- Acceptance? What does it mean in sobriety and recovery?

Acceptance? What does it mean in sobriety and recovery?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Is it for me?

Postby Then, and only then » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:17 pm

I was reading previous posts, and one fought my eyes. It was about which one one should emphasize, acceptance or courage. My dilemma comes from the fact that I don't have the wisdom to distinguish between two Even when I do, I don't have the power to carry it out, for either one. To accept the situation, He must give me that warm feeling everything would be ok.

I am in my mid 40s. I just changed my career to completely different field. I am that middle aged man do not know what he is doing on the job. My ego is under heavy fire. It has been exactly a month tonight. I have been praying for the perseverance hourly. My career hit the wall I could not climb. I had to choose this path. I think.

My keen alcoholic mind and over sensitive emotion have been telling me, 'this is it. If I fail this one, I will never be 'happily and usefully whole'. I know He is in charge. I am right where I am supposed to be. Let go, and walk through my fear. It would be ok, either way.

It is one thing to talk about acceptance theoretically, but completely another when I must live it to survive. The program changed completely for me the last 3 month or so. It is no longer the talk. The design for living at rough going, it truly is. I have snow chance in Hell without my sponsor. I used to laugh and put down the ones who said that. Pain is that ray comes before the sunlight of the spirit. I clearly see the reality when I am in pain. I blow it up, but without pain, I would not know what is eating me. Pain cuts through the fog my ego created.

Maybe I am beginning to accept the condition I was left in after all that drinking and drying. I can only do this because of the program. For that, I am grateful. A drunk like me, His full time project. Thank you all.
Then, and only then

Postby Then, and only then » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:54 am

Thank you Dallas. I am grateful.

Human being with human desires, needs and wants. Trudge...powerlessness, unmanageability. I am never alone, different degrees of life problems and joys, different tides, yet we all bleed the same blood. Somehow, I am gona be and I am ok. I just don't know it the most of times. I wanna be happy and I know it. I wanna clap my hands everyday!

Only when I share my hurts with another Alk honestly, I clap my hands. Thank you.
Then, and only then

Re: Acceptance? What does it mean in sobriety and recovery?

Postby Toast » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Hi,

For me acceptance is the realisation that there was a good plan for my life all along. Being selfish and self centred I was like the Prodigal Son who demanded his inheritance right away so I could blow it all on riotous living. But when I woke up with the pigs (my rock bottom) and made a decision to return to my fathers’ house (my first AA meeting) I realised that even the servants in my fathers’ house (the people doing service) had a much better life than a genius like me.

And my father rejoiced (I was warmly welcomed me into AA) and laid on a banquet (gave me back my sanity) and I’ve been dining on that banquet (enjoying the fruits of a full AA life) ever since.

God Bless
Toast

Re: Acceptance? What does it mean in sobriety and recovery?

Postby Toast » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:39 am

Thanks for the great post Keith.

Sometimes it feels as though i can accept anything except normality?

Shows i will always be a work in progress.

Be well
Toast

Previous

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery