- How did you know you were ready?

How did you know you were ready?

Discussions related to Sponsors, Sponsoring, Working with others,

How did you know you were ready?

Postby Frananne » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:43 pm

I am doing steps 10 and 11 which I think of as the rerun steps. I have begun to think about how I would know I was ready to be a sponsor. How did you know? Did someone just ask you and you took it as a sign from God?
Frananne

Re: How did you know you were ready to be a sponsor?

Postby Dallas » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:58 pm

The way it was explained to me, when I asked a similar question was:

1. Have you been sober 24 hours? My answer was yes. They said "then, you can sponsor someone on how to be sober 24 hrs."

2. Have you taken the 12 Steps? My answer was: "Finally!" :-) They then said "Then you can now sponsor someone on taking the Steps."

The entire foundation of my recovery has been "to help another alcoholic to achieve and maintain sobriety." For me, this is FUNDAMENTAL and vital to my own sobriety and recovery. It's "HOW" I stay sober, one day at a time. Could I sponsor someone else in doing this? Sure. Because I've done it.

As I see it, the first requirement for my own continued sobriety is: to help some other alcoholic (or addict), who desires to be sober. I can share my experience, strength and hope with them. Is that nearly the same as "sponsoring"? :-)
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: How did you know you were ready?

Postby Frananne » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:33 pm

Thank you ! So the answer for me is that I am ready to help someone else.
Frananne

Postby Dallas » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:52 am

Thanks for being here. With you being here and you sharing -- you help this alcoholic, each time that you do! ;-)
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Frananne » Sun May 20, 2012 4:52 pm

So I guess that today God decided I was ready. Someone asked me to be her sponsor and I said yes. No small coincidence that today was officially the end of the 90 meetings in 90 days that I began when i acquired my own sponsor. She of corse told me to do that. Today I told my new sponsee's to do 90 meetings in 90 days.

I plan to suit up(reread the book somemore! And show up- keep going to daily meetings whenever possible. I pray that I can do the job as He sees fit.
Frananne

Postby Dallas » Sun May 20, 2012 11:50 pm

Congratulations, Frananne!!! I'll bet this will be a great experience for both of you!
Wishing the very best for both of you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Frananne » Thu May 24, 2012 7:04 pm

So after meeting with my new sponsee's and hearing from her via text the next morning she has dropped off the radar screen. Iafter she did not call I sent a text saying that this is a program of action and she should CALL me when she was ready for action.

Methinks that my higher power sent her to me so that I would learn a couple of things about my own self that I needed to learn.

I pray that she will return to the rooms soon.
Frananne

Postby Dallas » Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

I understand. :-)

About the first dozen that asked me to be their sponsor and got my phone number -- never called more than once, before they dropped off the radar screen. LOL.

Sponsoring -- is where we learn the importance of knowing the importance of "how to be sponsored."
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Sponsors Forum