- Why do we share?

Why do we share?

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

Re: Why do we share?

Postby Camel » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:56 pm

Great topic! From: AS BILL SEES IT

A.A. is more than a set of principles; it is a society of alcoholics in action. We must carry the message, else we ourselves can wither and those who haven't been given the truth may die. (Page S1, Service Manual)

Faith is more than our greatest gift; its sharing with others is our greatest responsibility. May we of A.A. continually seek the wisdom and the willingness by which we may well fulfill that immense trust which the Giver of all perfect gifts has placed in our hands. (Grapevine, April 1961)

Hub
Camel

Postby Dallas » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:27 pm

Nice. Thanks for sharing that Hub. It really hit the spot.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:57 am

Why do I share?

I share at AA meetings because I’m a member not just an attender. I care about meetings and have respect for the people who went to the effort to find us a room and grateful for other AA’s turning up to give me a meeting to go to.

Sharing at a meeting in front of a room full of people changes my mood. Just like going to the bar did but this time i get a lift not a downer. When drinking I’d go into a bar quite happy and come out morose. At meetings i can go in weighed down with the cares of the world on my shoulders but when i share something, anything i always come out a lot lighter. If there's a newcomer in the room i can tailor what i say to reflect my circumstances when i was in the same situation which also reinforces my gratitude for what I don’t have in my life today. If i didn’t say anything at a meeting I’d come out feeling the same way i did when i went in and that’s the last thing I want!

As long as i don't share to impress, to wound or to entertain i always feel much better after i speak. To me that’s the miracle of AA.

I also share because I still need my medicine. The rush of blood to the head that comes through plucking up the courage to speak truthfully about how I feel today works wonders for me and that’s real change for this alcoholic!

So if you’ve never went home from an AA meeting with your heart signing with gratitude for today and tomorrow then your missing something truly miraculous. It’s the biggest high I’ve ever had in my life!

Be well
Toast

Postby Dallas » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks John.
I always appreciate your sharing!
Dallas
Site Admin

Previous

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics