- A Brief Reprieve: Somewhere Between Steps 5 and 8

A Brief Reprieve: Somewhere Between Steps 5 and 8

Discussions related to Sponsors, Sponsoring, Working with others,

A Brief Reprieve: Somewhere Between Steps 5 and 8

Postby Scott: Alcoholic » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:51 am

I'll start by saying that I would never assume to make light of ANY of the 12 Steps: this program saves lives. However, in my continuing effort to keep my sponsee’s attention, I will often throw in a ‘Scottism’ to make sure that he is still with me and paying attention. Once in a while, ‘Scottisms’ come in handy to lighten or evaporate any fear or tension that may be lurking; it may also come in handy to show that, while all of this is very important, we do not have to remain rigid and stoic throughout the entire process – or for life. We came here to experience joyous, happy and free; I figure that there is no time like the present to show some of that [when working with a sponsee or potential sponsee]. I feel that sometimes it’s ok to put a bit of a 'spin' on something if the 'spin' doesn’t change the context of the message. Such things often help us to remember as well. This is one such ‘spin’ that I used recently…

I thought that the interval between Steps 6 and 7 was a good time for a breath of air. My sponsee has just confided in me things that, maybe, no other human being has ever heard from him; the weight of his having taken this important step stays for a while [and, well, to me…it seems apparent and appropriate that it should – at least for a little while]. But before I had him go off to meet with his Higher Power again and start chatting up God about that character defect and shortcoming stuff [that we are all just so eager to admit to and talk about]…I wanted to offer my sponsee a unique perspective on the job description for that 'new position’ that he is about to be fulfilling.

I put it out there [something] like this:

“I would like you to consider this – it’s very important, so stay with me. Understand that God is the Postmaster for the entire universe. Doing the 4th, 5th and 6th Steps are like taking a civil service exam; we've passed the exam and now we're about to –in effect- swear an oath to our duty, since we are now ready to be His Postmen.
All we do – each day – is check in with God for our route so that we can deliver His message. He will provide everything that we need to get the job done; He’ll also take care of all of our other worldly needs – every one of them…all we need to do is be willing and to act on carrying His message to His other kids, for the rest of our lives, every time that He asks us to. Rain, sleet, snow, hail or balmy sunshiny days – that message must be your priority and it must be delivered, on time.â€
Scott: Alcoholic

Postby Dallas » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:25 pm

:lol: :lol: Thanks for sharing that Scott! :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby DebbieV » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:21 pm

I just started sponsoring a lady not to long ago, we have gone through the steps together already. However, I think I will ask her this today. I thought that was really good. And not bad to remember for myself. :D
[quote]“I would like you to consider this – it’s very important, so stay with me. Understand that God is the Postmaster for the entire universe. Doing the 4th, 5th and 6th Steps are like taking a civil service exam; we've passed the exam and now we're about to –in effect- swear an oath to our duty, since we are now ready to be His Postmen.
All we do – each day – is check in with God for our route so that we can deliver His message. He will provide everything that we need to get the job done; He’ll also take care of all of our other worldly needs – every one of them…all we need to do is be willing and to act on carrying His message to His other kids, for the rest of our lives, every time that He asks us to. Rain, sleet, snow, hail or balmy sunshiny days – that message must be your priority and it must be delivered, on time.â€
DebbieV

Return to Sponsors Forum