- Alcoholic Relapse?

Alcoholic Relapse?

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Alcoholic Relapse?

Postby seeking » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:12 pm

Hello,
I got sober in Dec 2007 and jumped into AA. I attend meetings, have a sponsor, work the steps, have a sponsee, friends in recovery, connection with my HP... I love recovery. After several severe health issues I made the decision (with consult of my sponsor, friends and partner) to have extensive sinus surgery three weeks ago. With that came a prescription for pain medication that I gave to my partner to dispense as needed and prescribed. I took WAY less than prescribed post op. My Dr (as with all health professionals I see) is familiar with addiction issues and knows how important my sobriety is to me.
I caught a flu that has delayed healing. I was having a coughing attack that was hurting and increasing my sinus pressure so I took half a pill because I knew that would settle the cough and help with the pain. I am worried I relapsed because I don't think I NEEDED to take the pill - it eased my pain but it was a pain that I could have managed without the pill. Also, I felt the effects of the pill beyond the pain relief. I am pretty hardline when it comes to this stuff and have suffered through some crazy pain to avoid taking meds. But I didn't this time and am scared because my actions have me feeling like I did something wrong. At the time I took it I felt like I was in control - isn't that a bad sign?

I haven't talked to my sponsor or friends about this yet and I know that is a pretty good sign something is wrong as well. I am pretty sure my sponsor will tell me to chill out because I have a tendency to panic about this kind of thing but am checking in here to get some anonymous advice.
seeking

Re: Relapse?

Postby Dallas » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:51 pm

I understand. I remember going through something similar. I was about 10 years sober and ended up in the ER for chest pains. They thought I was having a heart attack. To try and stop the spasms that my heart was having they tried to give me morphine and I fought them over it. LOL. I was trying to explain that I had been addicted to drugs and was a recovering alcoholic and couldn't take the morphine or it would be a relapse. They looked at me like I was nuts as the doc said "I don't care what you are -- you're under my care right now -- and this is what your getting."

I laid in the hospital for a couple of days in remorse and regret and wondering "Oh my God! I've lost my sobriety date! What's going to happen when I tell my sponsor, and all those newcomers that I've been helping? And, all the old-timers that helped me so far! My life is over!" :-)

When I was able to use the phone, I called my sponsor and told him what happened. (He now has 53 yrs sober, so I trust him) ... he said "No. That's not a relapse. That's what normal people do. They follow their doctors orders and do what the doctor says to do. Consider this time -- a freebie. I hope you at least enjoyed a little bit of it because you put yourself though a mess of unnecessary feelings over it!" :-)

So, I pass that on, to you. "No! That's not a relapse. That's normal."

Best wishes to you and for you!
Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby seeking » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:32 pm

Thanks so much I really appreciate you taking the time to reply! I feel much better about it now and will make sure to talk about it with my trusted recovery community!
seeking

Postby Dallas » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:15 am

Wishing you the best Seeking. I hope Life is treating you really good today.
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober