- Summing up the steps

Summing up the steps

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Summing up the steps

Postby GeoffS » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:41 pm

As finally expressed and offered, they (the 12 steps) are simple in language, plain in meaning. They are also workable by any person having a sincere desire to obtain and keep sobriety. The results are the proof. Their simplicity and workability are such that no special interpretations, and certainly no reservations, have ever been necessary. And it has become increasingly clear that the degree of harmonious living that we achieve is in direct ratio to our earnest attempt to follow them literally under divine guidance to the best of our ability.
(Dr Bob, 1948.)

Yet still we alcoholics look to find complications in the steps, and come up with many ways of convaluting and expanding on them.

It would be really great to have Dr Bob do some AA today and see what he made of it wouldn't it?

He also advised Bill "let's not louse this thing up."
GeoffS

Postby Dallas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:45 am

Just think of all the books that have been written to try to expound upon the 12 Steps! :lol:

Here is, the precise problem that creates the need for all the books:

The 12 Steps is a Plan of Action. They are an outline of a precise set of actions to take.

Rather than take the actions and follow the outline... alcoholics want to "think about the Steps" rather than take them. :lol:

The problem of the alcoholic centers in his/her mind. They have a "thinking problem" and they use their problem-mind to try to "think their way out" of a problem -- rather than "act (taking actions) their way out of their problem."

Alcoholics are also think-aholics. And, it's their alcoholic thinking that is going to lead them to the gates of insanity and death.

Silkworth, states in the beginning of the book of instructions on recovering from alcoholism "Frothy emotional appeal" will not work with an alcoholic.

The only language that alcoholics seem to understand is: Pain. Pain will drive them to either taking their next first drink, or taking the next right action. And, not until the pain is great enough -- will the alcoholic take the next right action. When the pain is great enough, and lasts long enough for the alcoholic to complete a specific series of actions -- (the 12 Steps)... they can overcome this problem.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby GeoffS » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:37 am

The Twelve Steps -

brought to you by a well known sportswear firm -

Just Do It !
GeoffS

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:38 pm

:lol: :lol: I agree! Just do it -- now! :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: Summing up the steps

Postby Toast » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:17 pm

Enjoyed what i read here.

After all the Big Book says ' these are the Steps we took' to get well.

It doesn't say ' here's a list of the 75 meetings per week i done while i stayed sick!'

Be well
Toast

Re: Summing up the steps

Postby Ranman99 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:52 pm

I could phrase it "these are the steps I continuously heard/complained/had opinions on/avoided/critiqued etc etc all those years I was in and out of AA and then finally took and was amazed that the damn stuff was true".

Today I try to stick to sharing on the experiencing I have had not the opinions on experiences I have never had :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now today I hope to have a grand 1234th day of sobriety and I was just poking about and thought wow 1,2,3,4 how cool is that to drop by the site and share. Today I do not try to advocate how someone connects with God but I love this little blurb that I just read on silkworth dot net :

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and may not have charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Does not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

I think I will try to be of service today.

Ciao, all!!!!! The sun is shining the birds are singing. It's a long way from 1 2 3 4 days ago;-)
Ranman99

Return to 12 Steps