- "firing" your Sponsor

"firing" your Sponsor

A discussion of topics related to relationships in recovery and treatment

Re: "firing" your Sponsor

Postby Dallas » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:47 am

Thanks for sharing guys. Each time you share -- I learn something new and I'm reminded of something I already knew, but hadn't remembered. I appreciate you.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi,

Today I think some people fire there sponsor for all the wrong reasons. Either when the work gets too hard or the changes they face are just to frightening to contemplate. Many alcoholics just don't want to move out their comfort zone no matter how limited it is. They all want to talk the talk without having to walk the walk. My sponsor says all alcoholics want to be taken care of, and when they finally get this they will never be fully responsible for themselves again. To them its the easier softer way or no way at all.

I know this to be true because i've been there. I've had sponsors make suggestions to me to change my ways because they've seen trouble up ahead. But i was enjoying the rest or the limelight so much i just ignored them, and sure enough trouble came i was left with a huge bunch of regrets for not acting sooner!

Other times i just did not have the energy to put in the required action suggested by my sponsor. Being a workaholic i gave everything to my job because at that time in my life my job was who i was. The job gave me the BMW, the title and the salary that paid for the nice caribbean cruises. I gave so much of myself away to gain material things and reverse my low self esteem i'd left nothing in the tank for my real sick alcoholic self. There was just nothing left of me to work with, it was all gone on building an image of what i thought a real man should be. My tough but generous boss was my god and i revelled in his compliments. I was so far up my own ass i just paid lip service to AA and everyone in it. I'd come into AA with nothing and now in my sick head i had it all and i got there all by myself, or so i thought?

Eventually the trouble my sponsor predicted came and i was found sorely lacking in the resources needed to overcome or prevent it.

So today i enjoy a much quieter life and i'm so glad i'm out of that rat race, even if you win it, your still a rat!

God Bless
Toast

Postby Dallas » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Some really good wisdom there, John! Thanks for sharing it!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Frananne » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:07 pm

Thank you John.
Frananne

Previous

Return to Relationships in Recovery