Compassion

Respect

Understanding

I might be totally wrong, but this is what i have come to Believe

Thanks all and i am glad to have found this site
BaseCamp

Postby Dallas » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:12 am

Hey BaseCamp,

Welcome to Step12.com!!! Glad you're here.

Thank you for sharing! Looking forward to reading more from you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby wareagle10 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:14 pm

Welcome Basecamp: Love is probably the hardest of emotions to explain or define. It's whatever you want it to be. Humans need it, most want it, it generally is a good thing, but not always, as the song says"Love Hurts". I do know that in the program that it is unconditional and given freely.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Take care and straight ahead, John.
wareagle10

What is Love?

Postby melrose » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:25 pm

BaseCamp- sounds like you've got your head on straight. The people you love are very lucky indeed.

Dallas, this is kinda tough. I sat down to write and suddenly I wasn't sure I knew what love was. However, I will make an attempt.

The love I would like to give and recieve is one that is not conditional; It involves understanding, honesty, and tolerance. There is open communication, support, open-mindedness, and intimacy (not always sexual). There is a wiilingness to grow, deep devotion, and above all genuine.

Wow, that's quite an order! No wonder I'm still single!

Melrose
melrose

Postby Dallas » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:11 am

Hey Melrose!

Thanks for sharing! I was already sitting down, when I decided to write this :wink: ... in regards to what you shared... but, now I'm kind of wordless about what to write about it! :lol: I enjoyed reading what you wrote ... I want to read it a few more times. And, then maybe I'll just enjoy a few more moments of silence with it.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Love...

Postby Dallas » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:33 am

I wonder if Love recognizes.... when someone else does it wrong?
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Rusty Zipper » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:43 am

maybe not at first.................... :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Postby cinderbobble » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:22 pm

Love is ineffable! Yes! That is what love is... it is something that you cannot put in words. (that's my intellectual understanding, mind you - for what it's worth! :) )

I am in a relationship with a fine man. He does not try to control, change me. I know that this is not 'perfect' love, but it's great! He is my teacher in many respects, but I find myself shocked at times when I discover he has (ACK!) clay feet! (so to speak folks :wink: )

At times I still find myself attracted to what could be bad for me. I know this is not acting within the integrity that the program offers me. So, I recognize this as a red flag now. I believe that if I have made a commitment, that I should keep it, and that is the integrity of this program. Maybe we are not married, but we do have a commitment to being true to each other. I do not feel guilty at 'looking,' but I do, at being unduly attracted to another and trying to hold on to the fantasy.

So, I believe we are given people, who supply us with ample opportunity to grow and become more fully ourselves and who we are meant to be. My b/f is a truly sweet person, who touches me deeply when he doesn't even realize it. For example, he balances his checkbook every (or almost every night)... and I don't even look at mine! Okay, I realize it takes different things to touch different people!

And then, there is my daughter - bless her soul! We are so much alike, that it astounds me, but she is also so different, and that is what interests me.

I believe love, ineffable that I believe it to be, supplies us with what we need to enact our growth and development as human beings, and helps us to forgive ourselves for what previously seems unforgivable. It brings life to our lives, and endows us with a sense of humility previously unavailable due to our egos.

That is MY limited understanding, but I am hoping that I may be open to growing and understanding. Thanks folks for letting me share.
cinderbobble

Love is...

Postby Anne » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:12 pm

I ask myself: Do I want the same for ______ as I want for myself (happy, joyous, free)?

If my answer is yes, then I love them.

I cannot feel the love that others give me; I can only feel the love I give others. If you have a hole in the soul, try loving others. Loving others is what fills it, being loved does not.

To me, Love is a true test of doing God's will. I know that I am doing God's will if I can honestly say that I love everyone...absolutely everyone. Including you. :)[/list]
Anne

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:08 pm

Anne, welcome to the site!!! Glad to have you here with us, and thank you for sharing and participating!!!!

I really enjoyed what you wrote! I hope to read more from you!

Keep coming back!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Single and Dating in Recovery