- A.A. relapse rate for alcoholics

A.A. relapse rate for alcoholics

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby Toast » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:07 pm

I may not be expressing my point very clearly but to me the ' Canadian experiement' of doing away with God in recovery smacks of Ego. No doubt some trumpet ass know it all will be taking the credit for finding a new way out the madness of active alcoholism.

Folks are now trying to poo poo the idea of a supreme deity looking after us all. After all more folks worship guys like Steve Jobs these days than Jesus. Today everything appears to be humanly possible, apart from recovery from addiction?

Are these people going to hijack elements of the 12 step recovery programme they like and leave out the most important part?

Surely they cant be calling themselves a fellowship of like minded individuals if they're being told what to believe?

If a firm belief in God was good enough for Albert Einstien why not alcoholics?

I'd better go before i blow my stack at these imposters!
Toast

Postby Camel » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:44 pm

Toast wrote:I may not be expressing my point very clearly but to me the ' Canadian experiement' of doing away with God in recovery smacks of Ego. No doubt some trumpet ass know it all will be taking the credit for finding a new way out the madness of active alcoholism.

Folks are now trying to poo poo the idea of a supreme deity looking after us all. After all more folks worship guys like Steve Jobs these days than Jesus. Today everything appears to be humanly possible, apart from recovery from addiction?

Are these people going to hijack elements of the 12 step recovery programme they like and leave out the most important part?

Surely they cant be calling themselves a fellowship of like minded individuals if they're being told what to believe?

If a firm belief in God was good enough for Albert Einstien why not alcoholics?

I'd better go before i blow my stack at these imposters!

My program won't work without God. Don't know about anyone else. There is one professed atheist in our District. I always ask him, "What do ya'll do for the Holidays?"

Hub
Camel

Postby Toast » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi Camel, must agree with that.

It's like they say about the atheist laid out in his coffin, all dressed up and no where to go! :lol :lol:
Toast

Postby Jebtion12345 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:32 am

My temp sponsor 8 months ago told me to work one step a year and focus on step 1.
I had an emotional upheaval at 60 some days and fell to my knees. I didnt want to drink then but the feeling of "beating my head against a wall" returned which I have learned is a prelude to a drink having LOTS of appeal.
I got a sponsor and begged her to work me hard.
I went to step and BB meetings.
Read the BB.
And learned to take what I need (that which is in the book) and leave a lot of the "heady" and analytical things that kept me scratching my head during meetings.
I am amazed at how simple the steps are and they are not as scarey as I thought.
I never had a pink cloud all my other "attempts" but feel pretty darn good now. Some tell me it is a pink cloud. I think it is a result of taking the steps and trying my darndest to apply them.
I think a step a year keeps me sicker longer.
Also, I can drink on step 1.
Bill's story illustrates this point very well.
Self knowledge, remorse, fear cannot keep me sober. Feelings cannot keep me sober and conversely feeling cannot get me drunk if I am vigilant.
I am so happy to be learning and growing and having the courage to not be negative!
I think the slow approach keeps people sick longer and in my experience leads me to a drink!
Jebtion12345

Postby Dallas » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:09 pm

Thanks for sharing!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Camel » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:56 pm

Jebtion12345 wrote:My temp sponsor 8 months ago told me to work one step a year and focus on step 1.
I had an emotional upheaval at 60 some days and fell to my knees. I didnt want to drink then but the feeling of "beating my head against a wall" returned which I have learned is a prelude to a drink having LOTS of appeal.
I got a sponsor and begged her to work me hard.
I went to step and BB meetings.
Read the BB.
And learned to take what I need (that which is in the book) and leave a lot of the "heady" and analytical things that kept me scratching my head during meetings.
I am amazed at how simple the steps are and they are not as scarey as I thought.
I never had a pink cloud all my other "attempts" but feel pretty darn good now. Some tell me it is a pink cloud. I think it is a result of taking the steps and trying my darndest to apply them.
I think a step a year keeps me sicker longer.
Also, I can drink on step 1.
Bill's story illustrates this point very well.
Self knowledge, remorse, fear cannot keep me sober. Feelings cannot keep me sober and conversely feeling cannot get me drunk if I am vigilant.
I am so happy to be learning and growing and having the courage to not be negative!
I think the slow approach keeps people sick longer and in my experience leads me to a drink!

I'm glad you got a new sponsor. 12 years to work the steps the first time? I've heard it all, now. Work the Steps, or Die!

Hub
Camel

Re: relapse rate

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:52 am

I'm still sober. That's a great rate for me!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Myinitialsareaasigh » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:00 pm

Love reading what you all wrote.

My sponsor always points out the most important statistic in the big book

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people
who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program,"

Besides the people without the capacity to be honest; someone cannot thoroughly follow their path if the steps aren't presented precisely as the book dictates.
Myinitialsareaasigh

Postby Dallas » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:23 pm

So true. Thank God for the book!
It's always amazed me how many people have gotten sober
just by reading the book and following the instructions in the book.
It's definitely enough to keep me humble in regards to helping them.
Dallas
Site Admin

Previous

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery