- Trying to stay sober

Trying to stay sober

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby Toast » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi Bill,

Hope your hanging in there and mixing with the right people. For me to stay sober i had to get rid of the old crowd or they would have helped me kill myself with booze. :?

And all the best to Keith with the new baby. Everytime i see one of them i say' tell me now there's no God?' :lol:
Last edited by Toast on Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toast

Postby Ranman99 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:06 am

Congrats to everyone. What a dang fine day. We started our workshop round again today at step 1. Good turn out. 1009 days sober today. I work hard at it cuzz I know this cat has used up more than 9;-)
Ranman99

Re: Trying to stay sober

Postby Dallas » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Trying to stay sober is not easy for an alcoholic. At least is wasn't for THIS alcoholic! It was the hardest thing that I ever did. I failed numerous times at it trying on my own. Then, I tried AA, and I failed at that, too. I had pretty much given up any hope that I would ever be able to get sober or stay sober again. I would read the book Alcoholics Anonymous each night, pouring myself another glass of whiskey as I read the book -- wondering: "If those drunks in AA can get sober and stay sober -- Why is it that I can't do it?" As I continued to read the book -- I hoped, that somehow, I might find some little secret in the book that would help me to have another chance at sobriety. Then, on November 14th, 1986 -- I got another chance! And, I've been sober ever since.

I figured that I had better figure out what it was that I did -- that got me the second chance, and find out what the secret was, that I found, that I didn't know that I found! It took me nearly 20 years into sobriety before I think I finally figured it out.

Simple -- but not easy.

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:27 pm

Yes Dallas it is the strangest most bizarre thing for me that I kept going in and out for 18 years like a revolving door ( and I drank for 29) and then when totally defeated and working the program in a way that I was desperate that it had to work and then bang the problem is removed. Today when challenges arise taking a drink is so far down on the list of things I think I need to do that it never arises.

Keeping close to the program and remembering that after we bake the cake by following the recipe we don't eat it we give it away has taught me how to be a member of my community.

Today is my wedding anniversary and my wife has booked some wonderful things for us like facials and massages and such.
(if anyone did to me what I had done to here over the years since our engagment in 1995 I would have had them ... )

I remember 1310 or so days ago her standing at the door bags packed 4 year old daughter in tow urging me to go to my damn meeting and that when I came back she would not be there and she would not be telling me how to find them.

I had just come back in after loosing my job after a 2 week spree in Manila.

There are no guarantees as it says in the book that the family will stay or come back. In my case one day at a time (and I'm tapping on my wooden head) they have stayed.

My struggle today all centres around getting my prayer, meditation time in and learning to not fall pray to my emotions. I have a new employer. It is simple when I do it.

Ciao, for now.
Ranman99

Postby demfrus » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:06 am

Never, never, never give up. I "tried" for 30 years, never completely surrendered to Step1; ended up in a living Hell. Now sober over 7 years and actually experience true happiness every day. How can I stay sober tomorrow?...accept Step 1 ONE HUNDRED POINT ZERO percent the entire day - not 99.9% like I used to do. The thought of "one day I'll figure out a way to drink like I want to and not suffer the consequence" must be cleansed in it's entirety every day. How does this happen?...by staying in touch with my fellow brothers and sisters in recovery - like you! This keeps me in touch with my Higher Power, who gives me the power to BELIEVE I am 100.0% powerless over alcohol. Troubles will come...dealing with a new big one today. What do I get from being sober?...not the disapearance of trouble, but the strength to face it. What do I get from being sober?...SOBER!
demfrus

Postby Ranman99 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:18 am

That dang HP keeps revealing more also;-)

Dang!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ranman99

Postby Ranman99 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:25 am

Makes perfect sense.

Time and being able to look back in the rear view mirror of my AA experience is how the trust in God came slowly but surely.

What kind of Alcoholic comes into the program with patience ;-)

There were the initial experiencies that got me going ;-) but the subtle stuff is hard for a wack job like me to notice ;-)

Peace and love and jiggy prayers and meditations AA brothers and sisters;-)

Get a sponsor, get your steps 1-9 done and then live 10, 11, 12 every day is the easier softer way;-)
Ciao, for now!
Randy
Ranman99

Previous

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober