- If you are having trouble finding a higher power...

If you are having trouble finding a higher power...

Sobriety quotes and sayings heard in Meetings

If you are having trouble finding a higher power...

Postby Boiled Dove » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:09 am

...you can borrow mine.
Boiled Dove

Re: If you are having trouble finding a higher power...

Postby Dallas » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Thanks for sharing it Dove. When I was new -- that was one of my favorites. And, I did borrow, too! :-) Now, I'm spending the rest of my life trying to pay back what I borrowed. :-)

Another personal favorite was "Thank God -- there's a God!" :-) So simple, yet it would do the trick for me every time. It still does, too.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Boiled Dove » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:00 pm

Finding, or perhaps more to the point accepting, a higher power was something I really struggled with.

That red book, "Came To Believe", was quite helpful. Not that I found a usable concept of a higher power there but it did help me realize that I was not the only one who had had this struggle.

I tried to read William James right when I was first sober, that did not work too well. I keep meaning to go back now that my brain cells have become reacquainted but have not done so.
Boiled Dove

Postby Dallas » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:01 am

I love reading William James.

I understand on the finding Higher Power. When I was new -- I was supposed to come up w/ my own concept of a Power Greater than myself, or God, and it was supposed to be of my own discovery -- not something I read in a book or that had been taught to me. At least -- that's what I thought my sponsor suggested that I do. :-)

So, what did I do? I headed down to China Town, in Los Angeles, bought me some little Budha like things, some wind-chimes, incense, and some old-translated-into English Chinese books on meditation. I figured since those people had been into spiritual stuff for so long -- they would have a better edge on it. LOLk.

Guess what? I was reading a book! LOL. Tell me to turn right -- and for sure I'll turn left. Tell me not to turn left and for sure I'll turn left.

I eventually got something I could work with. Not sure how many books it might be in or maybe it's not in any of them. All I know is: It's mine. :-) I can live with it. I understand why I believe it. And, it works for me. It might not work for anyone else -- but, they're supposed to have their own, anyway. They don't need to be messing w/ mine. :-)
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Quotes and sayings - heard in meetings