- Any Chefs Here?

Any Chefs Here?

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Any Chefs Here?

Postby ram6 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:54 pm

Hi
I have long term solid sobriety and want to go to culinary school as a career change.. i have a concern though of the alcohol that is sometimes used in cooking especially wine...I would like to know how any of you chefs deal with this,,,,i need some suggestions,,,
thanks
ram6

Postby Dallas » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:25 pm

I'm not a Chef, but I did do a lot of bartending during my first couple of years in sobriety. I've got friends who are sober that own liquor stores. I've got friends who are sober and they tend bar and work in liquor stores. We seem to agree on one thing... we as alcoholics can not attempt any taste tests... let alone have a drink.

Most of the A.A.'s that knew that I was tending bar thought I was nuts. They were probably right. :wink: I stayed sober but I did quit tending bar.

Would I do it again? Maybe. Maybe not. I would definitely talk to my sponsor about it, first... before I did it.

There is plenty of good advice in the Big Book, for questions like this. I've found that some good advice to myself has been... if in doubt... don't. :wink:

You mention that you have long term solid sobriety. That would seem to have different meanings for different folks.

I'm in frequent contact with alcoholics who had long term solid sobriety before their last spree. :lol: Hopefully, I'll never have to ask them to sponsor me. :lol:

Good luck with your decision and the possible new career choice!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:45 pm

Hi Ram 6

I know this might sound pretty simple, but I guess if it were me, I just wouldn't cook with wine or alcohol. I think you can still cook a very fancy gormet meal, and not need to use alcohol. I don't even think if you go to France there are any laws that say you have to cook with wine, or drink it with a meal. I say first things first. Sorry if that sounds dumb.
garden variety

Postby Buck V » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:11 pm

I've heard that when alcohol is used in cooking, the alcohol actually evaporates during the cooking process leaving only the flavor, like in a wine sauce for example, so foods cooked with wine or brandy or beer SHOULD be ok. Seems to me that the flavor might become a trigger however. I for one don't want to test the theory. Just don't taste test the ingredients PRIOR to cooking.
Buck V

Postby Anne » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:11 pm

My mom was not a "chef" per se, but she's cooked in finer restaurants. She once assured me that the alcohol DOES evaporate out of it. At the time, she said she'd NEVER want to jeopardize my sobriety, and would tell me NOT to cook with wine if she thought it were not safe for me. So, I cook with wine once in a great while.

I did go to a chinese restaurant once and ordered some kind of "rum shrimp" or something. The rum was NOT cooked out of it. So, what I do is this: When I order out, I ask for no alcohol (they use chicken stock if they need to replace the liquid). When I'm the cook, I have no worries 'cause I know it's going to cook long enough to evaporate.

Also, I think the school will likely have excellent information for you. I would think they'll be able to provide substitutions.

You're making me hungry.
Anne

Postby rpallen » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:34 pm

hi,
job type does not matter.### ####
what matters is the first drink.
stand on the railroad tracks and see if the engine or the caboose is the one that kills you. that is how i see the first drink.
also, i have never seen a recipe that has the chef sampling the wine,etc.
stick to the recipes of AA and you will be okay

rich A (rpallen)
rpallen

A pinch of prevention

Postby Dallas » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:57 pm

Hello Rich, welcome to the forum!

I like your suggestion “stick to the recipes of AA and you will be okayâ€
Dallas
Site Admin

hello

Postby karachifoo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:09 am

Buck V wrote:I've heard that when alcohol is used in cooking, the alcohol actually evaporates during the cooking process leaving only the flavor, like in a wine sauce for example, so foods cooked with wine or brandy or beer SHOULD be ok. Seems to me that the flavor might become a trigger however. I for one don't want to test the theory. Just don't taste test the ingredients PRIOR to cooking.

i think use cooking oil instead of drink or beer 8)
karachifoo

Postby jzarvey » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:54 am

It seems to me that even if 100% of the alcohol were cooked out, I have covered the physical allergy but I still have the mental obsession. That "mental twist" as the Big Book calls it will lead me down a path I don't want to go down. I have a friend in the program who was lucky enough to come back to the program after convincing himself that it was OK to drink non-alcoholic beer. That non-alcoholic beer led him to the real deal and luckily he found his way back to AA.

For me, if it contains or mimics alcohol, I don't touch it.

Jim
jzarvey

Postby Dallas » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:58 am

Thanks for sharing and refreshing this important topic. You hit it right on w/ "the mental twist."
Dallas
Site Admin

Next

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober