- SOBRIETY CHECK IN

SOBRIETY CHECK IN

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Re: DAILY SOBRIETY CHECK IN

Postby Frananne » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:06 pm

Happy Saturday back at ya! Feeling very content today. Had a good Women's mtg at my club this am, had coffee with my running buddies this am before that. I am doing hepatitis C triple drug treatment so a day that finds me good in both mind and spirit is a blessing. I have been treating for 12 days. Only fatigued today.

Finally led a jail AA meeting yesterday. It went really well. It is in a regular women's tank and a few ladies had been to AA so we had a real meeting. I feel privileged to have been called to this particular service.

Other stuff going well in my service AA life too.

Labor Day will bring good things like deviled eggs and my young adult foster " kid" for an overnight. Got to get the flag out of the closet!

I wish y'all Love and happiness with your Sobreity!
Fran
Frananne

Postby Toast » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:19 pm

Tuesdays musings,

Met an old sponsee today, we parted on the best of terms a few years ago, well at least i think we did when he just fell off the radar, as some do. A few months later i was relieved to learn he'd just moved onto someone else.

Anywayz he called me today to meet up for a coffee where he gave me back some books n stuff i'd given him a long time ago?

He says it all part of his step 9 with his new sponsor, told him i'd got the stuff from other AA's when i first came in and was just passing it on and he should do the same. Plus i can't really say who the stuff belongs too, a great deal of the men and women who helped me way back then have, by the grace of god, died of natural causes.

Anywayz i just thought i'd share that because its the last thing i thought he wanted to meet up for? He also told me he was 6 years sober yesterday and i must say he was looking well so i'm real glad somethings working in his life. Although i am still a bit puzzled by events that took place at todays meet up or is it my newly discovered defect of character to never return stuff thats been loaned to me thats the real problem?

Love,light,laughter!

John
Toast

Postby Frananne » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:37 pm

John- I think that meeting would have surprised me also , mainly because it was an assignment rather than that he was seeking you out to just touch base with. But then I get attached to folks too much.

Happy Tuesday! Another hot Sept day but beautiful a good day to be sober. Drinking a diet IBC. Boy is it refreshing! Went shopping. I may be the only woman y'all will ever "meet" who doesn't like shopping. One of my meds causes rashes in the sun. So i bought some long dresses as it's too hot in Tx to wear pants.

Spent a bit of time today working on AA stuff for a meeting tonight, reread some of the Big Book and 12 and 12 to prep for sponsee work, and enjoyed the new grapevine stories.
Frananne

Postby Toast » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up Frananne, never thought the man was acting on an assignment and not just an impulse to meet up with a former close friend?

You ever get the feeling you were really meant to go to a particular meeting to just sit back and absorb what’s being said? Well tonight was one of those nights, me and 2 other guys took a trip up to a meeting located in a side room of Dunblane Cathedral. It was a good night for a trip somewhere fresh. As ‘ How It Works’ was being read out choir practice and bell ringing was going on in the main Cathedral just through the wall. This set a nice angelic tone to the proceedings. I can honestly say my spirits were raised to another level before I even heard a word!

The meeting itself was more like the UN than AA. We had a rabbi from South Africa, a lady from the Czech Republic, a Greek Orthodox American from Arizona, a former cocaine dealer from the City of Liverpool and an assortment of Scots and English from all over the country. Given that there were only 17 people in the room it was quite an eclectic mix! And as someone pointed out if it wasn’t for us all at one time being afflicted by the madness of alcoholism we would never have met!

Anyways the theme seemed to be how we eventually become so sick we just shut down. Either through fear or our instinct for self-preservation we do nothing but conserve our meagre resources so we can keep on drinking, nothing else happening in our lives now just booze. The identification I got was frightening. Guess that’s because I’d been there and done that a long time ago but the guy sharing about it is not long out of that hell so for him it was still fresh in his mind which made his share all the more remarkable and courageous to say the least.

And everyone in the room had also been there at one time in their lives and just like myself were just so grateful to be out of that hell. As one guy from the farthest north of Scotland said ‘ I come to meetings because I don’t want my head anywhere near me!’

Then again I don’t think I’m relaying a fair interpretation of tonight’s meeting, there was far more laughter than sorrow but it was laughter at something we could all identify with, everyone in the room, no matter where in the world they came from, felt the same about that most sordid period in there lives.

I’m thinking maybe because the pain touched our souls the laughter that followed also came from our soul, right deep down inside us where it matters most, a place where only people on a spiritual journey can connect with each other?

It sure worked wonders for me!

God bless
Toast

Postby Frananne » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Great post Toast! Really enjoyed. Had a good sober day but kind of tired so that's the end of my post!
Frananne

Postby Toast » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:25 pm

Good day all, hope your Saturday has been filled with many blessings.

Took my 7 yr old granddaughter to a butterfly farm today, it was basically a big hot house planted out like a rain forest filled with some of the most beautiful creatures ever put on Gods earth. I was more enthralled than my granddaughter; she was exhausted running round after the butterflies trying to catch one. For me it was like my pursuit of serenity, after I had chased it for years I finally stopped running and it landed right on my nose! And I certainly felt serenity in there today admiring God’s handiwork.

Then we headed into town for a spot of lunch where we witnessed a very humanitarian act. Being an unusually nice day lots of cafes had tables out front and everywhere was busy. As we hung about looking for a spare table this young women who was wearing clothes that at one time would have marked her out as being what we would call 'very middle class' came shuffling by looking somewhat troubled, dirty and worn. I don’t know how to explain this but when I looked into her eyes as she approached my whole body went on amber alert? As we held ourselves in check to let her pass she shuffled on past a table of 4 old ladies. Then with all the grace of a drunken elephant she stooped down, snatched one of the ladies handbags and made a very pathetic run for it! Her awkward style of running made me think she had a heel missing from one of her shoes? A man at another table got up and quickly made chase eventually disappearing down an alleyway after the dishevelled young women. 5 minutes later he came back with the handbag.

After the old ladies thanked him for his brave efforts one asked why he never kept hold of the thief until the police came? The very nice gentleman replied ‘ just forget it, it will take more than a night in the cells to fix her!’

Being completely lost for words at what we had just witnessed I thought ‘ well done you, what a very humanitarian thing to say!’

God bless
Toast

Postby Toast » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:26 pm

Evening,

Must be a grim day in the states today, and no wonder, shocking thing to happen. You have my comiserations.

Heads tormented with ' power driven arguements' that are still all in my head.

Just don't like the way my son's in-laws talk to him, they seem to think he's just here for there benefit?
Then again i suppose the only one who can change it is him. I know if i step him that will be the ball burst so i best just talk to my sponsor about it. My track record at making other peoples lives better is not good. Thanks God we've just to do this one day at a time, right now if you told me it was two days at a time i'd go nuts!

God bless
Toast

Postby Toast » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:28 pm

Crisis, what crisis?

I've been to the gym today and feel a millions dollars now!

Tis a day at a time right enough!

God Bless
Toast

Postby Dallas » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Ouch! The gym! :-)
I have an allergy to the gym.
Well -- I take that back.
It's not an allergy to the gym.
I'm just too damn lazy & undisciplined for it. :-)
Oh, how I wished I was different about it!
But, the truth is: I'm not.

So many hundreds of times I've decided "It's going to be different!
I'm going to start eating right, excercising right, working out and
all that good stuff!

Maybe, someday I'll mature enough to get w/ the physical fitness program
and stick with it! I sure hope so!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Frananne » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:06 pm

Had a really good 11th step meeting this am. Only eight of us which makes for a nice intimate sharing. We read pgs 85 to 88, then read something appropriate to prayer or meditation and then meditate for 20 minutes. Then we share. I get so very much out of that meeting. If I am not tight with my Higher Power before the meeting, I certainly am afterwards.

Feverish day today(side effect). Went to the pool and swam 800 meters.(So did you realize what a brat I am? )
Boy did the cool water help with the fever!
Frananne

PreviousNext

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober