- SOBRIETY CHECK IN

SOBRIETY CHECK IN

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Re: DAILY SOBRIETY CHECK IN

Postby Toast » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:08 am

Morning all, nice and sunny here, always is after a nights frost.

Thanks for the kind words Frannane, life’s good today if I just try and stay in the background.

Went to a convention on Saturday with 3 other AA guys it was a real hoot!
During the day we had a wander around the town then went for a meal then off to the evening meeting where the 2 female speakers were superb but the male speaker just talked to much macho BS for me. The ladies spoke ‘ The Language of the Heart.’

Then after the evening meeting it’s a singsong. This year ‘ Sweet Caroline’ was the bit hit, it got 3000 alcoholics on their feet singing away, does your heart good to be part of that. One well-dressed old gentleman gave us a good laugh up singing some Rolling Stones numbers. He said ‘ its not that funny; I’m the same age as Mick Jagger!

Had a real good time and met some old friends and made some new ones from as far a field as London and Dublin.

Then back to my home group last night where we had a guy in for his first meeting. The poor, poor man, there are definitely some sicker than others and lest I forget there but for the grace of God go I, should I ever decide to go it alone.

Really felt for the guy, it was 19 yrs yesterday since my 1st meeting, i've not been sober since then, i had a convincer after 3 months. But i still remember that day that changed my life and all the people that were there and what they said that night like it was yesterday. Thank God for AA.

Booked myself 3 days off work this week, suns out think I’ll go for a run round the lake. Which is another AA miracle, i hardly had the strenght to walk at my first meeting never mind jog. My right foot had been pinned and plated for 2 years after i broke it in half in an act of drunken revenge. But we won't got there, thanks to the power of this fellowship those days are long gone!

And to paraphrase what the convention chairman said on saturday night 'if you think AA is a competition about who was the sickest then your missing the whole point of coming here.'

Enjoying Life

John
Toast

Postby john boy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:22 am

Hello all and greetings from upstate New York....

I stop by every day and always take away something that adds to my day...

Interesting how someone will share a thought I may have heard many times yet on one particular day it captures me. Most recently a newcomer spoke of how he always had a belief in God yet the depth of his faith was insufficient to achieve sobriety. Oh how I can identify with that....

Have a great day in sobriety,

john boy
john boy

Postby Frananne » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:09 am

I am very grateful to have this group. I am not feeling very well today. Not well enough to go to lunch as planned and do not think I will feel good enough to go to a meeting or really even talk on the phone. New side effect from my treatment, nausea. But I can share here that I had a nice walk and feel pretty good in my mind and soul. I am listening to the Catholc catechism when I walk. My understanding of my faith grows. I am content.
Frananne

Postby Toast » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Evening all,

Really liked your comment John Boy about insufficient faith. Will remember that one.

Sorry to hear your not so good today Frananne, hope you turn the corner soon. Remember there's not enough darkness in the world to put out one small candle.

God Bless

John
Toast

Postby Toast » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:22 pm

Good sober day all.

Took my 2 and a half yr old grandson to the safari park today, good to let him sit on my lap and pretend to drive my car past the lions and rhinos. Think he has the makings of an addict, he cant pass a puddle walking and its the same driving, there like a magnet to him, he has to go right through them all!

My wife said its obvious there's no alcoholics work at the safari park, when i asked why? She said ' because they would let all the lions loose just for a laugh!' She could have a point?

Really enjoying my few days off work and doing the right things with the free time. I know i'm free of something i just don't know what it is but then again why bother, I should just enjoy it while its going. 'Sieze the day' and all that.

Enjoying Life

John
Toast

Postby Toast » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:35 am

Morning,

Seem to be hearing a lot lately about this ' illness of exageration' we all suffer from. Boy do i indentify with that. Every emotion i ever felt was taken to its absolute utmost and blown right out the water. But thanks to my regular attendance at AA i now know more today than i did yesterday.

Enjoying Life

John
Toast

Postby Dallas » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:29 am

A disease called More? :-)
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toast » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:21 am

Very well said,

Suppose life just wasn't enough for me.

Be well
Toast

Postby Dallas » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:27 pm

What is that other G-word??? :-)
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Frananne » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:57 pm

Did I ever tell y'all what I was hiding from while I drank? Fear of going blind( which I am), mentioned it because I had another vision loss over the last month. I have been coming to grips with that fact. Sometimes God sends me just what I need. In today's meditation the first line was "be happy for the vision you have." wow.

Now what is that doing on the October 12 meditation page? I cried a little bit.( meds I am on make me over emotional. I cried over "MajoCrimes" Monday too.This too will pass.) it just never ceases to amaze me how people will just randomly open the Big book when they want to lead a meeting and there you are, a much needed profound thought.

Good day today. Hubby and I went to see Loopers at the movies. Had a good time. Been relaxing most of the day but I made dinner which made me happy. Most of the time right now my hubby cooks so I was glad to have the energy to cook for him tonight.

Saw my doctor yesterday and he is happy with how my treatment is going, as am I. Today is a good day.
Frananne

PreviousNext

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober