- SOBRIETY CHECK IN

SOBRIETY CHECK IN

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Re: DAILY SOBRIETY CHECK IN

Postby Frananne » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:33 pm

Just checking in. Okay day. Was pretty tired today from the treatment I am taking. This really puts into perspective one day at a time. I am really glad I have been working this program. The 12 steps are definitely the keys to the kingdom. I am able to manage the difficult side effects using my AA tool box. Overdid it in the am and so was whipped in the afternoon.

Nice lunch today. I took my sponsor out to celebrate her Sobreity anniversary. She is a great gal and I am really blessed that she came into my life. She sponsors many women and has really built up a fellowship around herself. Lucky to be part of that!

Going to a Correctional Facilities Conference this weekend. This will be my first AA conference. I am doing some of the grunt work and have been enjoying getting to know the people involved in this service. Good service role models, many of them.
Will tell you about it when it's over.
Frananne

Postby john boy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:14 pm

Dear Keith,

I appreciate your honesty and willingness to be open and share things may be difficult at the moment... yet you carry the spirit of gratitude....Thank you for the reminder...As I once heard..."it's easy when it's easy". You are in my prayers...

best thoughts,
John
john boy

Postby Frananne » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:04 pm

And in my prayers as well. God bless you.
Frananne

Postby Toast » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:00 am

Good Monday morning all.

Procrastinating at work today by doing this online instead of what I’m paid to do, oh well i suppose I’ve all my life to work so what's the rush.

Nice to see you back online Keith, you and everyone else who post's here are always in my prayers. Which is changed days indeed, when i first came into AA i prayed every night to the ' Holy Sniper' to put an end to people i resented, never prayed for people i cared for!

Was a quiet weekend for a change, which is good. It amazes me how today i can just enjoy the passage of time and not get bored or feel i have to be doing something, QUICKLY!

Had a bit of retail therapy yesterday and as i wandered around the mall it struck me how good it felt not being in dread of someone, anyone i didn't want to meet come walking round the corner? Guess I’ve you guys to thank for that, either that or the 'Holy Sniper' was listening?

Love,light,laughter!
Toast

Postby Toast » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:18 am

Morning all,

1st frosts of the autumn here, unprepared as usual, oh well guess that means I’m still human.

Went to a Big Book meeting last night, really enjoyed the controversy that went on about the Book being a product of its time and not up to date. Most of the critics were like I once was, folks who were looking for inspiration 1st before they tackled the Steps. Now I know that inspiration comes after the event and not before, once I’d took the medicine as prescribed in the book it was then I felt better inside, not before. Proof enough for me that you get nothing in life without putting the work in 1st.

But saying that I did enjoy the arguments and overheated debates; maybe I’m addicted to controversy for controversy’s sake?

Also sometimes I think the big book is better when you read it back to front, do the stories first and get some identification then go to the start of the same book that helped those people get well.

I know the feelings and the emotions expressed in those stories are timeless, they’ve been the turning point for human beings for centuries past and will also be forcing changes in people in years to come.

As for the book being outdated, Pythagorean theorem was written 800 years before the bible and it still works today so why cant the big book?

Have a grand Wednesday

John
Toast

Postby Frananne » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:13 pm

Is the Bible also out of date???

Some books are timeless even when clearly a product of their time. To Kill a Mockingbird, Catcher in the Rye, Gone with the Wind, etc. some of the Big Book is history as it is step in time but look at pages 85 to 88. Are those pages outdated or archaic? So much knowledge and guidance in such a short book. Enough said. Of course I am 55 and have seen enough movies and heard my parents talk about those years so I feel like I understand the period. If I were 30 would I feel like that since it would be my grandparents' era?

The Big Book is working in my life.

Kind of tired( resting) so I will just say that Wednesday is a good day in Sugar Land and I am comfortable , actually happy and content, in my own sober skin today.

I love my AaStep12 online home group. Y'all help me so very much.

Happy, blessed, Sober Wednesday! :D
Frananne

Postby Toast » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:40 am

Hi, hope everyone’s looking forward to a happy sober weekend.

My anonymity in the workplace must be working well. Today I had to make an appointment with a guy at another organisation we often sub contract work too. Some of my colleagues who have met this same guy before warned me to ‘be careful, he’s one of those recovered alcoholic’s and a real awkward guy to deal with!’

Surely not?

Love, light, laughter!
Toast

Postby Dallas » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:32 pm

I try to keep stuff real simple. If it works -- don't fix it.

All the way back to when I was a little kid, I would take apart broke stuff and try to figure out how to fix it.

If I couldn't find something broken to take a part I'd take a part something good and try to figure out how and why it worked.

I sure broke a lot of good stuff by taking it apart and trying to figure it out or trying to make it work better.

When I first got sober in AA, that's precisely what I tried to do w/ AA. I looked at it, took it all apart, tried to make it better -- and five & a half months later -- I was drunk and couldn't get sober. I learned too much! LOL.

When I got a second chance at sobriety -- I made three decisions:

1. I was going to do my best to let go of any ideas and anything that I thought that I knew about AA.
2. I was going to follow instructions instead of give instructions.
3. I wasn't going to risk trying to fix something that wasn't broken. :-)

To this day, coming up on 26 yrs sober -- I still do my best to adhere to those 3 principles. So far, it appears that it might be working for me. :-)

I did acquire a few new principles. New to me -- not new to AA. And, I try to practice those, too.

Here's one that I'm earnestly working on now:

Dallas B. wrote:Live and let live. When I demand to be right and demand that others see things as I see them -- I give up all opportunity for learning and growth. By demanding to be right -- I'm making the assumption that "I know it all." :-)
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby john boy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:54 pm

I have a simple concern regarding changes to our basic literature which is....Where would it end?...Well, I seriously doubt it would and in time we'd self-destruct.

I've "got mine", ya know?...Meaning, I am fortunate I had the opportunity to get sober and be guided by those who subscibed to the belief what we have works just fine, no fine tuning is necessary and because of that I am sober today. ...My concern is for the newcomer.

John
aka Dinosaur :wink:

A friend while shopping was given a dollar bill with the following written on it..."A.A. works". Priceless!
john boy

Postby Dallas » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:20 pm

I'm very open minded.
And, I do believe in helping all people.

That's why I'm willing to help them with financial aid and efforts -- to go start their own thing and to do it some other way, in some other place. How much more open minded and helpful can that be?

There is a great line in the Big Book, that says something like "At some of these we balked. We thought we could find
an easier, softer way. But we could not."

That's found on page 58, of the chapter "How it works"

I'm not willing to remove that sentence from our book, which is our program of recovery, and re-name Chapter 5 "How it works" to "How it USED to work in the old program -- before we invented our new one."

The solution is so simple: Write a different book and start a different fellowship and a different program.

If "AA the book" stops working for those of us that it is working for -- we can go to them and thank them that they got their other deal up and running and that it works.

If their new deal doesn't work -- we'll still be around and will welcome them back, if they want to come back.

Why is that so harsh? If a fellow wants to use a horse and wagon -- leave him alone. Go build a car. Make an airplane. But don't try to force the guy with the horse & the wagon to drive your car or fly in your plane. :-) The Quakers have avoided cars & planes since they were invented. They hang on to their old ways because that's what works for them. Should we all go invade the Quaker communities and try to convince them to give up what works for them?

What happened to the principle of: "Live and Let Live"?

What's the "changing times" or a "different century" have to do with anything?

A lot of oeople today say men should marry men and women should marry women. I'm not interested in that at all. Nor, am I interested in men marrying sheep. And, women marrying dogs. If they want to do it -- let them go do it. But, don't expect me, or those of us that have different ideas -- to change -- just to make someone else "feel better".

A lot of oeople today want to get rid of the Bible, re-write it, change it to Mother God, and Denise as Her only begotten Daughter -- or rewrite it and say that Jesus was gay, or that he had a bunch of wives.

I say let them go write their own -- different bible -- and leave mine alone.

So, what's wrong with me -- and why am I wrong -- to do and believe and live -- what works for me?

I believe that "Our Rights" come from God and from Nature.
Why should I be forced or coerced to believe that "Our Rights" come from Government? Or from a donkey?

Oh. I see. I'm wrong because God didn't really give me any rights to be me -- to be an individual -- to have my own fingerprints. I'm supposed to change all of me -- to make someone else "feel better."

I'll stick with being wrong, old-fashioned, out of place, politically incorrect and dumb. :-)

My job was to find a "solution" that worked for me. A solution -- where I could get sober, live sober, and be happy while sober. I found it.

I have no monopoly on sobriety any more than AA has a monopoly on sobriety.
Alcoholics have ALWAYS been able to find ways to stay sober WITHOUT AA.

So, let them go find their own friggin way!

"The right thing to do" in my opinion is: for those people to leave AA and go find their own way.

That's my 3 cents on it.
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober