- Introductions this forum is All About You!

Introductions this forum is All About You!

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Re: Introductions this forum is All About You!

Postby Dallas » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Welcome to the site. Wishing you the best.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby russellb1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:56 am

Hello everyone, my name is Russ, and I am an alcoholic. I am new here, but not new to recovery. I have 14 years of sobriety, and am grateful for each day. Looking for new friends, and this looks like a good place to meet good people. Thanks to all of you who make this a great place to hang around!
russellb1

Postby Dallas » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:05 am

Welcome to the site Russ!
You just found some new friends. :-)
Glad to have you with us and I look forward to hearing more from you
and getting to know you, too!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:53 am

Welcome aboard Russ,

Many hands make light work!

Be well

John
Toast

Postby cue » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:02 pm

Hey all,
Just checking in after a busy few months, doing exams and all sorts of stuff that kept me offline. Life is still good but I have to say I missed the sharing here so will take a while to catch up again. Hope you are all doing ok. :D
cue

Postby Toast » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:29 am

Nice to have you back Cue, you've been missed.

God Bless
Toast

Postby Kail M » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:24 am

My name is Kail and I'm an alcoholic. Today is day one (again). I was able to put together a year quite a few years ago before I went on a rampage full of a fake marriage, several days in a mental hospital (due to a suicide attempt), another DUI, a separate trip to jail thanks to me being in a black out and stealing a purse and the list goes on and on from there...jails, institutions or death...nearly got 3 out of 3.

I miss being happy. The year I was sober was the happiest of my life. Tomorrow will be my first meeting. And I'm willing to do anything. I know it's important to have a strong home group and jump in the middle of the pack. For me as well being physically active (I was running 5 miles a day) is vital. Unfortunately I am recovering from a foot surgery so it might be awhile before I'm back on the trail. But at least I'm trying something different today by joining this group, and being HONEST for the 1st time in a very long time also I talked to my Higher Power (some say that helps LOL). Thanks for letting me share.
Kail M

Postby Dallas » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:00 pm

Welcome to the site, Kail! Thanks for sharing. Wishing the best for you and hope to hear from you again regularly.
Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby TCartee2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:39 am

Hi Everyone,
My name is Terri and I am an addict. I am a 52 year old Mother of two daughters and five grandchildren and one on the way. I no longer drink alcohol, however, I suffer from dry drunk syndrome and desire above all else to acquire the serenity and spiritual awakening that I hear so many recovering alcoholics speak of. I wish someone would explain to me exactly what "working" the steps means. There is a big question mark in my mind when I try to wrap my head around this idea of "working" the steps. I also need a sponsor, but I have a problem with trust and I HAVE to be able to respect this person. There can be no attraction to this person other than "wanting what they have", aka, serenity, emotional maturity and genuine concern. I have been dating someone for a year now who is a recovering alcoholic for 20 years as of yesterday. She has been preaching "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions" to me the entire time and I have decided I want it for myself. I really do. I went to meetings for a while just to make her happy but now I want this for me. I have a working relationship with my Higher Power and I know He has guided me to the place I am right now. I finally realized I cannot do it alone, that I need others and their input and support. If any of you have questions or are interested in sharing with me, that's what I need. I am so lost as to what I need to do next. I really need a mentor, sponsor, guide, a finger pointing me in the right direction would even be nice. I want to "work" the steps, what ever that means and someday help someone else.
Thank You,
Terri
TCartee2

Postby Dallas » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:32 am

Hello Terri. Welcome to the site and thank you for sharing!

Some people mean different things when they say "working the Steps."
And, when they read a lot of books about the 12 Steps or go to a lot of meetings and listen --
(Like I did) :-) They end up really confused -- like I did. lol.

When I first came to AA, I knew that I was an addict, but I wasn't sure if I was an alcoholic.
I would identify in meetings as an alcoholic -- to keep the peace -- but, I wasn't really sure about it
because I wasn't sure "what" an alcoholic was.

I stayed sober 5 1/2 months "working the Steps" and going to tons of meetings.
I thought I was doing really good, so I decided to take a little vacation.
Less than 16 hours after my last meeting -- with no thoughts or intentions of drinking
(actually, I was determined "not" to drink -- I was drinking again.

I tried every day for the next 5 1/2 months to get sober again.
I went to lots of meetings and even tried "working the Steps".
But, I couldn't get sober again -- no matter how hard I tried.

To keep it kind of short -- what ended up happening to me was:
1. I became desperate in wanting to get sober.
2. I realized I couldn't get sober.
3. AA, as I understood it -- and working the Steps wouldn't work for me.

I began reading the book Alcoholics Anonymous -- trying to figure out "why does it work for them, but not for me?"

What I discovered by reading the book was: What I had been hearing in meetings and reading out of other books about the 12 Steps -- was not even close to the Program of Recovery that was described in the book, Alcoholics Anonymous. So, I had to forget everything that I thought I knew and had learned in AA -- and start over -- letting go of all my old ideas, absolutely.

One of the first things that helped me was: I could see in the book, that "Taking the Steps" was NOT the same as "Working the Steps." (re: page 58, Alcoholics Anonymous).

"Taking the Steps" is a specific course of actions to take, in a certain way, and in a certain time -- to produce a result, which most of us refer to as a "Spiritual Awakening." The term Spiritual Awakening, in itself can be confusing. :-)

I wasn't sure IF I was having one or not! Or, if I had "had one" as a result of taking certain actions. So, I had to keep reading the Big Book, until I could find out "what" a Spiritual Awakening was. Much to my surprise, again, I discovered that a "Spiritual Awakening" described in the book -- was DIFFERENT than the Spiritual Awakening that I was hearing about in meetings.

So, I think my best suggestion to anyone would be:
1. Get a copy of the Big Book, and slowly but steadily -- start reading EVERY page, starting with the front cover, and NOT skipping a page, all the way up to page 103.
2. Then, read in the back of the book, in the Appendex section, titled: "Spiritual Experience."
3. I wouldn't read ANY other books, for now -- other than the Big Book. And, to do it, like described in #1 & #2 above.

That reading is just to get you started.

Next, read it like above again -- but, this time, with the intention of "Taking the Steps."
Trying to "work the Steps" before "taking the Steps" -- in my opinion, isn't a good idea. ;-)
Why? Because a person may end up like I did, on my first go around!

If you'd like some help w/ it -- after reading like described above -- I'll be more than happy to help you with it, if you want. If you don't want -- that's fine, too. Or, when you find someone that you might want to help you, if you want help w/ it, you'll be better informed about "what to look for" and "what to listen for" -- when selecting the person that you'd like to help you.

Also, keep coming back to the site and sharing!

Best wishes for you, and I hope that some of the above is helpful to you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery