- The Alcoholics Prayer

The Alcoholics Prayer

Step 11: Prayer & Meditation

The Alcoholics Prayer

Postby Dallas » Thu May 04, 2006 3:35 am

The Alcoholics Prayer

At last the mystery of the Serenity Prayer has been solved. We have learned who wrote it and when it was written and how it came to the attention of the early A.A. members.

The timeless little prayer as been credited to almost every theologian, philosopher, and Saint known to man. The most popular opinion of it’s authorship favors St. Francis of Assisi.

It was actually written by Dr. Rienhold Nieburh of the Union Theological Seminary, New York City, in about 1932 as an ending to a longer prayer. In 1934, Dr. Howard Robbins, asked permission to use part of the longer prayer in a complication he was making at the time. It was published that year in Dr. Robbins Book of Prayers.

It came to the attention of an early A.A. member in 1939. He read it in an obituary in the New York Times. He liked it so much, he brought it to the little office on Vesey Street, for Bill W. to read. When Bill and the staff read the little prayer, they felt that it particularly suited the needs of A.A. Cards were printed and passed around. Thus, this simple little prayer became an integral part of the A.A. movement.

THE WAY IT WAS ACTUALLY WRITTEN WAS AS FOLLOWS:

“GOD, give me the Serenity
To accept things that cannot be changed,
Give me Courage to change things that must be changed,
And Wisdom to distinquish one from another.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby 1dayatatime36 » Thu May 04, 2006 5:15 am

Thanks for sharing that Dallas, Meditation and Prayer has always been a part of my life, but not in this sense, and so it is right on with what i am dealing with in my life today, thank you very much..have a good nite..and GOD Bless..Tonya
1dayatatime36

Postby Dallas » Thu May 04, 2006 6:09 am

Hey Tonya!!! Thanks for sharing! I always appreciate it when you take the time to share! I get a lot out of your messages!!!

You reminded me... that for many years before A.A., prayer had been a big part of my life, too! I was always praying "God!!!! Help me get out of this one!"

Then, after I came to A.A., before I started the 12 Steps, and while I was going through them... I often prayed "God!!! Help me get out of this one!!!"

Now, that I practice the 12 Steps... I sometimes pray "God... how did I do this again? How am I going to get out of this one? God, what can I do to take care of this one... and how can I stop doing it!!!" :wink:

I've discovered, that when I'll discipline myself to praying and meditating a couple of times a day... and hopefully, remembering to ask something like "God, what would you like me to do, today?" ... my days get much better. I've discovered that when I will do that more often, I usually have less of a need to be praying the prayers of "God, help me get this one fixed!" :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Thu May 04, 2006 6:29 am

Hey Tonya,

After I logged off... I thought some more about it... I thought of how often throughout each day I'm asking "God, please help me with this."

What a change, from praying "God, help me out of this." Or... "God, help me out with this" but, simply "God, help me with this."

I guess the reason it caught my attention... was that perhaps, there is significance for me to be thinking in terms of "in" rather than thinking in terms of "out". "In" as being in the moment with what I'm in... rather than "out" as in escaping or moving away from where I'm presently at.

Hmmm. Imagine that.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby 1dayatatime36 » Thu May 04, 2006 3:02 pm

That is why I, like many others, really enjoy it when you think, :wink: and post, because i am really able to grasp what it is that you are talking about, i can understand it, and if i feel that i am doing it one way, and it is not working for me, well, why not try it in a way that someone else is doing it that you can understand..I learn so much, everyday, i absolutely am living in the moment, and for me the moments are good by the GRACE of GOD!! Have a great day..Tonya
1dayatatime36

Postby Dallas » Fri May 05, 2006 4:44 am

Tonya, watching you demonstrate your faith tickles my heart, and I learn from you. Watching your spiritual growth and knowing about the tough things that you face everyday, brings new Light and sparkles to my eyes. Thank you for sharing your self, and your experience and your adventures with me. One of the most wonderful things that I can think of that I experience, is when I'm in that state of "amazement." As I watch people like you grow in A.A., and begin to open up, and to watch your spiritual garden begin to bloom... and to watch you handle your daily problems with the solution that we've all been given, it's a daily reminder to me that God really is. It is so awesome to see you find what I have found also. It makes me feel like I am on the same broad Highway of Happy Destiny with you, and that we really are in Fellowship of the Spirit. Thank you for sharing your faith with me. I learn from that also.

I was talking to a non-alcoholic friend today about my own adventures and trying to answer his questions about my experience as an alcoholic and my experience with the A.A. program of recovery. (He has very close relatives who are also alcoholic). My conversation with him reminded me that it took almost five years of sobriety for me... and about half way through my Ninth Step, before I really began to believe that A.A. was going to work for me! Coming from the bottomless pit of alcoholism that I had dug for myself.... I knew that A.A. would work for others... but, I was still afraid that I was too far gone, that my alcoholism had progressed too far, and that there was possibly no hope that A.A. or anything else would work for me, for the long haul.

I am so grateful that God has revealed Himself to me through you, and the countless others in our Fellowship that have shared their selves with me. It's just like watching people being raised from the dead, and watching the blind receive their sight again, and watching those who could not walk... to walk again. It is absolutely amazing... and it's the best show in town!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby 1dayatatime36 » Fri May 05, 2006 5:13 am

Well, thank you Dallas, really...all i can say to that is what "How it works" says, 'if you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it-then you are ready to follow directions'...i have never really followed directions before, and believe me, when i was using, my way was the only way, but you, among others, and this program have taught me that my way wasn't working for me, i was still an active alcoholic, wether i wanted to be or not, because i was doing it my way, now i am willing to try it any other way that will keep me sober, one day at a time..and this board helps me in ways unimaginable..GOD brought me here, and here is where i am going to stay and continue to learn how to make it work..thanks for sharing with me..GOD Bless..Tonya
1dayatatime36

Return to Sobriety Prayers