- Another Day in Recovery

Another Day in Recovery

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Another Day in Recovery

Postby Tim » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:58 am

I just found out today that I have prostate cancer. Other than feeling numbed (temporarily I hope) by the news, I can begin to use the tools of recovery for this as I have for other problems I have encountered in recovery....

Step One: We admitted that we were powerless over (prostate cancer)....
Tim

Postby Dallas » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:22 am

Tim,

Thank you for sharing. My first reaction, was to say, and definitely to mean, "sorry to hear what you're going through." So, I'll go ahead and say that, because I do feel it. I don't know what I would feel... if it was me going to the doc to get the news. I would probably be really numb about it.

Right as I was going to type about "sorry", the idea hit me in the head, of all the times I've personally experienced negative news and events, and also watched as others experienced serious problems ... that something really good ended up coming out of the deal.

So, most of all, I wish the best for you, and I'm thinking the best for you, and I'm hoping the best for you.

I'm a little "wordless" right now... that feeling of "Geez, this is serious. What could I possibly say?"

Being that age... myself, where I'm supposed to be watching out for the same kind of problem... I have done some reading on it and when the news comes on, it causes my ears to raise. I have read and heard promising stuff of hope about them being able to treat it.

Gee, buddy. I feel for you, right now. I may be one of the least when it comes to having clout with God, but you'll definitely be in my prayers and meditations.

The best to you,

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:31 am

Thanks for your kind response, Dallas. I feel numb, but that's okay. I don't want to get into self-pity, an emotion with no useful value. To ask "Why me?" is not the right question, but "Why Not Me?"
Tim

Surgery Went OK

Postby Tim » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:16 pm

This is to let you all know that I made it thru prostate cancer surgery ok and am home recuperating after a few days in the hospital. The surgery went smoothly with no complications.
Tim

Thank you

Postby Dallas » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:29 pm

Thanks for letting us know, Tim.

You've been on my mind lately, wondering how things were going in regards to your health. I'm very glad to hear that your surgery went well.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Pamphlets

Postby wareagle10 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:01 pm

I would like to clear up a possible misunderstanding due to my errant way of writing and a less precise definition of the pamphlets or soft literature.

I did not mean to convey the thought that the soft literature or pamphlets are a replacement for the big book, or, that the program of AA is contained in them. The soft literature or pamphlets are explanations and answers about AA. It is there to help guide and convince the newcomer that there is help here and that if they stay they can achieve sobriety also.

The program of AA is contained in the first 164 pages of the BB, not in the soft literature or pamphlets.

I am a exponent and a proponent on the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, I did not mean to promote anything else.

Take care and straight ahead, John.
wareagle10

Cancer Free

Postby Tim » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:49 pm

I had a post-surgical visit with my urologist today. He also reviewed the pathology results with me. The prostate tumor was confined to the prostate but was within a hair's breadth of the outside of the prostate (that's when it can begin to spread). No further treatment is required.

The surgery staples holding me together came out today. The catheter comes out next week. I'm getting to like not having to get up in the middle of the night to make my bladder gladder. And our two dachshunds, who are my home care nurses, think it is very cool that I have a urine bag strapped to my leg.
Tim

Postby Dallas » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:33 pm

:lol: Yep. Dogs are the best in being caregivers!

Thanks for the update, Tim. I hope you're feeling much better.

Best regards to you,

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Happpy for you

Postby 918gma » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:16 am

Great news. Glad things are going well. Sounds like you have some good care takers.
God bless and keep you. Check in often and give us updates.
918gma

Postby anniemac » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:00 pm

Hi Tim,

I'm Anne, new to this site....glad to hear that your surgery went well.

Best wishes for a comfortable recovery.

Anne
anniemac

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery