- AA and Alcoholic Sanity

AA and Alcoholic Sanity

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

AA and Alcoholic Sanity

Postby Dallas » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:18 am

We hear a lot about about Alcoholic Insanity. In some meetings we hear too much of it. Long-winded speakers talking about all the crazy drinking and crazy stuff they did. I believe that we can actually hear too much of this stuff and not enough about recovery -- to make a newcomer want what AA has to offer.

So, this topic is on AA Sober Sanity! :-) From your Big Book, I read: "For by this time SANITY will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame." from Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book p.84

For me, I believe that the TRUE evidence of recovery & a Spiritual Awakening is: Sanity. :-)

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: AA and Alcoholic Sanity

Postby Camel » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Good topic, Dallas! Being one born with the "gift of gab", I can relate. When I first came into AA, all I could talk about was my sordid past. I had no knowledge of, or experience in living sober. Plus, I liked to hear myself talk. Then, an older gentleman called me to the side after a meeting, and enlightened me. In a very matter of fact, but diplomatic way, he said, "Look boy, nobody gives a #### about how much liquor you drank and all the hell you raised. That's not important. We already know how to do that. What's important is how are you living today? What are you doing to get through a day, today, without taking a drink? Who, or what, gets the credit for that? That's all people like us want to know. Think about that before you speak next time. We come here to learn how to live sober. Tell us how you do that. If you don't know yet, just listen 'till you find out. That's the day you'll have something to say." I needed that instruction.

Hub
Camel

Re: AA and Alcoholic Sanity

Postby Toast » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:15 am

Good topic,

For me that’s why many people shy away from the Steps, sanity means responsibility and sadly some members, for whatever reason, are just not ready for that. If we choose to stay ‘insane’ then it’s still all someone else’s fault and we can still claim we have no control over our actions.

If only they could grasp just a tiny part of the rewards we receive from living an honest, responsible life where we really do reap the benefits of good works that we sow they would grab this ‘thing’ with both hands and never let it go.

I can honestly say i've never had it so good!
Toast

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics