- Will the past ever change in sobriety?

Will the past ever change in sobriety?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Re: Will the past ever change in sobriety?

Postby Dallas » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:40 am

Regarding Step 10:

Bill Wilson, Step Ten: 12 & 12 wrote:As we work the first nine Steps, we prepare ourselves for the adventure of a new life. But when we approach Step Ten we commence to put our A.A. way of living to practical use, day by day, in fair weather or foul. Then comes the acid test: can we stay sober, keep in emotional balance, and live to good purpose under all conditions?

I believe this paragraph, written by Bill, sums it up perfectly.

The first nine Steps prepare us -- for the adventure of a new life.

When we approach Step 10, we commence "to put our A.A. way of life" (the first nine Steps) to practical use,

day by day (Steps 1-10 being the 24 hr per day, One Day At a Time "Design for Living" ).

in fair weather -- or, foul.

THEN comes the acid test:

a. Can we stay sober,
b. Stay in emotional balance,
c. And, live to good purpose,

Under ALL conditions?

Then, in Step Eleven, he writes:

Bill W. Step 11, wrote:There is a direct linkage among self-examination, meditation, and prayer. Taken separately, these practices can bring much relief and benefit. But when they are logically related and interwoven, the result is an unshakable foundation for life. Now and then we may be granted a glimpse of that ultimate reality which is God's kingdom. And we will be comforted and assured that our own destiny in that realm will be secure for so long as we try, however falteringly, to find and do the will of our own Creator.

" the direct linkage among self-examination (Step 10, meditation, and prayer (Step 11)

"But when they are logically related and interwoven, the result is an unshakable foundation for life. Now and then we may be granted a glimpse of that ultimate reality which is God's kingdom."

What I understand him saying is: Steps 1 through 9, prepare us for a "Daily Living" of Steps 10, 11 & 12.

And, when Steps 10 (self examination and inventory) AND 11, prayer & meditation -- provide that "unshakable foundation" so that we can stay sober, keep in emotional balance & live life to good purpose -- in ALL conditions.

My question has been: "How can we expect to have any foundation at ALL -- to prepare us for the challenges ahead, so that we CAN use the "AA Way of Life" to guide us -- from times of chaos and crisis in sobriety -- into the vision of God's will for our lives AND experience that vision of living in "God's kingdom" -- UNLESS, we have taken Steps 1 through 9?

Thus, the longer time we spend out there -- staying sober, one day at a time, without building that "foundation" and constructing the "arch, whereby we shall pass to freedom" (taking the Steps) -- we're like a ticking time bomb -- waiting to go off and any unsuspecting moment.

I believe that this is the primary reason -- that our Founder's & Pioneer's -- who's stories are in the first edition of the Big Book -- took the Steps IMMEDIATELY upon sobering up physically. And, they learned, that this was NECESSARY to be able to maintain our sobriety, and emotional balance, and continue the Good Life.

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Serenity Seeker » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:41 am

Camel wrote:Hello, Serenity Seeker,

Delay is dangerous, and rebellion may be fatal. Our literature says the Steps are suggessted. However, there are MUSTS in the Big Book. 103 of them if memory serves, 51 of them in the first 164 pages. To me, suggested means I can't tell anybody in AA what they must do. However, the directions clearly state what I must do. and how I must do it, to be Happy, Joyous, and Free. Maybe you should consider getting another Sponsor, if that one has let you go 1 year and 32 days, without working Step 4. I would not have made it through the Steps, without a Sponsor who loved me enough to keep on encouraging me to keep gettin' after it. There was never any relief in my addiction, and there is none here, either. I must keep seeking. I must keep working. The difference is, I'm seeking usefulness as opposed to uselessness. I'm seeking life rather than death.

Hub

I need to continue hearing how fatal it is by delaying the 4th step. No way would I ever get another sponsor, as we well know we can not "make" anyone stay sober or do this work. We have to want it bad enough or be miserable enough to take the action. I am seeking. Thank you for the reality, I believe in the musts also, however in no way make my sponsor repsonible for my actions, she has tried to the best of her ability to help me, and does on a daily basis. I do not know where I would be today if not for my sponsor, she loves me when I don't love myself, she see's the beauty in me that I do not, she gives me strength when I feel like falling and giving up, she believes I can do this and is patient. Today I am seeking life rather than death, I have prayed to my higher power for strength and willingness, for him to help me to implement his will (thoughts and actions) in the way I treat myself and others, and most importantly to continue to remove the insane thought that I can drink, drug or gamble and the results will be different. I always love to here from you camel, I see you are a Mountaineer also. God Bless.
Serenity Seeker

Postby Serenity Seeker » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:54 am

Frananne wrote:I did the steps fairly fast in the opinion of some in my home group. It was essential that I do so. Turned out that after working the steps in 3 months I had a nasty surprise in month four, surprise diagnosis of hepatitis c. I had thought all along that God was carrying me along at the pace He wanted me to do them. I was into service and the practice of daily doing steps 3,10,11 when I found out. If I had not gotten to where I was I do not know where the strength would have come from to make the journey I am on. I continue to grow in understanding of myself and the program but am just so glad I had the tools I needed.

I do not believe in doing things by half measures. I know a few people who , like you, have gone more than a year without finishing step 4. I do not know understand it.

Did Bill and Bob really set a time frame on working the steps? I do know that it states in the Big book or the Twelve and Twelve that we go directly into Step 4 after we have : Made a decision to turn our will and lives over to the care of God as we understood him." I feel awful today, am I balking? Today I feel the same way you did within that three months, I believe with all my heart God is carrying me along at a pace he wanted me to travel on this journey. I am also into many aspects of service "in" AA and not around it. I help others with what I can so far, having a place open, handing out Grapevines, giving rides to others and sharing my experience to this point of where I am today. And thank God for the tools, Let Go and Let God, this is not my life anymore, I can do anything with him. I think I just realized something, I can do this fourth step and get through, because I am not in control. I guess I am fighting you all also tooth and nail, huh? I am standing at the turning point, I do want to choose life over death and fill the void inside. I am sorry.
Serenity Seeker

Postby Serenity Seeker » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:01 pm

Dallas wrote:Regarding Step 10:

Bill Wilson, Step Ten: 12 & 12 wrote:As we work the first nine Steps, we prepare ourselves for the adventure of a new life. But when we approach Step Ten we commence to put our A.A. way of living to practical use, day by day, in fair weather or foul. Then comes the acid test: can we stay sober, keep in emotional balance, and live to good purpose under all conditions?

I believe this paragraph, written by Bill, sums it up perfectly.

The first nine Steps prepare us -- for the adventure of a new life.

When we approach Step 10, we commence "to put our A.A. way of life" (the first nine Steps) to practical use,

day by day (Steps 1-10 being the 24 hr per day, One Day At a Time "Design for Living" ).

in fair weather -- or, foul.

THEN comes the acid test:

a. Can we stay sober,
b. Stay in emotional balance,
c. And, live to good purpose,

Under ALL conditions?

Then, in Step Eleven, he writes:

Bill W. Step 11, wrote:There is a direct linkage among self-examination, meditation, and prayer. Taken separately, these practices can bring much relief and benefit. But when they are logically related and interwoven, the result is an unshakable foundation for life. Now and then we may be granted a glimpse of that ultimate reality which is God's kingdom. And we will be comforted and assured that our own destiny in that realm will be secure for so long as we try, however falteringly, to find and do the will of our own Creator.

" the direct linkage among self-examination (Step 10, meditation, and prayer (Step 11)

"But when they are logically related and interwoven, the result is an unshakable foundation for life. Now and then we may be granted a glimpse of that ultimate reality which is God's kingdom."

What I understand him saying is: Steps 1 through 9, prepare us for a "Daily Living" of Steps 10, 11 & 12.

And, when Steps 10 (self examination and inventory) AND 11, prayer & meditation -- provide that "unshakable foundation" so that we can stay sober, keep in emotional balance & live life to good purpose -- in ALL conditions.

My question has been: "How can we expect to have any foundation at ALL -- to prepare us for the challenges ahead, so that we CAN use the "AA Way of Life" to guide us -- from times of chaos and crisis in sobriety -- into the vision of God's will for our lives AND experience that vision of living in "God's kingdom" -- UNLESS, we have taken Steps 1 through 9?

Thus, the longer time we spend out there -- staying sober, one day at a time, without building that "foundation" and constructing the "arch, whereby we shall pass to freedom" (taking the Steps) -- we're like a ticking time bomb -- waiting to go off and any unsuspecting moment.

I believe that this is the primary reason -- that our Founder's & Pioneer's -- who's stories are in the first edition of the Big Book -- took the Steps IMMEDIATELY upon sobering up physically. And, they learned, that this was NECESSARY to be able to maintain our sobriety, and emotional balance, and continue the Good Life.

Dallas B.

You wrote:

You answered a question I posted a few moments ago, about Bill and Bob placing a time frame on working the Steps. Somehow when you share I do not let my mind think... I am a piece of crap, I really don't want this because I haven't done it yet. I feel hope because you share the Big Book (black and white) the design for living and your thoughts are always on target. I am a ticking time bomb, thanks so much Dallas. My homegroups name is a "New Way of Life", I need to get there and take the actions so I can help others, which in return helps us even more.

Have a good day, headed to work. Love you all for sharing.
Serenity Seeker

Postby Camel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:27 pm

Hey there, Serenity Seeker,

Indeed! "Oh those West Virginia hills, how majestic and how grand!" You know, I never noticed how "majestic" they really are, until I got sober. That's the Power this program introduces us to, through working the Steps. We see things differently. When I admitted I was powerless over alcohol, and that my life was unmanageable, I had to find some Power. How? That's exactly what the Big Book is about. It taught me that the Power was deep down inside myself. It taught me the only way I was going to find it was to seek it through the working and practicing of the 12 Steps. All of them, in order, as they are written. "Half-measures availed us nothing." Heard that before? It doesn't say half-measures availed us half results. It says, "availed us nothing." I encourage you, and invite you, quite frankly, to proceed with the Steps. Watch yourself "become amazed before you are half-way through." Watch yourself change. Share what you experience with others, and watch them change. Watch their eyes change. Watch their faces change. "We deal in changed lives." That's the Power!

Hub
Camel

Postby Serenity Seeker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:34 am

Camel wrote:Hey there, Serenity Seeker,

Indeed! "Oh those West Virginia hills, how majestic and how grand!" You know, I never noticed how "majestic" they really are, until I got sober. That's the Power this program introduces us to, through working the Steps. We see things differently. When I admitted I was powerless over alcohol, and that my life was unmanageable, I had to find some Power. How? That's exactly what the Big Book is about. It taught me that the Power was deep down inside myself. It taught me the only way I was going to find it was to seek it through the working and practicing of the 12 Steps. All of them, in order, as they are written. "Half-measures availed us nothing." Heard that before? It doesn't say half-measures availed us half results. It says, "availed us nothing." I encourage you, and invite you, quite frankly, to proceed with the Steps. Watch yourself "become amazed before you are half-way through." Watch yourself change. Share what you experience with others, and watch them change. Watch their eyes change. Watch their faces change. "We deal in changed lives." That's the Power!

Hub

Thanks Camel, so much. I appreciate you sharing and am listening with an open mind. Have a great day... morning, night? ! lol

Serenity Seeker
Serenity Seeker

Previous

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery