- New to the forum? We'd like to get to know you!

New to the forum? We'd like to get to know you!

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

New to the forum? We'd like to get to know you!

Postby Dallas » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:31 am

We all know what it's like to be new at something. I've never met an alcoholic who likes to be new. LOL. Regardless, if your one day sober or 50 yrs sober -- or, even if you're still drinking -- and you've joined the forum here -- please feel encouraged to introduce yourself! You letting us to get to know you -- helps us!

Best wishes,

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: New to the forum? We'd like to get to know you!

Postby LMcK » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:49 pm

Hello folks, I am new and this is my first post.

My name is Lynda and I am an alcoholic and I am almost 3 months sober. I thank you for having this amazing forum here for someone like me to draw strength and encouragement from.

Fortunately, I was in desperate depair when I entered the rooms of A.A. I say 'fortunatley' because that's what it took to make me realise that I would do anything to get sober rather than die.

Within 6 weeks I had sought a sponsor and started the 12 step program. It is my life saver! However, I am stuck at step 4. I genuinley don't believe that I am putting it off, it's just that I can't seem to get my mind to settle long enough or my memory to yield the list of resentments I expected to have.
I can remember bad things happening to me, but I don't feel any resentment because of them. In fact, I only have 2 that I can seriously say are outstanding!

I really want to stick in at this step and I would ask anyone for any help or advice that they can offer.

Kind regards

L
LMcK

Postby Dallas » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:39 am

Welcome to the forum, Lynda! Happy to have you with us and I look forward to hearing much more from you!

Step 4. Oh what an order! LOL. I understand.

It was so hard for me -- that I decided that after I got down with it -- I was going to spend a lot of time helping others with Step 4. And, that's what I did.

Here is a link to some information, here on the site, that will make Step 4 really simple and easy for you -- and the instructions come right out of the Big Book. It's just some worksheets, that serve as a "map" to the information in the Big Book, so that it makes it really simple.

http://www.step12.com/step-4.html

Best wishes with it! And, if you have any questions with the info -- you can find me right here.

Dallas

I might have fixed it. :-)

I'll also send you a private message with it, to see if the link will work there.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby LMcK » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:04 am

Hi Dallas

Thank you so much for your reply. I am sorry that I had not taken the time to search the forum before asking this question, but I really appreciate you giving me the link to Step 4. (It worked first time!)

It is absolutely fantastic!! I have downloaded all of the pages and have a renewed desire to tackle it again! I will let you know how I get on.

I was thinking that I probably should have started a new thread with my introduction rather than reply to your first message. If you can you can move my posts.

With grateful thanks

Lynda
LMcK

Postby Dallas » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:27 am

If I can figure out how to move it without losing it -- then, I can do it. Until then, we'll just leave it here. :-) I'm still just learning how this new forum operates and I've already made a bunch of mistakes w/ it. LOL.

I was thinking, yesterday -- that sometimes, it seems as though God has a reason for stuff to happen like it does. I know that this idea could be argued well for both sides of it and I'm not sure which is the right one, but since it feels better to think that there could be a purpose for something -- I'll go w/ the feeling better. :-) As long as the "feeling better" is a safe bet, in that it won't harm anyone, I'm convinced of it.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby kcjax » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:41 pm

Hello, I'm new...my name is KC. I'm hoping to visit here daily.....maybe multiple times. I'm 8 months recovering alcoholic. I'm still an alcoholic but thanks 2 the grace of god I'm no longer a drunk...best wishes for all as we work the steps and travel the winding and sometimes beguiling path to recovery, happiness and peace.....
kcjax

Postby DreaminLill » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi I'm Linda and I just got out of detox for the second time in a year for chemical dependency. This looks like a decent forum, hoping to make some friends. I feel hopeless since I make it a week after treatment before going back to what I know, even with meetings and support. What works for YOU??? I'm particularly interested in people with no family, no children and a history of clinical depression but ANY comments or thoughts are welcome. I've spent just about my whole life (40 years) abusing drugs and alcohol, started when I was 10 with maybe eight years or so clean intermittently. What is it in my character that I can't seem to live life on life's terms? Habit, emotional immaturity, lack of self esteem, genetics...what???? I swear I'm going to get a sponsor and work the steps this time, just need some time to be sober before I go to a meeting, how sad is that? Next one is in two hours.
DreaminLill

Postby Dallas » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:12 pm

Hello Linda. Nice to meet you and welcome to the forum!

First, I'd say, it will be much better for you to be in that meeting in a couple of hours, than it will be for you to be alone and not in the meeting. And, if you get the opportunity to share in the meeting -- I'd share exactly what you shared here. You'll be surprised when at least 75% of the people there will say "I understand. It was that way for me, too!"

That's one of the reasons we go to the meetings. To be around people like us -- that have gotten through what we're trying to get through. It helps.

You've met the first requirement of recovery. You have a desire to be clean and sober. It takes many of us many years (those of us that are lucky) -- to get to that place of desiring sobriety.

As you know -- it's not easy. But, it is do-able. Some people come in and get it right away. The majority of us fail at our first attempts. We have to keep trying. And, we haven't failed -- unless we've given up on trying.

There is a solution. And, the first part of the solution is to understand what the problem is. When we're new we think we know what the problem is. But, we don't. We think that it's the alcohol and drugs that are the problem -- so we go to any lengths to stop using them. What we most often miss out on is "the problem" that causes us to "keep going back to the using." Once we solve that problem -- "the reason" why we use -- we can finish solving the problem. That's part of the First and Second Steps of Recovery.

So, I'd encourage you -- go to the meeting for now. Then, come back here, and we'll discuss "the real problem" that causes you to go back out.

Best wishes for you and I hope to see you back here, soon!
Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery