- 12 Steps/ Working them too hard, too soon?

12 Steps/ Working them too hard, too soon?

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Re: 12 Steps/ Working them too hard, too soon?

Postby Dallas » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:28 pm

Thank you, for sharing. ;-)

I agree with you about the need to be of service. Our recovery is ALL ABOUT being of service to others. :-) The more "of service" that we are to others -- the more we recover, the faster we recover, and the longer we recover. It's the entire foundation of the principles of 12 Step AA recovery. Trying to help another alcoholic IS what keeps us sober, in regards to the philosophy explained int he book, Alcoholics Anonymous. It is good to remember, -- that "individual help" to another alcoholic is what is intended as "the service" factor that keeps us sober.

I was lucky to get sober in a large city where AA was very active. They had Hospitals & Institutional committees, Corrections, and other things going on. I doubt very seriously if I would have stayed sober if the old-timers in my area had not taken the time to get me involved with H&I.

If you have a Central Office, or Intergroup, where you live, or if you have a GSR, inquire where and when they hold "The District Meetings." The District Meetings can put you in contact with those near you, who are attempting to do what you feel would be the right area for you to serve.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Frananne » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:45 pm

Dallas,
Thank you so very much . I appreciate your service to me in responding. I wii indeed follow your suggestions.
frananne
Frananne

Postby Dallas » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:47 pm

Nice to hear from you. Thanks for posting. That happens to me too. Someone comes here and posts a message and it's exactly what I needed to read! That's why I keep coming back. ;-)
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby kcjax » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:13 pm

This is what I want to work on now......service. from what I understand it could help someone else and me.
Where 2 start and what should I do?....no clue
kcjax

Postby Dallas » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:25 am

We can find all kinds of ways to be of service, both inside and outside of AA. What I try to do is, in all the different ways to be of service -- I make sure that something that I'm actively doing is towards trying to help other alcoholics. When I was newly sober, what worked best for me was to stick within the framework of AA in my efforts. Besides showing up early at meetings to be a greeter, to make the coffee, and to pick up donuts or cookies before the meetings, I'd stay late, and help the meeting secretary to clean up and put things away. I also got involved with the Hospitals & Institutions Committee and went on panels into the Veterans hospitals, psychiatric hospitals and recovery and drying out facilities.

It seemed like the more meetings that I attended, I would meet more people, who were already into service work, and they would invite me to come and participate with them.
Dallas
Site Admin

Previous

Return to 12 Steps