- I need to fake it in AA I'm not an alcoholic

I need to fake it in AA I'm not an alcoholic

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

I need to fake it in AA I'm not an alcoholic

Postby doghouse907 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:24 pm

PLEASE ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED I have to go to AA for court. Im NOT an alcoholic. In fact my crime had NOTHING to do with alcohol. But a lab came back saying i had "liver damage" or my liver was low in something. So now im in the Veterans court system and my councilor wants me to get a sponsor and work the steps because he suspects substance abuse. I like that aa has helped people. But its simply not for me. Again my party days are over I havent touched alcohol in years. Please is there ANYONE here willing to explain to me how i can do everything a sponsor would help me do without wasting their time or mine. ill have to fake everything anyway. I just need my councilor to believe Im going through the steps. He sees me once a week. Thank you so much for your time.
doghouse907

Re: I need to fake it

Postby Camel » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Tell him the truth.

Hub
Camel

Postby Dallas » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:28 pm

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully, you'll find an answer here, or come up with an idea, after reading some stuff, of how you can pull it off. Or, to come up w/ an entirely different solution than the one that you were thinking about. I often have those moments of "Wow! Why didn't I think of doing that before?"

I've had a lot of experience w/ faking it. I became so good at it, I think I should have became an actor and worked in the movies. :-) Yep. I was so good at it -- that even I couldn't tell when I was faking or not. The only one's I seem to have any problems with in regards to faking it, were the judges. Even the cops, probation officers, parole officers, and all the rest were push overs -- in comparison to the judges. But, if I hadn't thought that judges were so smart and so different than the rest of us -- I could have fooled more of them, much more easily.

Just play the part. If you've ever told lies to others -- just tell a few to yourself, like, you don't have to believe what you're telling yourself. There were many times that I sat in AA meetings thinking "Man, I'm not REALLY an alcoholic!" I just had to act like one -- or, I'd start drinking again and screw everything up. :-)
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:17 pm

We can fake many things in our recovery except our finances, no use writing checks when we know we cant cover them, this will only make things worse and lead to yet more paranoia, fear and resentment.

Easy does it!
Toast

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery