- SOBRIETY CHECK IN

SOBRIETY CHECK IN

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Re: DAILY SOBRIETY CHECK IN

Postby Dallas » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:44 am

I'm here. Happy Halloween!
I've been deleting spam advertisement links and banning and deleting the users that post them.
When users register, post their links -- they're spammers. And, they keep coming back
unless you ban their IP addresses and email addresses, along with deleting their posts.

Besides day work, I've been working on my house.
I've spent the last week getting my workshop & tools organized where I can find stuff when something needs fixing.
This will make the house repairs go much faster and I'll be able to keep up on the maintenance a whole lot easier.

I hope you're doing well! Best wishes.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sunlight » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:10 pm

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

I'm still here too Keith. I think of you often & pray for your wife and your concerns.

I LOVE reading your posts & I am still trying to get in the 3 topics you said no alcoholic wants to talk about. Every time I suggest the topic at a meeting, it sooner or later gets twisted around to something else. I try to round it up back to the topic and off it goes again...Hah! We are so funny.

All of the people here are a big part of my sobriety. Your words live in my heart & then go out to live in the world.

Went to an AA Halloween party decked out as an angel & wore a sign that said, "We are not saints!"

Was supposed to bring spooky food to work today, so I made hummus with a sign, "Fresh vomit". No one would eat it!

Oh I absolutely insist on enjoying life!

But I haven't been on the board much cuz life keeps happening.
My daughter just miscarried her baby. My son & his girlfriend will be giving their baby up for adoption. My job is kicking my butt & there's a new lesson every day with character defects.

But I don't have to drink over anything! This gives brightness to even the darkest day.

Dallas, glad to see you again! Thank you so much for all that you do for us.
sunlight

Postby john boy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi everyone,

Well, virtually all of us here in upstate New York escaped the wrath of hurricane Sandy. Unfortunately the same does not hold true for folks in the city, New Jersey, and eslewhere. I recently acquired my first puppy an English bulldog, his name is Jack. He was blind at birth and required bottle feeding as his mother didn't tend to him. His eyesight has improved greatly and his job is to teach me patience and tolerance. :lol:

best thoughts to all...

john boy
john boy

Postby Dallas » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:29 pm

Fixing up old cars can be fun -- as long as you've got another car for transportation and if you're not in a hurry to drive them. It's kind of like working on the house. If I can patiently do the work it's enjoyable -- but when I have to get it done in a hurry, because rain or storms are coming -- I'd prefer not to have to do it. There is a lot to be said about "working with our hands." It does something good for me. And, it adds to my confidence to know that I can still get the job done. :-)
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Frananne » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:41 pm

Just wanted to let you know I am alive and kicking. Week 11 of my treatment kicked my butt big time last week. The meds cause rage, depression, suicidal thoughts, going "out" and lots of nasty physical things. Feeling very fortunate to have a good home group. When these mental shenanigans whip up I turn to our program and do extra meetings. So far I can go out most days.

At any rate had a major depressive episode last week and called my poor brother. He is in the program and helped his good buddy thru the hep c treatment. So when sister called up and was a tearful basket case he was able to help. I had to make a decision to stop going into the jail to lead an AA meeting until I finish treatment. It is just not wise to drive into Houston to do that as one medicine causes confusion. (the car has already suffered.) thank God for leading me into AA and back to Him. As one of my favorite meditations says God will give me all the strength that I ask for and He does.

I am still able to work with one sponsee and lead a meditation meeting and be district and home group CFC rep so I have not had to give up all service work. Find myself resting in God a lot these days. Resting on the chaise too!

Okay remember I am somewhat brain foggy these days: what are the three topics?

I am pretty content ans serene today just fatigued. This too will pass.
Frananne

Postby Dallas » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:33 pm

My thoughts & prayers are with you.
That's got to be a tough road to trudge and I'm grateful, with you, that you
have some experienced help and family to help you through this.

For years in my life -- trudging tough stuff -- I used to think,
"God, why do you hate me so much to make me walk through this crazy stuff?"

I really believed that God hated me! And, was out to get me!

Then, something changed inside me, as a result of the Steps, and the loving people in the Fellowship of AA, who were able to explain to me "I understand. It USED to be that way for me, too!" :-) And, then they would share their experience & wisdom with me -- which helped me to "change my mind" about God, and about tough stuff in my life.

I learned from it that there was an entirely different way to go about it! Somewhere, either in AA, or late at night reading the Bible, or watching some TV preacher -- I got the idea of, "Try to practice giving God thanks -- for everything. Not just the good, but thanks for the bad, too!" Wow! I kind of thought it was nuts at the time, but I figured "heck, I've been nuts all my whole life -- so, why be different, now?" LOL.

So, I began to thank God, and to practice thanksgiving & gratitude for ALL things, good AND bad.

It would be too long for me to write all the good that I've gotten from this simple idea -- so, I'll just sum it up as "Who would ever have imagined -- how my life, and circumstances, could be used as an asset -- to help myself and to be of service to those about me?"

My whole thoughts & ideas about God changed, too. I discovered a LOVING God! A loving God, that truly does care about each one of us!

Thank you for sharing Frananne. You help me, each time you share. And, I am sure -- totally sure -- that you are helping others, who read your sharing here -- and, neither one of us, will ever know who they are and how much they have been helped. But, they know. And, God knows!

Best wishes for you,
Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Frananne » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:17 pm

Happy sober Monday! Cool and pleasant day in TX. Fairly unserene today. Finally realized I was anxious about having blood drawn since it went so poorly last week. After it was over( and done efficiently and professionally) serenity came back. Funny how sometimes you just do not know what is bothering you.

Good meeting today. I just listened and stared at the Serenity prayer on the wall but that was what I needed. This was before going to doctor.

Anyhow back in my happy place happy, sober, and free.

Take care!
Frananne

Postby Dallas » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:54 pm

Happy Sober Monday!
It's a good day, indeed!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:19 am

Sorry to hear of the tough stuff you and Starla are going through Keith.
While I'm not a Veteran, I do have a very special place in my heart for Veterans.
I understand something about tough -- but even my toughest of times, could never
compare to what our Military men and women experience in war zones, and combat.
When I see pictures of our men & women serving in harms way -- I twinge in my heart,
and wish that it could be me in their boots, instead of them.

Then, to think of them coming home, and how tough it is on them,
I get furiously upset to see them mistreated, or not supported and helped
in any way that we can help them. I feel that we owe it to them, and it's the least
that we can do -- to do all that we can, to help them.

Repo guys and debt collectors can be real lying, cheating scum-bags.
I imagine that they are not all like that -- but I doubt they could survive long
in that occupation -- without it turning them into something way different than
they were when they started.

Perhaps, when they got into it -- they, too, were struggling to find a job
and were desperate to put food on the table for their families -- and it was the
only work they could find. Then, somehow, mentally, they began to operate
as if they, too, were in a war zone -- and, it changes them.

I downed many bottles of whiskey, trying again and again, to wash away the
guilt & remorse of my actions, both of the past and of the present -- trying to ease
my conscience when I was doing crappy stuff in the world that affected people's lives.

I thank God, that part of the 12 Steps has given me a way to try to make direct amends to all
those that I harmed -- without drowning myself in whiskey.

I don't know if I could help Starla to find something that she can do on the Internet
for work or for a business, but I'm sure willing to find out if I can. Some folks don't think of
taking their skill sets online and learning a few different things to take them back into having
a producing, and sometimes very thriving income. Typically, if someone is willing to learn to type,
write, and take some pictures -- and willing to learn, and work -- that's about all they need to get
started. Most often, the trick to turning it into success, is to get some personal guidance. And,
I've got plenty of that -- that I can offer to her.

You might mention it to her -- and if she is interested, I'll send you the info so that she can
get in touch w/ me, and I'll do all that I can do to get her busy & making a good income.

One of the cool things about working online is: It doesn't matter where you live, or what the circumstances
of your personal environment are. :-)

Best wishes,
Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby john boy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:35 am

Hi Keith,

Perhaps you are the light at the end of the tunnel...well, at least for Starla and her boys. Thank you for the post and the inspiration you are for myself and countless others here and in your daily world. I believe I remain sober for a variety of reasons. One of them is when others share of their struggles and continue to remain sober.

When I first got sober I wondered how I would deal with the issues of life...Listening to others talk about the loss of loved ones. losing a job, etc. yet remaining sober, gave me hope. Beyond that, I recall being told (being made aware of) that some of us will experience a bottom equal to or greater than when we were drinking. I don't recall telling myself I need to file that for future reference. However, at 28 years into sobriety I have experienced two extremely painful and difficult times that at one point or another I was hanging by a thread-emotionally. I wasn't tempted to drink but that temptation may have been a breath away.

Keith, you and Linda, and Starla and boys are in my prayers.

john boy
john boy

PreviousNext

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober