolerance. It is an issue of my survival and theirs.

I had a sponsor who stay sober 9 years from Jack on his own. I can not and could not do that. I would be drunk and die in 4 months. He is an addict, not an alcoholic. He should not sponsor any alcoholic.

Addict chase the high. They have triggers. I chase to feel whole, that ease and comfort. Life is trigger for me. Not a cloud in the sky, suddenly the thought occur. I do, addicts don't. Addicts are learned behavior, I am born with it. I am built that way.

What got me sober can kill others. We have a guy stop drinking more than 20 years, yet he goes out on crack every other month for the last 20 years. He picks up white chips. He says he is an alcoholic. WTF?
Then, and only then

Re: Addicts in AA

Postby Charles McKnight » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:50 pm

My primary drug of choice is alcohol, I am a member in good standing of AA. I believe in the 3rd tradition of both groups, NA and AA. I also remember a very short quote out of the Big Book, "love and tolerance is our code". The group I attend most regularly has no "closed" meetings for this purpose. We believe, if someone needs a meeting, THEY NEED A MEETING. They are allowed to speak of anything which is causing them issues which may not assist them in their recovery. We as a group believe in helping the individual. The more individuals we assist, the stronger the group becomes. Some of us in our group have more experience with alternative mind altering chemical, other than alcohol, these are the ones who assist those who are having issues concerning their own drug of choice. We are not perfect, nor do we try to be. If we cannot assist them, we all have friends in local NA groups and give the person their phone numbers to help them. The traditions are exactly that, they are traditions, not laws. I know I will upset some of the old timers and the staunch AA or the staunch NA. We are just trying to practice that little quote which was posted above.
Charles McKnight

Postby Dallas » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:56 pm

I don't think you'll upset anyone here. They're used to putting up w/ me. LOL.

First, welcome to the forums! Great to have you and great to have you share your experience, strength & hope -- and to let us know how it's done in your local area. I think this kind of forum gives each of a place to see that "maybe there's more than one right way of doing something" and we can learn from it, and it will help us to grow in love & tolerance.

2nd, we just set up this new discussion board -- moving it over from one that had been strugging to keep up w/ us for a long time. And, you'd be a great person to offer some feedback on an idea that we've been discussion. The idea is: Why not set up a few forums -- which the posts can be separate, from the Alcoholics discussion -- but, also have a place for addicts, and prescription meds addicts (same thing I guess) have a place to post what's going on w/ them. And, to be able to help each other -- and to help some alcoholics, too, who might have experienced both problems.

I know when I showed up in AA, I was more of a garbage truck than anything. I was totally baffled as to "what I am and where I belong." That was many years ago. I went to an old-fashioned NA meeting and the founders there ran me out, saying "If you didn't shoot dope, you don't belong here. Go back to AA." I had been addicted to lots of drugs (anything that would give me a buzz) and I had believed that I was a drug addict too. However, when NA was first started, it was strictly for heroin users, so I wasn't welcome. NA Fellowship sure has changed since then.

So, I'm asking for your feedback, opinions (which are respected and encouraged) to let us know: What do you think about it? And, should we do it or not do it? And, if we do it -- what do you think would be the best way to set it up?

Thanks in advance!

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:53 am

I'd rather see addicts anywhere other than out on the streets using and destroying their lives.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Charles McKnight » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:47 pm

Dallas, thank you all for having this for all of us to post our comments on. God Bless and see ya on fb. 8)
Charles McKnight

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:47 pm

Thank you, Charles! Great to have you here. And, thanks for sharing!
I look forward to seeing more from you here and to see you on FB, too!
Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Previous

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery