- Why can't they quit drinking drinking?

Why can't they quit drinking drinking?

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Why can't they quit drinking drinking?

Postby Dallas » Mon May 14, 2012 4:11 am

Many of us alcoholics have been asked "Why can't you just quit drinking?" Perhaps -- that wasn't right right question to be asking. Perhaps, the right question would have been "Why can't you see what you're doing to yourself?"

Every time I would try to stop drinking -- as I got sober, those horrible feelings of guilt, shame, remorse, and a dis-like of myself (self-anger) would surface. My defense became: "If you felt like I do, sober -- then, you'd drink like I drink!"

As my condition progressed -- so did the horrible feelings. And, the mismanagement of my thinking progressed also. My defenses (excuses) to continue on, to take the first next-drink -- became part of the delusional thinking that further damaged and destroyed my ability to understand and perceive what I was doing to myself.

One of the many things that make it impossible for the alcoholic to stay sober -- is those feelings of guilt, shame & remorse. Coupled w/ the fear -- of even thinking about it, let alone to do something about it -- it becomes much easier to just turn to the bottle (or the drug) to try to escape.

However, the fact is: Unless and until we do something about correcting the errors of the past -- sobriety, if any, will be precarious for us.

Here's an interesting sentence in the book, Alcoholics Anonymous, that I believe is worth pondering:

"Simply we tell him that we will never get over drinking until we have done our utmost to straighten out the past." ~pg 77-78 BB.

The sentence, is part of the suggested instructions for completion of Step 9: Making Direct Amends.

When coupled with the context of the sentence that comes right after it -- it's even more illuminating:

"We are there to sweep off our side of the street, realizing that nothing worth while can be accomplished until we do so, ........" ~pg 77-78 BB.
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: Why can't they quit drinking?

Postby Toast » Tue May 15, 2012 1:42 am

I Very much like this.

Manay times i drank again out of pure ego thinking i was due some sort of reward for some underhand deed i thought i'd got away with. Then a few drinks would enliven my paranoia and in my head i was caught and i would start to panic about what i'd done!

What a crazy way to live ,honestly i'd have to be nuts to go back there.

God Bless
Toast

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober